Turn on thread page Beta

Would you vote for a Muslim Prime Minister? watch

• View Poll Results: Would you vote a Muslim for Prime Minister?
    Yes
    58.16%
    No
    41.84%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    I know you don't technically vote for Prime Ministers but fo your local MP, but if the leader of the party you support was a Muslim, would you vote for him to be Prime Minister?
    I really couldn't give a **** what religion/race/sexuality/gender they are as long as they have half decent policies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saba XD)
    I as a Muslim, would vote for a Christian, Atheist, Agnostic, Jew, Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim or whatever religious beliefs they hold or don't, as long as they're capable of fulfilling their duties as a PM. Why does it matter what religious beliefs they have?
    Religious beliefs would matter if they compromised the candidate. If someone followed a very extreme interpretation of a religion, the religious beliefs would play a vital role in me not voting for them. If they are able to separate religion from politics, have decent policies and are a capable candidate though, I would support them.

(Original post by kangsterf)
    No way. This is not a Muslim country and I would never want a Muslim ruling this wonderful progressive society where we have womens' rights, gay marriage, LGBT rights, justice, peace and freedom.
    Sadiq Khan interestingly voted in favour of gay marriage.

ReputationRep:
    Even if it said 'Would you vote for a poor, Japanese, 12 year old Prime Minister', as long as they have the ability to truly help us through policies the voting ppl agree with, why would there be any reason to not vote yes?

However, you said a Muslim not a Prime Minister bringing Sharia Law so it doesn't matter at all TBH.

ReputationRep:
    If they're the best candidate for the job at the time of the election and leading a party whose policies I support, yes.

ReputationRep:
    Why not? This is a pretty absurd question. As long as a candidate has good policies/is a good politician/you see him as properly governing and representig the UK, what difference does his religion make?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fayeztheman)
    No, I don't want Sharia Law.
    Voting for a Muslim prime minister (in a DEMOCRACY) = Voting for Sharia law

A new level of stupid.

ReputationRep:
    No chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nick6565)
    As the official religion of the UK is Christianity i can't see it working that well tbh
    The UK doesn't have an official religion, only England does. The Anglican Church holds no official status in the other constituent countries.

Also, by this logic we'd have to eliminate the majority of MPs. Many are atheists, (e.g. Nick Clegg), many are Catholics (e.g. Liam Fox, Andy Burnham), and I expect there are many Methodists, Presbyterians, etc, as well as those minority religions and a substantial number who are simply agnostic or undeclared.

ReputationRep:
    Religion is mostly irrelevant unless he/she bases her/his decisions on commands given to him/her by a deity.

Tbh, it's a tricky question. How possible is it for someone to earnestly be a believer in God and then not have his faith influence policy? is that even possible?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I would not have a problem with it, as long as I supported most of their views and they weren't an absolute toss pot i'd vote for them. In fact I hope Sadiq Khan runs in a few years because we could do with someone actually competent in charge.

ReputationRep:
    Why do most people assume that if that happened they would inflict shariah law upon them?

Plus if they are in a certain party the policies have to be agreed upon, if they can keep this country and check and not run it to the ground then why the hell not regardless of the religion, hell even if they were a devil worshipper i couldn't careless aslong as they did the job correctly

ReputationRep:
    Strongly depends on particular fraction of Islam such candidate would be of.

(Original post by Isaac Caletrio)
    Why not? This is a pretty absurd question. As long as a candidate has good policies/is a good politician/you see him as properly governing and representig the UK, what difference does his religion make?
    Most of spiders are not dangerous, but If you are somewhere in a jungle arachnophobia will help you stay alive.

(Original post by TastelessGum)
    Tbh, it's a tricky question. How possible is it for someone to earnestly be a believer in God and then not have his faith influence policy? is that even possible?

I don't think so, uless a believer follows some particular version of his religion that demands to act exactly the same way in public affairs, as na atheist would.

Socinian christians for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    Sadiq Khan interestingly voted in favour of gay marriage.
    Indeed, so did most of the Muslim MPs. A couple abstained, and only one (Rehman Chishti - Conservative) actually voted against.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'd like someone who's able to draw a line between religion and running a country

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If he/she is a non-nonpracticing Muslim in the way that Cameron is a nonpracticing Christian then I would if I agreed with his/her policies and proposals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    I'd like someone who's able to draw a line between religion and running a country

Posted from TSR Mobile
    John Locke

ReputationRep:
    Maybe if Maajid Nawaz was running or some other secular liberal Muslim reformer. Honestly Cameron was too religious for me. I'm waiting for the day a genuine secularist who is an favour of removing tax-payer funded faith schools come along.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't vote for someone believing in any religion of the Book.

ReputationRep:
    If I agree with their political beliefs then yes I would.

ReputationRep:
    If their name was Maajid Nawaaz then yes, if not then probably not.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.