Turn on thread page Beta

Are people that are against Halal slaughter islamphobic? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuba123)
    That moment you realise that non-Muslims are capable of evil things too.
    “Without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion*.”
    - Steven Weinberg

* Or other similar ideology that abrogates moral responsibility to a higher power, and dehumanises any "out group" (my addition)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    “Without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion*.”
    - Steven Weinberg

* Or other similar ideology that abrogates moral responsibility to a higher power, and dehumanises any "out group" (my addition)
    I get it, you hate God. Good for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuba123)
    I get it, you hate God. Good for you.
    How can I hate something that doesn't exist?
    No, I hate organised religion, specifically the Abrahamic variety. More particularly, I hate what it does to people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    How can I hate something that doesn't exist?
    No, I hate organised religion, specifically the Abrahamic variety. More particularly, I hate what it does to people.
    Sound mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sternumator)
    I wish more people would be like me and admit that they don't care about animals because if as a society we continue down the path of personifying animals then the only destination is veganism.
    Is that a problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Someboady)

• No electric shock, bullet or any other means should be used before slaughtering. Using any such method may lead to the death of the animal before it is cut. Islam prohibits Muslims from eating any meat coming from an animal that is dead before slaughter. Muslims are also advised to avoid eating anything doubtful.

This is the main issue of contention as it might increase the animal's pain. I thought halal forbad stunning, but most halal meat in the UK is stunned. Can anyone clarify?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    [/list]
    This is the main issue of contention as it might increase the animal's pain. I thought halal forbad stunning, but most halal meat in the UK is stunned. Can anyone clarify?
    Stunning is not forbidden per say. One of the fundamental aspects of Halal is that the animal MUST be alive before slaughter. Unfortunately stunning CANNOT guarantee this. There is always the risk that the animal could die from the stun, especially weaker ones. Thus many mosques and imams (religious leaders) advise against eating "halal" meat from producers who stun their meat (i.e. Halal Food Authority).But at the end of the day, It is up to the individual to decide whether he is willing to take the risk.

With regards to whether it will increase pain... We can't say. Our religion says that its the most painless way of slaughter and so that's what we believe. Its okay to disagree with that of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    And properly carried out, it was probably the best method of ensuring the best compromise of pain reduction and bleed-out. In he 7th century. But we are no longer in the 7th century, we are in the 21st century. The method that actually causes the least amount of suffering is to stun first and use the "thoracic stick" cut rather than the "neck cut".

Humans are "semi-vegitarian", or "omnivorous".

Are they? Reference please.

This is not accurate. There are many halal certification bodies that permit electro-stunning.[/list]
    If the animal is fully conscious when its throat is cut, then yes.

Simple question:
    You are about to be killed by having your throat cut and bleeding to death.
    Would you choose to be A) unconscious when the cut is made, or B) fully conscious?
    If your answer is A, then there is no reason for not providing the same for animals slaughtered for food.
    We don't know that for certain. Nobody knows what causes the animal the least amount of pain.

Read Imam Malik's Bab Al-Lahm (Consumption of Meat)

Yes, and for that reason it may or may not (it runs the risk) be halal because of the precondition that the animal must be alive at the time of slaughter.

The question is flawed, we're talking about the animal being killed by the stun rather than the blade... so:
    would you rather be killed by electrocution (which is basically torture) or be killed by a clean cut?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Is that a problem?
    As long as I'm free to eat as much meat as I want in my lifetime, which I think I will be, then it's not a problem for me. I suppose if future generations don't eat meat, they won't know what they are missing and it won't be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Someboady)
    We don't know that for certain. Nobody knows what causes the animal the least amount of pain.
    Yes we do. There have been several studies that measured the ECG of animals during different types of slaughter, and there are clear results of there being reduction in the activity in the parts of the brain responsible for responding to pain signals from the nerves.

Read Imam Malik's Bab Al-Lahm (Consumption of Meat)
    I think the scarcity and cost of meat in 7the century Arabia is not really a surprise. I think if you look at most medieval societies, meat would be scare for all but the wealthy.

As you bring up Malik, there is an interesting hadith in his Muwatta that seems to imply that halal slaughter is not necessary.

"The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, was asked, 'Messenger of Allah! Some people from the desert bring us meat, and we do not know whether the name of Allah has been mentioned over it or not.' The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, 'Mention the name of Allah over it and eat.'

Yes, and for that reason it may or may not (it runs the risk) be halal because of the precondition that the animal must be alive at the time of slaughter.
    If animals are shown to generally recover from the stun, it is not unreasonable to assume that any given stunned animal will survive it.

The question is flawed, we're talking about the animal being killed by the stun rather than the blade... so:
    No we aren't. We are talking about having your throat cut conscious or unconscious.
    would you rather be killed by electrocution (which is basically torture) or be killed by a clean cut?
    I would rather be electro-stunned first, as it renders you unconscious instantly. You literally don't have time to register any pain before you are unconscious.
    And electro-stunning is not "basically torture"! You're thinking of applying the electrodes of a car battery to the genitals.
    Twe completely different things. Like the earlier poster who thought that a cattle-prod was used to stun animals! LOL!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm highly critical of Islam just as I am highly critical of Christianity Judaism and Hinduism. I am critical of all religion. If you are going to call me islamphobic you have to call me Christaphobic judaphobic and hindaphobic too.

I hate the term islamphobic religion is an idea and their is nothing racist in been critical of or opposing an idea.

If I said all Muslims are X or all Christians are X etc then sure there is a problem their. However been critical of a religion should be perfect ally acceptable we don't need blasphemy laws.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.