Turn on thread page Beta
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Just_a_mum)
    Thank you for replying so quickly - I appreciate how busy you must be at the moment.

She will of course email as soon as/if she has any actual clashes. However, as there are potential clashes with all of the Cambridge interview days, I'm not sure whether emailing now would be helpful.
    You're welcome, yes pretty busy but trying to find time for TSR!

Emailing now at least flags up the issue in the admissions co-ordinator's mind and that will be helpful for him/her. In most cases like these, it never needs to reach the AT's desk as it has been handled successfully by the applicant and the co-ordinator. Early and pertinent information is hugely helpful for us in making the process run smoothly for candidates and for us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions)
    The only colleges that I know for certain are not using Section 2 for de-selection in all subjects (but are using it in selection) are Churchill and Pembroke. Both have advertised this on their websites. I don;t know of any others, though if TSR applicants have been told this by their college do please share.
    Bit confused and sorry if I am reading this too literally but wasn't it explicitly mentioned several times that there would be no deselection for interview based off of the admissions assessments?

I thought there was a holistic assessment of the entire application as a whole or some similar method

Posted from TSR Mobile
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Strimpy)
    Bit confused and sorry if I am reading this too literally but wasn't it explicitly mentioned several times that there would be no deselection for interview based off of the admissions assessments?

I thought there was a holistic assessment of the entire application as a whole or some similar method

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There's no sole use of the admissions assessments for de-selection but they will be part of it.

ReputationRep:
    There's no sole use of the admissions assessments for de-selection but they will be part of it.
    Ahh ok thanks for clarifying, very worried for a second then 😅

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for running these threads, they've been really helpful!

My interview has been booked early enough in the morning that it wouldn't be possible for me to get a train to Cambridge that same day (5 hour train journey) - is this enough to get overnight accommodation with my College? Also, do I need to send my Interview Confirmation Form by post, or can I send it by email?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by trythis)
    Thanks for running these threads, they've been really helpful!

My interview has been booked early enough in the morning that it wouldn't be possible for me to get a train to Cambridge that same day (5 hour train journey) - is this enough to get overnight accommodation with my College? Also, do I need to send my Interview Confirmation Form by post, or can I send it by email?
    No problem, my pleasure. If you can't get a train in time on the morning of the interview, then tell your college this and ask for accommodation. If they have it available they'll give it to you. Congratulations on your interview!

ReputationRep:
    Hi again, just got another question, I'm applying to history and politics. The applicant notes I was sent said that:

"Applicants will have separate interviews from Directors of Study and others for both parts of the joint honours degree. "

Sorry if I'm reading this wrong but does this mean that I could have 3+ interviews on the same day? One with Politics DoS, one with history DoS and to quote the notes directly, "others" as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi again, just got another question, I'm applying to history and politics. The applicant notes I was sent said that:

"Applicants will have separate interviews from Directors of Study and others for both parts of the joint honours degree. "

Sorry if I'm reading this wrong but does this mean that I could have 3+ interviews on the same day? One with Politics DoS, one with history DoS and to quote the notes directly, "others" as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It doesn't necessarily mean that. You might get a third interview (a general interview), I know some colleges do that for History (Selwyn springs to mind). What in most cases it will mean, however, is that you will have two interviews - one with the Politics DoS and another interviewer (probably a fellow in politics if they have a second one) and another with the History DoS and another interviewer (probably another History fellow). The other interviewers are the 'others' quoted in the notes.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

When will international applicants (who have taken pre-interview assessments) be notified of the overseas interviews?

Also, will the dates for overseas interviews be significantly different from those taking place at Cambridge?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by sirious)
    Hi,

When will international applicants (who have taken pre-interview assessments) be notified of the overseas interviews?

Also, will the dates for overseas interviews be significantly different from those taking place at Cambridge?
    Which country did you apply for an interview in? There are different dates ffor different countries.

ReputationRep:
    Which country did you apply for an interview in? There are different dates ffor different countries.
    I have applied for an interview in Hong Kong
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by sirious)
    I have applied for an interview in Hong Kong
    You should hear fairly soon. Colleges were asked to nominate students last week for Hong Kong. In the case of most overseas interviews the assessments aren't going to be used for deselection for interview overseas. If you aren't given a Hong Kong interview, however, you might be offered an interview in Cambridge and there the assessments might play a part in that decision. The Hong Kong interviews are 1, 2, 5-9 December, so pretty close to the Cambridge interviews which mainly start on 5 December.

ReputationRep:
    You should hear fairly soon. Colleges were asked to nominate students last week for Hong Kong. In the case of most overseas interviews the assessments aren't going to be used for deselection for interview overseas. If you aren't given a Hong Kong interview, however, you might be offered an interview in Cambridge and there the assessments might play a part in that decision. The Hong Kong interviews are 1, 2, 5-9 December, so pretty close to the Cambridge interviews which mainly start on 5 December.
    Thanks for the information!

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't necessarily mean that. You might get a third interview (a general interview), I know some colleges do that for History (Selwyn springs to mind). What in most cases it will mean, however, is that you will have two interviews - one with the Politics DoS and another interviewer (probably a fellow in politics if they have a second one) and another with the History DoS and another interviewer (probably another History fellow). The other interviewers are the 'others' quoted in the notes.
    Ok, thanks for helping me out again 😃

On a side note, do you know if Homerton do general interviews for history or hsps? (As in guessing they'd follow the same policy for hispol)

Plus (and sorry to keep bombarding you with questions!) do you know if there's any interview practise material online which I could use in preparation for politics interview? I'm aware history department have got videos and stuff but haven't found anything for politics

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If we have multiple interviews, do they take place on the same date or spread out over a number of days?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Ok, thanks for helping me out again 😃

On a side note, do you know if Homerton do general interviews for history or hsps? (As in guessing they'd follow the same policy for hispol)

Plus (and sorry to keep bombarding you with questions!) do you know if there's any interview practise material online which I could use in preparation for politics interview? I'm aware history department have got videos and stuff but haven't found anything for politics

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not that I am aware of but I guess you'll find out one way or the other soon! I don't know of any politics material online. Just read up on your PS and essays and think about political events recently - one or two might spring to mind...

ReputationRep:
    Not that I am aware of but I guess you'll find out one way or the other soon! I don't know of any politics material online. Just read up on your PS and essays and think about political events recently - one or two might spring to mind...
    Haha hopefully I will I'm not sure my chances of interview are that great!

And ok I'll try my best I can, not sure if getting extremely angry would be a good idea for my interview though 😄 🙃

Plus are you aware if we're meant to know any political theory or anything, just a little bit worried about that as I've never studied politics in any capacity at school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Haha hopefully I will I'm not sure my chances of interview are that great!

And ok I'll try my best I can, not sure if getting extremely angry would be a good idea for my interview though 😄 🙃

Plus are you aware if we're meant to know any political theory or anything, just a little bit worried about that as I've never studied politics in any capacity at school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You aren't expected to know political theory but signs of engagement with politics and ideas beyond simply cheering leading for a particular party or cause is useful.

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome, yes pretty busy but trying to find time for TSR!

Emailing now at least flags up the issue in the admissions co-ordinator's mind and that will be helpful for him/her. In most cases like these, it never needs to reach the AT's desk as it has been handled successfully by the applicant and the co-ordinator. Early and pertinent information is hugely helpful for us in making the process run smoothly for candidates and for us.
    No longer a hypothetical issue. An interview has come up for another medical school on the middle day of the 3 days she had been asked to keep clear, so she will email her college admissions co-ordinator when she gets home from school this evening, as you have recommended. I am hoping that her college admissions team will be as understanding as you have implied.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Just_a_mum)
    No longer a hypothetical issue. An interview has come up for another medical school on the middle day of the 3 days she had been asked to keep clear, so she will email her college admissions co-ordinator when she gets home from school this evening, as you have recommended. I am hoping that her college admissions team will be as understanding as you have implied.
    Well, first of all congratulations to her on getting the other interview, that's excellent news. By keeping the college informed they can now ensue that they don't schedule an interview on that day. They won't have decided yet on Medicine applicants because of the BMAT and those decisions won;t be finalised for another two weeks probably so there's plenty of time for the college to make arrangements.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.