Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in flat 38 room 5, i dont think I put down the beeches in my picks but it seems a nice place - I'm a little on concerned about the fact its not university owned and so we dont get the phone service. Does anyone know what the internet connection is like? and also does anyone know if many people who live there walk to the vale for the catering services?

Look forward to seeing you there!

ReputationRep:
    It's not owned by the university?!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I didn't realise we didnt get the phone service......Oh well. Mobiles all the way. And talknerdytome, it's owned bya company called Liberty Living, so you can check their website out if you want. But I wouldnt worry Alexander T, cos they have student specific accommodation for Unis like Sheffield, Cardiff, Manchester. We should be okay. Fingers crossed anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, what's the phone service?

ReputationRep:
    Well, in all the other accommodation owned by the Uni, internal calls are free. So you can call anyone up in another hall without paying. Which would have been good. But I guess we dont get that.

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok, well we could all just use something like skype instead? Shouldn't be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, or we could actually talk to people face to face! Can you imagine the looks we'd get! Ha!

ReputationRep:
    you still get the free phone line at the beeches - last year the fact that it was owned by liberty living instead of the uni made no difference whatever - the internet connection is slow - very slow - its shared by every1 at the uni - its ok at 3am tho.
    tbh i dont know anyone who travelled to the vale to use the catering services - its not hard to cook - its cheeper - it can sumtimes be fun and u can give yourself bigger portions

ReputationRep:
    are these definitely the cheapest accomodation available ? cos my loan is just goine to cover this and there will be nothing left for me, is anyone else in the same position ? and what is teh termly amount to pay exactly ??

ReputationRep:
    the beeches is the cheapest accomodation availiable - at least its not 5 grand like shakelton is - most people will be in the same situation as you - last year i survived on my overdraft which i have only just paid off now - i think the payements are about 1200 for the first 2 terms and 700 for the last - try not to worry about it too much shortage of money is part of student life - ull find a way around it

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the loan isn't really meant to cover anything other than accommodation etc. From what i've heard everybody just finds a way to cope with the lack of money, be that through sainsbury's basics or getting a job!

ReputationRep:
    mmm so the loan won't even cover it, i'll have to take 200 evry term from my overdraft...my friends at manchester only pay 600 squid a term, quite annoying, i havnt ven had time to see teh accomodation i hope its nice for that price!!

ReputationRep:
    should be quite nice this year they have refurbished it - ur gettin better value this year than we had last year - and if u get desperate u can take part in sum medical trial held at the uni - never quite reached that level of desperation last year - was tempted by the sperm donation 25 quid a go

ReputationRep:
    25 quid for a ****? not bad really...

ReputationRep:
    apart from..they can now tell the kid who their donor was...and what medical trials have they got for the girls!...so are we paying extra for the location, the quality of the accomodation or is brmingham housing just expensive? I have heard its full of raas?

ReputationRep:
    the areas expensive - the accomodation would be cheaper anywhere else - except london - every1s pretty safe tbh especially at the beeches as its the cheapest every1 just wants to hav fun - and the sperms used for medical experiments not impregnation so no kid to find out - not that i wud do it neway - well not yet

ReputationRep:
    im not sure what theyve got for girls - its all listed under the job section of the guild website

ReputationRep:
    £74 a week isn't bad at all for halls, my boyfriend paid £95 (he did have en-suite, but was self-catered) and that was in Exeter. He got the basic maintenance loan and nothing else and fell £200 short a month for his accommodation, so I wouldn't think you'd have any problems with £74 a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cinnamonhearts)
    I have heard its full of raas?
    what the hell is a raa?

ReputationRep:
    I think they mean posh people. You get that with any red-brick university though unfortunately!

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.