Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations, you're a student. [and you're a lucky one at that..not only do you have 2 loving parents you can go home to during holidays, but they pay your uni accommodation too]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thud)
    I survived on £10 a week this year, I paid my own accommodation, stop being such a whining little pussy and get a job you lazy git.
    Me and the OP are probably the lucky minority whose parents are paying for their accommodation - I agree with Thud - suck it up, stop whining, swallow your pride, and go and find a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crimson Black)
    I think you're the most idiotic of the lot. Screaming "GET A JOB" is easy enough when you're not the one looking for one.
    Thanks for the assumption and personal attack. Unnessasary but i'll reply anyway. I currently am looking for a job, and screening over the job websites theres loads going at the moment, especially with the new uni term about to start again, now couldnt be a better time to job hunt.

She's already said she's looking for one, but hasn't found one yet. Your advice isn't exactly helpful. Wait, in fact, it's not helpful at all.
    No, shes looking for a job but hasnt found one yet which meets her percieved level of stature. If she's going to be picky about a job purely because of the reputation, she only has herself to blame.

I spent all summer trying to get a job in London - and believe me, it wasn't for lack of trying, or qualification - and I found none. I ended up with a volunteer job in a London museum (no pay, but at least there's experience). "Oh noes, not trying hard enough" is not good enough for. Today's surplus of applicants means it's incredibly hard to find a job. Yup, you might have noticed that I've worked at Maccy Ds, as I've mentioned previously.
    And i appreciate your effort, but in this situation she has dug her own grave
    by claiming some jobs effectivly arn't good enough for her.

Who says she's spending money on crap? Nobody. Not even her. Stop assuming.
    Yup, how could i assume that someone who has had jobs in the past, parents pay for accomodation and gets a student loan wouldnt have much money because she's buying 'crap'... oh wait.. i see that as a perfectly valid assumption.

Btw, why do you call yourself Reue? The German version of regret? What exactly do you regret? (that is actually a genuine question that I'm interested in )
    I was once in an online group with some germans and needed a tag, opened up a German dictionary and randomly picked a short, easy to remember word that i thought looked good. Thats about all there was to it, I have no regrets (except not being in Reading for the festival this year!)

ReputationRep:
    I feel that all the prissy/spoilt brat comments are completely unjustified.You really should have read the post properly.

Firstly,I am looking very,very hard for a job.I have been al the way around the shopping centre and elsewhere in my uni town and handed in CV's and application forms left right and centre.I plan to go back up there again and again and again until I find something.I have also been on job websites,and the website of every single retail outlet in town looking for vacancies and address to send my Cv and a covering letter to.At no point in this thread did I say that I am lazy and not willing to find a job.
    Secondly, the McDonald's "even I have some dignity" comment was completely in jest.Hence,the little :rolleyes: rolly eye smilie at the end.I actually can't believe you people thought I was being serious!I have friends who have worked in McDonalds before and I would certainly take a job there if they were looking.However,I wouldnt take the free meal because I'm not keen on the food.And no that does not mean that I believe myself to be higher than MCDonald's food.I do not only eat caviar and drink champagne for dinner,which is what some of you probably think.
    I can't stand when people make assumptions like this.My parents help me out with my accomodation but that does not mean I am some rich snobby git.

Hi, I only get basic loan and nearly all that goes on accomodation and I am only left with £15-20 per week. You're really lucky to be getting your accomodation paid for you by your parents, my parents are not giving me anything. I don't expect them to though, it's my choice to go to university and they shouldn't have to work all week to fund me through my course etc. I have been looking for a job around where I wil be going to university and yes jobs are sometimes hard to come by but just keeping looking and looking and take any available job there, even in McDonalds....there's nothing to be ashamed of working there.. money is money! If you are that desperate you would work anywhere Try to shop at lidl or aldi (where I will be shopping come September ) the food may not be the best but it's better than starving! Plus, I'm sure if you were like very very skint your parents would help you out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by upagumtree)
    I can't stand when people make assumptions like this.My parents help me out with my accomodation but that does not mean I am some rich snobby git.
    But it does mean you have £3500 a year MORE then quite alot of the people on these forums. Thats the main reason why your getting such little sympathy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc101)
    I'd be surprised if someone's parents didn't pay for their accomodation, it's hardly fair to expect a student to be able to support themselves when they're studying.

its totally fair to expect students to pay there own way while their studying! i get no help what-so-ever off my parents, and frankly i wouldnt want it. it was my decision to go to uni, if id went straight into employment i would be earning and paying board. you get loans for the sole purpose of supporting yourself while your studying - if your parents are paying all you fees then god u must be living the high life on all that money!

your over 18, an adult, you should not be depending on mommy and daddy financially anymore!

but then im not spoilt rotten by my rich parents, so ofcourse i hold this opinion.

oh and op, dont go and get the hardship allowence from your uni, leave it for someone who actually needs it - ones who spend all their loan on accomodation and whos parents cant afford to bail them out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    But it does mean you have £3500 a year MORE then quite alot of the people on these forums. Thats the main reason why your getting such little sympathy.
    Its not £3500.

See,you've just pulled a random figure out of your arse.

ReputationRep:
    My parents won't support me because I should be independant
    I think this must be one of the quotes which is causing debates.
    I am not complaining here.I really dont expect them to help me out any more than to help with my accomodation fees.If they were to offer me more money (which I don't expect them to) I would most likely decline because I am not like that.I hate living off my parents all the time because I'm an adult and I can't keep doing that.
    I just stated that they won't help me so that people don't start to suggest I plead with my parents for money, because I don't want to.
    The whole point of my post was to express concerns that it is hard to find a job and that I really,really want one to support myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blondey)
    it was my decision to go to uni, if id went straight into employment i would be earning and paying board. you get loans for the sole purpose of supporting yourself while your studying - if your parents are paying all you fees then god u must be living the high life on all that money!
    Is this what you want for your kids?

Sure, some of us have a harder time than others, but thats no reason to fire a broadside into her ass just because she does have good, loving and financially capable parents. It's what most of us aspire to.

upagumtree: Sorry if my initial post seemed harsh. I bet you wish you went anon now :p: I don't think most people are jealous of what you do have, rather that you need to realise that this is exactly what being a student entails, and that you are comparitively quite lucky! [though i bet you know that anyway] Maybe they just don't see you as realising that...I dunno.

£90 a month is enough by the way...its not champagne and caviar as you said, but you will survive

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to post this anonymously and go through the whole "should it be anonymous,or should it not" wait.I need answers now!
    Basically I havent saved any money this holiday because I needed to buy things and I now have literally nothing.I am going back to uni in two weeks and I will only recieve £87 a month from my loan.My parents are paying for my accomodation so thats ok.
    I can't survive on £87 a month,that is about £20 per week.I would really struggle.I desperately need a part time job.I have applied for some jobs last week and will continue to apply for some more but what if I dont get a job?Finding a job is so hard especially for me and my emplyment history.I am really really panicking that I am going to be left unemplyed and with only £20 a week and I don't want to go into my overdraft more than I already have!
    My parents won't support me because I should be independant and I am really bricking it now.I'm so worried.

hm..i dont really know what to suggest..

Why didnt you go looking for part time jobs earlier on instead of leaving it until now? I knew I'd need the money for uni so i found myself a part time job at the start of the holidays..

could you find yourself a job when you start back in uni and work part time then? can't think of much else you could do really..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    Is this what you want for your kids?

Sure, some of us have a harder time than others, but thats no reason to fire a broadside into her ass just because she does have good, loving and financially capable parents. It's what most of us aspire to.

upagumtree: Sorry if my initial post seemed harsh. I bet you wish you went anon now :p: I don't think most people are jealous of what you do have, rather that you need to realise that this is exactly what being a student entails, and that you are comparitively quite lucky! [though i bet you know that anyway] Maybe they just don't see you as realising that...I dunno.

£90 a month is enough by the way...its not champagne and caviar as you said, but you will survive
    Thanks

Some people just come in,pick out a few phrases from a post and start making assumptions about the OP.They don't even bother to give it some thought and read through the post properly.

And yes,I should have gone anon,I've been completely misunderstood here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snap-crackle-pop)
    hm..i dont really know what to suggest..

Why didnt you go looking for part time jobs earlier on instead of leaving it until now? I knew I'd need the money for uni so i found myself a part time job at the start of the holidays..

could you find yourself a job when you start back in uni and work part time then? can't think of much else you could do really..
    Thats what I'm aiming to do.

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering how come you have so little money from your loan if your parents are paying accommodation?

ReputationRep:
    but then im not spoilt rotten by my rich parents, so ofcourse i hold this opinion.
    Ah so you're one of the, 'I'm so much better than you people who are fortunate to have parents willing to help me out', brigade? **** you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dumdumdumdidum)
    Just wondering how come you have so little money from your loan if your parents are paying accommodation?
    I'm not sure,that's just how much I get form the loans company.Althogethr I get around $870 a year and it is paid into my account at the start of every month,which I think is quite a new thing.

ReputationRep:
    Hang on....I get £3385 a year with the maintenance loan, something EVERYONE can get. I lived on this with ease last year...

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to have to abandom this thread

I give up.....:getmecoat

(Original post by ssk2)
    Hang on....I get £3385 a year with the maintenance loan, something EVERYONE can get. I lived on this with ease last year...
    Yeah, it does seem strange that she only has £800 per year or whatever she said! I thought the minimum you could receive non income assessed was around £3,385 as a basic? The lower your parents earn the more money you get but I think the maximum is about £4.5k! Maybe you should contact the loans company, you never know they might have made a mistake? :confused:

If all else fails I would recommend tescos 8p noodles lol :P

ReputationRep:
    Its not £3500.

See,you've just pulled a random figure out of your arse.
    £3500 is around £65 - £70 a week rent. Which is about average for a student house for 4+ people sharing in any area other then London. The figure is certainly not 'pulled out of my arse' and is based on averages taken from friends i have at universities across the whole country.

As for your comment about 'picking out a few phrases from a post', the phrases i picked out were spread across several posts and from my own judgement of the situation, which, based on the fact that your parents pay for a large chuck of your expenditure, is that your situation is a hell of alot better then many other people's.

As others have said, i have absoloutly no idea why your getting so little in student loan, considering the MINIMUM anyone can get when they apply for the full loan is £3000+ a year. Either you've ticked the wrong boxes on your student loan form, or its different because your an international student (just taking a guess, considering your flag by your nick).

Im sorry if my posts sound overly aggressive, but you have to understand there are many many students out there whos parents dont give them a single penny, and so it annoys some of us to hear people complaining about finances when their parents pay for so much.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 27, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.