If in doubt, do Math HL! Watch

~Lc~
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by kwungsun)
very few courses will require that you do Maths SL specifically.
people who take SL maths usually don't need any math requirements for their courses. Those doing engineering/maths/maybe even med? or other such science oriented courses would HAVE to take maths HL to be able to get an offer for their course. That is for the UK. So you stating that there is no difference between methods and studies, is like you saying that people who have put in ore effort and done methods are at the same maths level as those who did studies. Which is untrue. I understand what you mean with the Uni requirements, but as I said before people who go for SL maths usually don't do it because they have Uni requirements for maths. Getting into a level of maths class is really based on the level of the student themselves and what the school allows them to take. For example a friend of mine is going to do Law, and she could have gotten into any law school with maths studies, but she did methods because that was her level in maths, and her school didn't allow her to take the easier course. So it's not as simple as you put it out to be. Plus maths HL is a very demanding course, so just saying "go for HL! it's really what Unis want" is not really true. Uni's don't want you to have just maths HL on your diploma, they'd usually require no less than a 5 in it to accept you. I know a genius in maths who got a 4 because of exam stress! and when I say genius I mean he's doing Uni maths homeworks and he got a 4 in HL. So in the end it's not as easy as you put it out to be.
And a tip from an older member on TSR: never complain about negs on the forum, it usually attract more negs
HMSChocolate
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
This may look like I'm defending Lc who I know but I have to say she has a point. Actually, in a way, you both have a point.

Yes, doing HL may mean you learn more and may get more satisfaction but it's not that black and white. Would you rather do SL and get a 7 or do HL and get a 5 and risk the chance of missing your uni offer?

Yes, the achievement and satisfaction you get in HL is all nice and good, but if it won't help you get to the uni you want (or worst, hinder you) then it's not worth it, I don't think.

And I don't think just because you can do SL means that you can do HL easily. Maybe for you, but not for everyone.
IB-Seed
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ~Lc~)
I know a genius in maths who got a 4 because of exam stress! and when I say genius I mean he's doing Uni maths homeworks and he got a 4 in HL.
Must be a sad university. If hes a "genius", why would he be stressed out about his maths exam anyway? And such severe stress that this "genius" destined for a 7 would drop down to a measly 4?

You can't really compare Maths HL exams to a vague uni maths homework counterpart. I mean, what course? what uni? what semester? (first semester crappy unis teach stuff like pre-calc) what's your definition of a genius? bla bla bla

The thread title is silly too. If you're doubting your maths abilities, don't do HL. Start with SL. If you're doing fine in SL and don't suffer from exam stress move to HL if it's gonna help. If you're getting raped in SL, switch to studies. If it's anything other than these 2 options, stick with SL.

btw the plural of homework is homework itself, not homeworks
KwungSun
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by ~Lc~)
And a tip from an older member on TSR: never complain about negs on the forum, it usually attract more negs
Look it's just a piece of advice based on my experience. I repeat, I never said that studies and SL end up with the same level of maths. But as Sidartha said, if you feel confident taking up SL then why not go for HL and do what is (in my opinion) the IBs best course. My post was more intended as praise for Math HL rather than criticism of any other math course, and as advice to people who might be settling for SL as a "good compromise" between studies and HL, which it isn't. I know plenty of people who did SL who regret it. Those at the top of the class wish they had pushed themselves to HL and those at the bottom wish they hadn't invested all that blood sweat n tears for a standard level.

I complained about the neg because the reasoning behind your neg seems to be based on the false impression that I'm trying to tell people that SL and Studies have the same syllabus, which is just not true (and because your comment was a bit weird).
~Lc~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by IB-Seed)
Must be a sad university. If hes a "genius", why would he be stressed out about his maths exam anyway? And such severe stress that this "genius" destined for a 7 would drop down to a measly 4?

You can't really compare Maths HL exams to a vague uni maths homework counterpart. I mean, what course? what uni? what semester? (first semester crappy unis teach stuff like pre-calc) what's your definition of a genius? bla bla bla

The thread title is silly too. If you're doubting your maths abilities, don't do HL. Start with SL. If you're doing fine in SL and don't suffer from exam stress move to HL if it's gonna help. If you're getting raped in SL, switch to studies. If it's anything other than these 2 options, stick with SL.

btw the plural of homework is homework itself, not homeworks
maths Uni course home work. i.e work which is given to a math major. Why he dropped to a 4? because math is about either doing it right or wrong in the exam, if you're having a bad day it's all gone. Oh and he got 7s in his IA so OBVIOUSLY the guy has some brains. I think it was STEP questions mostly... which I heard is pretty hard...

(Original post by kwaungsun)
Look it's just a piece of advice based on my experience. I repeat, I never said that studies and SL end up with the same level of maths. But as Sidartha said, if you feel confident taking up SL then why not go for HL and do what is (in my opinion) the IBs best course. My post was more intended as praise for Math HL rather than criticism of any other math course, and as advice to people who might be settling for SL as a "good compromise" between studies and HL, which it isn't. I know plenty of people who did SL who regret it. Those at the top of the class wish they had pushed themselves to HL and those at the bottom wish they hadn't invested all that blood sweat n tears for a standard level.

I complained about the neg because the reasoning behind your neg seems to be based on the false impression that I'm trying to tell people that SL and Studies have the same syllabus, which is just not true (and because your comment was a bit weird).
people neg who ever they want when ever they want, ask sidhe he's been complaining about abuse of the rep system for ages. When you put it this way it makes much more sense, but in your OP you weren't as clear as to what you meant- being as you really meant what you said in this post.
IB-Seed
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ~Lc~)
maths Uni course home work. i.e work which is given to a math major. Why he dropped to a 4? because math is about either doing it right or wrong in the exam, if you're having a bad day it's all gone. Oh and he got 7s in his IA so OBVIOUSLY the guy has some brains. I think it was STEP questions mostly... which I heard is pretty hard...
Why was the genius getting stressed out over his best subject's exam? :eek:

@KwungSun: don't bother about reps man, people neg you whenever they feel like it. ~Lc~ negged me when I asked "where she was getting her nonsense from i.e wrong information" and the neg comment was "we get it off ebay-LC".. lulz
~Lc~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by IB-Seed)
Why was the genius getting stressed out over his best subject's exam? :eek:

@KwungSun: don't bother about reps man, people neg you whenever they feel like it. ~Lc~ negged me when I asked "where she was getting her nonsense from i.e wrong information" and the neg comment was "we get it off ebay-LC".. lulz
I don't know, I guess the poor bloke had emotions.

and I recall my first neg to you was "don't you sheesh me" funny how you the context of that just magically changed in this post. Nice saying you asked :rofl: could that question have been in a neg as well? oooh noes someone negged me *faints*
but yea the 2nd one was pretty funny :rofl:
afua12
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I just had a quick skim through the posts here... and for uni applications it looks like Maths SL is just a waste of time and energy... might as well do Studies... surely this can't be true? Even if a course doesn't require Maths, it shows a certain level of intellectual variety etc.? And wouldn't a top university question why such a bright pupil is taking the "easy option" so to speak... Also, because of the extra time, would they expect you to do better in your other subjects? Or am I reeeeally overthinking this!? lool

(btw, I chose SL simply because I think I may be bored in the studies class, and would just eventually start blanking out... Also, one of the aims of doing the IB is to keep your subjects broad and continue core subjects to a certain level...studies kind of defeats the point for some people...)
goldenhk
Report 11 years ago
yes, unless ur maths is really crap, or HL for sure
Since if u think u cant handle, u can change u SL at anytime
pianofingers
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If you think that there is even the smallest possibility of needing Maths HL for your university course then go ahead and do it.

It is much, much easier to start with Maths HL and drop down to SL then it is to start at SL and claw your way up to HL!
afua12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by afua12)
But maths HL is the most difficult subject on IB... no? That's what I heard anyway...
:O someone neg repped me for this!!
KwungSun
Rep:
?
Probably Lc
HMSChocolate
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No, Lc signs all her reps. Negs and pos.
~Lc~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by kwung sun)
Probably Lc
lol
:rofl:
(Original post by HMSChocolate)
No, Lc signs all her reps. Negs and pos.
:ditto: even when I give them to subs
afua12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by afua12)
:O someone neg repped me for this!!
unfair...

k

over it

lol
roulade
Report 11 years ago
hey

u guys all seem to b caught up in maths. well feel free 2 help me as well. i m really really confused between HL and SL maths as i only got an A in my maths gcse n quite honestly i don't believe that i have the ''passion'' for maths which is needed for HL according 2 my IB teacher. however, most universities offering science degrees seem 2 ignore SL maths n demand HL maths which just confuses me even more. so shall i just give it try n move down to SL if i cant handle it?
deranged_dragon
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by roulade)
hey

u guys all seem to b caught up in maths. well feel free 2 help me as well. i m really really confused between HL and SL maths as i only got an A in my maths gcse n quite honestly i don't believe that i have the ''passion'' for maths which is needed for HL according 2 my IB teacher. however, most universities offering science degrees seem 2 ignore SL maths n demand HL maths which just confuses me even more. so shall i just give it try n move down to SL if i cant handle it?
This is a tricky one.

In my opinion, if your heart is set on sciences, then go for HL Maths.

1) For science degrees, unis like it more
2) it will be helpful when it comes to uni work

Now I don't know what type of science we are talking about here, but if it's any sort of engineering then you're gonna have to develop a passion for maths , because essentially you'll be doing it for the rest of your life (if your heart is set on some sort of engineering)
KwungSun
Rep:
?
(Original post by deranged_dragon)
This is a tricky one.

In my opinion, if your heart is set on sciences, then go for HL Maths.

1) For science degrees, unis like it more
Actually for a lot of scientific degrees its absolutely essential. If you want to do Physics or Engineering at a halfways respectable university you have to offer Maths HL, no exceptions. If you want to do Chemistry at a good university it helps. If you want to do economics at a good university it's again essential. Unless you can rule out wanting to study any of these subjects (plus university Maths of course), do HL.
dafunkyguy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I want to do Math HL, but our school only offers Math SL wahhhh

I also heard that Math HL is only meant for engineering and physics students...but Math SL is meant more for medical and other things. Math Studies is only for Arts people. :vroam:
Cool.Zero
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by roulade)
hey

It's totally up to you. I'm in year 12, been doing IB for 3 weeks now and i've personally found SL maths quite difficult already. I got an A for my IGCSE maths: which is harder than GCSE. Again, it's totally up to you. I can't be bothered to go home and practice maths everyday. I'm sure that if you do, why can't you get a 6 or even a 7 in HL maths? Also, what do you want to do for university? most science courses actually DON'T require HL maths but SL maths. If the science courses you're referring to are, for example, biomedical science, chemistry, biology, medicine, veterinary then you don't need maths. The science courses that do require HL maths are like ALL engineering courses, computer science at TOP universities, mathematics... (that's pretty much it). Oh yeah and economics at TOP universities.

What do you want to do in Uni anyway? :confused:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1618)
79.2%
Leave (425)
20.8%

Watched Threads