Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I'm doubting I could get in but I need some choices outside of UoL.
    If you've got the grades to apply to UCL or Kings, then you may as well give LSE a shot.

However, law is damn difficult to get into so there are no guarantees. I've ended year 2 with 4 A's at A2 and 1 A and 1 B at AS, and only got offers from KCL (first choice), UCL and Leeds (insurance), and got rejected from Oxford, Bristol and LSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    However, law is damn difficult to get into so there are no guarantees. I've ended year 2 with 4 A's at A2 and 1 A and 1 B at AS, and only got offers from KCL (first choice), UCL and Leeds (insurance), and got rejected from Oxford, Bristol and LSE.
    Well having read that I'm probably aiming too high.

ReputationRep:
    Well having read that I'm probably aiming too high.
    What are your grades/predicted grades?

Admissions for law at the top universities is nothing but a lottery really. I have a friend who, bless her, although puts loads and loads of effort into work, has absolutely no common sense and has no knowledge about any of her subjects outside of their syllabus. I got better grades than her at the end of the two years and her personal statement was nothing to write home about.

Despite all this she got an offer from Bristol, and I got rejected. Grrr...

ReputationRep:
    What are your grades/predicted grades?
    A grade for A level law, B grade for A level physics, A for AS politics. I'm spending another year to study possibly geography and/or critical thinking. The physics grade might change to an A depending how well I do in an A2 exam.

If you can only get in with AAA then I probably need to look elsewhere just in case. I think I can do it but you never know.

Admissions for law at the top universities is nothing but a lottery really. I have a friend who, bless her, although puts loads and loads of effort into work, has absolutely no common sense and has no knowledge about any of her subjects outside of their syllabus. I got better grades than her at the end of the two years and her personal statement was nothing to write home about.
    This has concerned me a lot.

Despite all this she got an offer from Bristol, and I got rejected. Grrr...
    But King's is just as good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muncrun)
    Unis have no required subjects, however there are some to avoid: law if you can (unfortunately there are unis that see this as a bad thing) and other so-called "mickey-mouse" subjects. The ones you are thinking about seem fine - it's a good thing that you have a balance of science and art subjects.

Regarding your philosophy question, I'm not sure what you mean. Where are you thinking of doing more philosophy? At uni? People who study philosophy to degree level generally do something completely different upon graduation - the skills learnt in it are transferable, as with most subjects.
    Thanks for the reply, the science teachers at godalming r against me doing art! lol, but hey stuff them!
    Well i will b doing it at a-level but i'm not too sure i'll want to do it at uni, ther isnt much i cud do with it after. manily i'm interested in law but i was thinking also maybe being a therapist, god my ideas r all over the place! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    A grade for A level law, B grade for A level physics, A for AS politics. I'm spending another year to study possibly geography and/or critical thinking. The physics grade might change to an A depending how well I do in an A2 exam.

If you can only get in with AAA then I probably need to look elsewhere just in case. I think I can do it but you never know.
    If you look at the Times League Table for law, you'll see that most of the top tier unis have average entrance grades around 28.5 - which is just over AAB. This means that those unis take more AAB students than AAA students. So as long as you get AAB or equivalent, you have a good enough chance.

To my surprise, LSE's (usally regarded as the third best place to do law) average entrance grade is actually lower than their UoL competitors UCL and KCL. Strange as you hear that LSE students snigger at their fellow UoL students. I'm still a firm believer that LSE's prestige really comes into its own with regards to its postgrads, rather than undergrads.

But King's is just as good
    I know, but there is an unashamed pride concern attatched to being rejected from 3 uni's - although I shouldn't complain as I do know people who only got 1 offer, or none at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heyPyro)
    Thanks for the reply, the science teachers at godalming r against me doing art! lol, but hey stuff them!
    Well i will b doing it at a-level but i'm not too sure i'll want to do it at uni, ther isnt much i cud do with it after. manily i'm interested in law but i was thinking also maybe being a therapist, god my ideas r all over the place! :rolleyes:
    Actually, a good philosophy degree will put you in good stead for a lot of things. I don't know how much you know, but one thing you should realise early on is that your choice of degree will not limit you to that career path. Many degrees have transferable skills like argument, critical thinking etc that will be valuable for a wide range of careers.

ReputationRep:
    If you look at the Times League Table for law, you'll see that most of the top tier unis have average entrance grades around 28.5 - which is just over AAB. This means that those unis take more AAB students than AAA students. So as long as you get AAB or equivalent, you have a good enough chance.
    I've seen them. I'm going to try and make everything to my advantage on application because there's always a chance of getting AAB as predicted and getting a rejection.

To my surprise, LSE's (usally regarded as the third best place to do law) average entrance grade is actually lower than their UoL competitors UCL and KCL.
    I've noticed this too.

Strange as you hear that LSE students snigger at their fellow UoL students. I'm still a firm believer that LSE's prestige really comes into its own with regards to its postgrads, rather than undergrads.
    I believe that too.

I know, but there is an unashamed pride concern attatched to being rejected from 3 uni's - although I shouldn't complain as I do know people who only got 1 offer, or none at all.
    Quite.

I find that being in London has a lot advantages for me and the only decent ones in London are King's and UCL (excluding LSE).

ReputationRep:
    I find that being in London has a lot advantages for me and the only decent ones in London are King's and UCL (excluding LSE).
    Well, I wouldnt go as far as excluding LSE from the list of decent London unis for law. I just think that as an undergraduate, as long as you get a decent degree (2:1 or a first), whether you went to Kings, University College or LSE wont make much difference in getting a TC or getting into a post-grad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muncrun)
    Actually, a good philosophy degree will put you in good stead for a lot of things. I don't know how much you know, but one thing you should realise early on is that your choice of degree will not limit you to that career path. Many degrees have transferable skills like argument, critical thinking etc that will be valuable for a wide range of careers.
    lol, i dont no much at all, the whole university thing is very overwelming atm. Thanks alot for all ur help, just one more question tho, i no art probably wont b counted as an a-level by most unis, is music the same?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heyPyro)
    lol, i dont no much at all, the whole university thing is very overwelming atm. Thanks alot for all ur help, just one more question tho, i no art probably wont b counted as an a-level by most unis, is music the same?
    not at all, they are both difficult A-Levels to get good grades in and require alot of work and practise outside school time and in your own time. Universities, especially the top ones (like Durham where I'm off! whoo! ), will recognise and reward this, because it is something you have to do at Uni, work outside taught lessons. Your experience of doing two such subjects will be invaluable I'm sure.

And if you want to do philosophy at Uni too, why not take a module in the philosophy and history of laws, which a few Unis offer. ANy modules like "Public Law" or such are likely to be quite philosphical too!

ReputationRep:
    Well Im going to Warwick its all set now, I simply forgot about this thread. Well either way Im happy Bristol was my insurance and its also very good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwarwick)
    Well Im going to Warwick its all set now, I simply forgot about this thread. Well either way Im happy Bristol was my insurance and its also very good.
    good lad, very good uni. some good and highly respected lecturers there too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkfmbp)
    Any respected ones at Liverpool? I'm guessing not.

ReputationRep:
    Any respected ones at Liverpool? I'm guessing not.
    there may well be. Listen Aaron, I don't mean to disrespect Liverpool at all, it IS a good Uni for Law, but a guy like you should be going to the Best, not just good. If I can get in, you certainly bloody well should be able to.

In the LT, take the extra year and prove it to yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, well thank you. Which University will you be attending this year? Btw which lecturers did you have in mind?

ReputationRep:
    Haha, well thank you. Which University will you be attending this year? Btw which lecturers did you have in mind?
    I'll be at Durham personally, but i was thinking of Bridges and McConville in particular.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, also what would you consider the best law schools in england?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, also what would you consider the best law schools in england?
    The obvious 2 who shall not be named...Durham, Warwick, Nottingham, Cardiff, Newcastle, Queens, Bath, Bristol, UCL, Kings and LSE (although it pains me to name the UoL ones, Dajo would kill me if I didnt, esp UCL)....no real order i don't think, except with Cambs, Durham, Notts, Bristol, UCL (I think its the best UoL school for Law, I don't care what LSE students think, i'd put it last of the three) and Oxford slightly above Warwick, and then the rest a futher way behind.

Mind you, the top recruiters all recruit at the ones I've mentioned, so i t doesnt matter who i thnks better really.

ReputationRep:
    The obvious 2 who shall not be named...Durham, Warwick, Nottingham, Cardiff, Newcastle, Queens, Bath, Bristol, UCL, Kings and LSE (although it pains me to name the UoL ones, Dajo would kill me if I didnt, esp UCL)....no real order i don't think, except with Cambs, Durham, Notts, Bristol, UCL (I think its the best UoL school for Law, I don't care what LSE students think, i'd put it last of the three) and Oxford slightly above Warwick, and then the rest a futher way behind.

Mind you, the top recruiters all recruit at the ones I've mentioned, so i t doesnt matter who i thnks better really.
    I like your style, you are obviously enlightened, sophisticated and intellectual! (Positive rep coming your way when i can next give it out)

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 15, 2004

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.