Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have this problem. Every time I go shopping I see girls with this uniform sort of look (usually smock tops/dresses, skinny jeans, ballet pumps, etc.) and it's like no matter what their body shape, that's what they wear. I would look ridiculous if I dressed like that (I'm a regular sort of size, I'm just too self-conscious) but I feel out of place because I don't.

Also, I think I just don't have the fashion gene. I don't know what goes with what. So I just end up in jeans and a top and hope I blend in and don't look stupid. Even when I go in somewhere like Topshop and Oasis and buy an outfit that is actually displayed in the store I still don't look right!

I tend to buy most stuff online now and that's a little easier, if only because you don't get all sweaty/stressed (don't get to go to Starbucks then though )

Thanks guys, this is all really helpful. It's nice to know I'm not the only one out there that has this problem! Although I sympathise with you all! I think making the shopping trip as fun as possible would probably take some of my anxiety away. I see shopping as a chore... perhaps if I go out with the will to have a good time I'll actually end up buying something...

We shall see.

vilette - I can relate to that. Even though I'm quite slim I would never wear skinny jeans. They just look itchy and uncomfortable. I much prefer jeans with a bit of room... I practically live in jeans at the mo... What would we do without denim?!

ReputationRep:
    write out a list of the things you are looking for for example : party top, smart trousers etc etc then pick out your favourtie shops or ones that you dont mind going in and kep it to just them so you arent looking in places that feel foreign

ReputationRep:
    I hate shopping because they never have my size in the clothes i like. When i do find my size it usually doesn't fit because each store has different sizes which is so bloody annoying because i hate trying things on. Plus I'm usually in a hurry to go home because it makes me stressed! They really should make all sizes the same in all stores instead of having a size 14 which is actually a size 14 in one shop and then a size 14 which is actually a size 12 in another shop! :mad: Sorry for the rant...it just annoys me.

ReputationRep:
    When I go shopping I always plan to buy something but I'm always too afraid.Even if I like something I just can't spend money on it in case I never wear it.Its like I'm afraid to spend money on clothes:eek:

ReputationRep:
    I hate shopping. I never know what I'm looking for, what looks good, what suits me...it's really frustrating. There have been so many times when I've decided to go ona shopping spree and returned with food and maybe a magazine.

I'm afraid to spend money too!

ReputationRep:
    I used to have this problem, once I became more happy with how I looked it was a lot easier, maybe you have an underlying issue prehaps?. . .

Also, I used to have a problem, well, being in clothes shops. I think I found them intimidating. I think it might have been the sheer variety and amount and I didnt like searching through rails. It sounds silly to me now, but I realised that shops want you to buy things and the salespeople are there to help. . .they value your custom. . .so buy things! Not sure if this will help but hopefully

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely hate clothes shopping, i end up frustrated and upset with myself. I never seem to buy anything which looks as nice as others peoples clothes. I'm sure i look a mess 99.9% of the time, i just have no sense of style. I also don't have an endless supply of money to keep buying new pieces of clothing.

ReputationRep:
    I find it much easier to buy things that I don't actually need.

I'm planning on going shopping soon so i'll have to tell you guys what I manage to buy (if anything).

ReputationRep:
    hmmm I love clothes shopping generally... but I hate it when you're trying to look at a rail and someone's standing there and just wont move to the side, so ignorant! And I get quite stressed if Im looking for something to wear on a night out and cant find anything... and also I have problems with topshop, their size 8 jeans are a little too tight on me but their size 10's are huge!

ReputationRep:
    shopping for jeans is terrible i find, i'm 6'4 and about 13 and a half stone fairly athletic build and all and it is so hard to get jeans that fit proply.

there normally skin tight or there actual baggy jeans.

and buying t-shirts you can't find any that hand nicely without coming up at the back.

it all does my nut in anyway , i mostly just buy plain clothes black or white mostly to be safe. I also like grey and brown stuff too, seems to suite me i guess.

i would'nt say i have any idea of what is fashionable or not tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Also, I have problems with the length in jeans, Im in between a regular & long length :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Yes! Me too!
    We should have a 'People who don't like clothes shopping and who bugger off into Waterstones or HMV instead' soc.
    I just flick through catalogues to get an idea, or head off to the accessories bit.
    Try not to go when it's busy or you'll get flustered and end up wanting to club someone with a patent-pump.

I speak from experience ¬¬

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prettygreeneyes99)
    Also, I have problems with the length in jeans, Im in between a regular & long length :mad:
    Marks and Spencer bootcut long jeans. Excellent for 5ft9/10 folks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clyn)
    Marks and Spencer bootcut long jeans. Excellent for 5ft9/10 folks.
    am only about 5ft5/6... I just tend to either get my jeans in a size 10 with a regular length so that way because they are a tiny bit too big they sit a little lower so they pretty much look the right length!

ReputationRep:
    Oops, sorry, I forgot that the average sized woman seems to be 5ft5...actually, what is average height for a woman in Britain?
    I hate clomping around the clothes shops like some sort of oversized oaf.
    I'm not even *that* tall.

I feel a little bit better now! Yes, I do find clothes shopping, sales people etc. very intimidating. I can never find my size - most of the time everything is too big and I wouldn't even contemplate wearing jeans that you have to peel yourself out of! I'm hoping it's something I will grow out of (19 is pretty old though!)... I know you guys find it really hard but does anyone on here experience a feeling of panic? anxiety? tension pains? Going into waterstones or having a cup of tea is like therapy for me! The other week when I went to Peterborough, I sat in John Lewis for aaaages just staring down at people! GRR, happy shoppers make me mad!!

Apparently the average size for women is 5'4

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.