Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becca0770)
    Oh dear - story of my life... *nods*
    Me too, I routinely get told I'm ugly. It hurts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joeawful)
    Hmm. I do hate my teeth; they are tetracycline-stained (quite yellow) from when I was very young. It's something I'm very self-conscious about tbh.

Is it possible this is really putting them off? 'Resolving' it will mean veneers, which will be incredibly expensive (when I asked my dentist last time he said around £10k). But if it's the one thing letting the 'side' down then I'd consider it.

I don't have a perfect face bone-structure wise but apart from that I'm alright I suppose. Decent hair (a lot of people ask me where I get it done), very clear skin, I'm tall but not lanky.
    Not too sure, but I think you could get them whitened - Zoom whitening it's called? Speak to your dentist.

ReputationRep:
    I must admit that women can be cruel sometimes. I was once knocked back by a girl in a Walkabout club in London for not looking like I earned 30k per year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolershaka)
    I must admit that women can be cruel sometimes. I was once knocked back by a girl in a Walkabout club in London for not looking like I earned 30k per year.
    Or that's what she said...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sehnsucht)
    Or that's what she said...
    Possibly right...

However.... too poor vs. too ugly vs. not a great enough personality = equally depressing!

It ties in with some other things I've noticed though. My ex-flatmate has repeatedly said that she only dates Oxford and Cambridge graduates, just because there are so many of them and the male competition is so high in London where I live.

ReputationRep:
    Possibly right...

However.... too poor vs. too ugly vs. not a great enough personality = equally depressing!

It ties in with some other things I've noticed though. My ex-flatmate has repeatedly said that she only dates Oxford and Cambridge graduates, just because there are so many of them and the male competition is so high in London where I live.
    Two years at Cambridge have made me very cynical - I'm yet to meet someone whose behaviour so much as resembles that of an English gentleman, heh.

ReputationRep:
    Possibly right...

No my point isn't that she was letting you down in a kinder way than saying you're unattractive or boring...

How did you react when she said that out of interest? [Also, do you think your ex-flatmate would be approached by a guy to whom she felt instant attraction only to then leave after finding out he was a Bristol graduate?]

Imagine if you could go back in time. If you'd said to Walkabout girl:

"30k huh?... *look her up and down appraisingly*... I reckon you'd probably be better off starting out looking for guys on 25K...."

or

"Fantastic! I want to find a woman who earns that kind of money - I find girls without any ambition of their own SO boring. Let's go

or

"A guy on 30k? In a Walkabout?? :rolleyes: I guess a woman with looks AND brains is hard to come by after all..."

or

"What do you earn? [Her reply, assuming nothing or not very much] Oh well we couldn't hook up anyway then; I expect nice presents."

Any of those, rather than walking away looking a bit sheepish, woulda been fine!

ReputationRep:
    Sehnsucht's advice is golden. I'm no expert, but I have about 10 years experience on most here (I'm 30) and it all sounds right to me.

As for this woman who only wants a boyfriend earning 30k. LOL. Honestly, I can understand why that hurt, but, it was like idiot radar! I mean, do you really want anything to do with someone that shallow and vacuous? I know I wouldn't. That probably saved you from a WAG wannabe. God knows those morons shouldn't be encouraged to breed.

ReputationRep:
    [Also, do you think your ex-flatmate would be approached by a guy to whom she felt instant attraction only to then leave after finding out he was a Bristol graduate?]
    Well she is a bit exceptional, and I'm just reiterating something she used to say all the time. Like you I frankly don't believe it's as extreme as that, but she does come from the midset that (rich and successful = best).

No my point isn't that she was letting you down in a kinder way than saying you're unattractive or boring...

Imagine if you could go back in time. If you'd said to Walkabout girl:

"30k huh?... *look her up and down appraisingly*... I reckon you'd probably be better off starting out looking for guys on 25K...."

or

"Fantastic! I want to find a woman who earns that kind of money - I find girls without any ambition of their own SO boring. Let's go

or

"A guy on 30k? In a Walkabout?? :rolleyes: I guess a woman with looks AND brains is hard to come by after all..."

or

"What do you earn? [Her reply, assuming nothing or not very much] Oh well we couldn't hook up anyway then; I expect nice presents."

Any of those, rather than walking away looking a bit sheepish, woulda been fine!
    Well I did walk away sheepishly, and having only moved to London a few months before I thought that was just the way things are. I've seen enough dating ads on websites like Gumtree looking for wealthy men that I just assumed that women in London had high standards.

ReputationRep:
    I believe girls think logically they find apperance to be the most attrative when it comes down to genetics and evolution they find social status and resources outweight looks probably 80:20. Very scientific explanation but it explains why i have a gorgeous girlfriend and im only average looking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student20077)
    why lie mate. u dont fancy her bcos she is ugly and u rather be with a girl that is a stunner. i know how this feels if u want advice just pm me man. im the man for this job no one else.
    Well she wasn't the greatest looker to me I must admit, but she did have long blond hair and not bad cleavage so would get a fair bit of attention. And we didn't get along, which is part of the reason I think why she moved out in the end. You are right about that.

As for your offer of advice, I'm alright thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DodgyTrousers)
    Sehnsucht's advice is golden. I'm no expert, but I have about 10 years experience on most here (I'm 30) and it all sounds right to me.

As for this woman who only wants a boyfriend earning 30k. LOL. Honestly, I can understand why that hurt, but, it was like idiot radar! I mean, do you really want anything to do with someone that shallow and vacuous? I know I wouldn't. That probably saved you from a WAG wannabe. God knows those morons shouldn't be encouraged to breed.
    Yeah. I have my suspicions that either he is a natural or in the 'community'. (you will know what I mean if you are in it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hobbit)
    Yeah. I have my suspicions that either he is a natural or in the 'community'. (you will know what I mean if you are in it)
    I certainly understand. It would certainly be a good "neg-hit"!

ReputationRep:
    I think I have to disagree with some of the views here. If the girl doesn't find you 'physically attractive' I think thats fine. She wasn't calling you ugly she merely meant you're not her type. I bet most people here have looked at people and thought, 'yeah, theyre pretty good looking but I still wouldn't, not really my type' and it's the same thing here.

If there was some magic way to get a girl as some people are pointing out here, it would mean there is a chance that every girl would fancy every guy and well that's just not true. In my opinion this isn't shallow it's just someone's preferance on a 'type'.

ReputationRep:
    I certainly understand. It would certainly be a good "neg-hit"!
    Yeah well, only a 1/4 of it is that.

ReputationRep:
    Neg Neg Neg Neg Bed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hobbit)
    I don't know what you mean no. Which community?

ReputationRep:
    Haha.

ReputationRep:
    The Seduction Community

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seduction_community

ReputationRep:
    Oh I see, ta.

The NLP stuff there is just plain creepy. Subversion.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 3, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.