Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't like cheese or wine either but i'm going anyway so I hope it's not too bad. What type of things are we meant to wear? My mom has it in her head that it's all very formal but I don't have any remotely posh clothes.

ReputationRep:
    Well it says smart casual, so if I go i'll probably wear black trousers and a nice top or something. I don't really have anything formal.

ReputationRep:
    just wear a shiurt and trousers. No need for bl;ack tie.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there

I work for Aberystwyth University so be gentle with me...The reason they set these up is purely celebratory. To get an excellence bursary, scholarship or merit award is a real achievement - don't forget in Universities we are very ahem "traditional" and its just a traditional thing to do - for example, some of your departments may have a cheese and wine meet and greet also. There is no compunction to attend so don't feel "rail roaded" into coming. At a personal level, it's an opportunity for some of the staff that administered, examined and managed the process to meet the recipients of the awards, i.e. to put a human face on the names they will have been typing into all the admin systems here..!

Take care

Ian

ReputationRep:
    Me again - wear what you want - remember you are students now and you can pretty much do whatever you want - however, be guided that if it says smart casual the majority of people will come in smart casual! But if you want to make a splash in that hawaian (sp) shirt, flip flops and bermuda shorts then do your worst! (I've seen people graduate in those clothes so a reception is small fry). Wear whatever you feel comfortable in...

ReputationRep:
    ...they're spying on us...

:eek:

Everyone watch what you say!

:rolleyes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 14, 2007
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.