Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_watson87)
    There are a lot of the good medical sites written by professionals. And you can check the information against other sites. I believe many are quite, no very reliable.
    Yes but how are you supposed to know which one's are the reliable one's? This person could have just googled 'testicular cancer' and then picked the first one that came up! Personally if I was worrying that I had something wrong with me Id rather just sit tight and wait for the doctor to diagnose me instead of just putting all my faith into a website where I dont know for sure who's written it, and whether the information is correct and reliable!

ReputationRep:
    There are a lot of good medical diagnosis aiding sites written by professionals. And you can check the information against other sites. I believe many are quite, if not very reliable.
    The information maybe correct, but you need someone who is looking at the problem objectively to provide an accurate diagnosis. Not someone going ¨OMG I think I'm dying... hang on lets see if I can find what deadly disease and / or cancer I could possibly have by searching the net¨.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shakuri)
    Ring NHS Direct! What good is posting on web forum going to do?
    NHS direct suck, they told me to go to hospital because I was stoned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prettygreeneyes99)
    Yes but how are you supposed to know which one's are the reliable one's? This person could have just googled 'testicular cancer' and then picked the first one that came up! Personally if I was worrying that I had something wrong with me Id rather just sit tight and wait for the doctor to diagnose me instead of just putting all my faith into a website where I dont know for sure who's written it, and whether the information is correct and reliable!
    He said he used various medical sites, hence he didn't just pick the first one. When i'm worryin about something i generally research it heavily on t'internet to decide if going to the doctor is worth it. I find this knowledge available to me greatly helpful and i'm sure others do aswell. There are a lot of websites which are easy to see are reliable and can be cross referenced. If from his research he is indeed worried I don't see why he shud just 'sit tight'. Better safe than sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Well basically I'm pretty much certain I have cancer. And I have a GP appointment for 1 week from now. But now I'm starting to feel sick, I can feel it spreading through my body and I'm getting weaker. I think I've had it for about 2-3 months and now it's just getting worse. Is 1 week too long to wait if I'm deteriorating so?

I'm only 17.
    You can't feel cancer spreading through your body, trust me Ive had it. As for the feeling sick, it may be worry? I can guarantee that most people will have at least 1 symptom from every illness out there so the internet it not the best way to get diagnosed. Try asking if you can have an emergency appointment if you are so worried to put your mind at rest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cromulent)
    The information maybe correct, but you need someone who is looking at the problem objectively to provide an accurate diagnosis. Not someone going ¨OMG I think I'm dying... hang on lets see if I can find what deadly disease and / or cancer I could possibly have by searching the net¨.
    Yea, obviously, you seem to have missed the point. He's just worried about the wait 'till he can get an accurate diagnosis and deal with it. Everyone exaggerates to a degree and is pessimistic when they're worried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punktopia)
    hahah

ReputationRep:
    Get an appointment right now, they'll move you forward if you explain it;s urgent, in the meantime have you conisdered that the sickness you're feeling might be mentally stimulated, because of the worry you're feeling about what might be and the symptoms you've read about?

ReputationRep:
    Yea, obviously, you seem to have missed the point. He's just worried about the wait 'till he can get an accurate diagnosis and deal with it. Everyone exaggerates to a degree and is pessimistic when they're worried.
    No you have missed the point. The point is that no matter how much correct information you have, you can end up inventing symptoms or believing you have something when you start to panic. Ever heard of hypochondria? Now I am not saying that is the case with this person, but I am 99% sure that the rise of the internet has lead to people misdiagnosing themselves with something.

Interesting subject actually, might be worth some research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Well basically I'm pretty much certain I have cancer. And I have a GP appointment for 1 week from now. But now I'm starting to feel sick, I can feel it spreading through my body and I'm getting weaker. I think I've had it for about 2-3 months and now it's just getting worse. Is 1 week too long to wait if I'm deteriorating so?

I'm only 17.
    If I was 'pretty much certain' I had cancer (which is near impossible to diagnose without tests etc.), I wouldn't be hanging around an internet forum snapping at most peoples advice, I would be on my way to the doctor, whether it be at a clinic, or hospital.

ReputationRep:
    Stop arguing guys.

OP, try and move up your doctor's appt. as this is obviously causing a lot of stress at least.

I wouldn't take the internet diagnosis too seriously, although some websites are aided by professionals it's not the same as actually talking to a human being, and one who is trained in what to look for in testicular cancer.

ReputationRep:
    I too have had lumps down there, and can sympathise with your experience. I've been in almost your exact same position, and believe me when I say - it's all in the mind. Well, apart from the lump.

Anyway, I worried and worried for months, assuming I had cancer, and was too scared to do anything. When I finally did, it was discovered to be a benign mass of excess tissue. Basically, just my body not reading the blueprints for building a babymaker properly, and adding an extra bit of tissue.

As for feeling it spread - as has already been said, that's generally not possible with most cancers, and also, testicular cancer tends to be one of ths slower-spreading groups of cancers, meaning not much will have changed in 2-3 months. And even if it is cancer, it's got one of the highest survival and total cure rates of all male cancers, even at advanced stages.

I wish you the best of luck with your appointment, and hope to be hearing good news soon.

ReputationRep:
    My ex had a couple of lumps on his testicles and on his penis (over a period of a few years) and they turned out to be just cysts.

I have a couple in my back as well, as does my mother and they are all just cysts. I'm sure theres nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend had a growth on his left testicle when he was 13, he went to the doctors - even though he was terrified - and the doctor had a little feel and was sure it was a cyst.

A few weeks later, when it had grown to a kiwi size and was in excruciating pain (described as in the testes, abdomen etc, the feeling of being kicked in the groin really hard guys), went to the hospital, was given the pep talk of "it might have to be taken off" etc, but it was just a cyst and he was pumped with morphine and had the growth removed.

They're in amazing condition now and work excellently, like a stallion.

He read this, and the symptoms you've described, sound exactly like what he had.

You'll be left with a barely visible scar, so not to worry, all will be fine and dandy.

Toodle-pip

ReputationRep:
    Testicles can be misleading.
    Wait for your doctor's opinion.
    Cancers are very treatable these days anyway. Don't you watch House?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punktopia)
    :confused: You rang NHS Direct when you were stoned?

I wouldn't worry so much OP. I have two lumps on my left testicle about 3mm in diameter and they're both cysts. When you see your GP, he/she will refer you and you'll get an ultrasound scan which will determine if the lump is malignant or not.
    Good luck with it all.

ReputationRep:
    I've managed to diagnose myself with diabetes from the nhs direct website, turned out i was dehydrated :confused:

ReputationRep:
    OP - I can understand why you are so worried. The other week I was convinced I was going to die of Skin Cancer because one of my many moles looks very dodgy. I went to the doctor, she looked at it and said it's fine straight away and checked the others too. It was such a relief. I suggest you try to get an earlier appointment and try not to think about it. I suggest you stop feeling the lump because looking at my mole all the time made me even worse.

Coem on people, give this guy a break :rolleyes:. When something like this comes up and the amount of cancer cases and cancer scares are publicised widely etc he has a right to be worried :hugs:. WE may see it as over reacting however we are not in his shoes.
    OP, I really hope everything is OK for you, I can see you are in a state of panic, if this is along with the symptoms you claim to be experiencing or caused by self diagnosis causing you to pyschologically convince yourself into feeling this way I can't be sure or neither can anybody. The advice I can be sure about however is get yourself to a doctor just to get your mind a bit at rest, gunna make yourself sick otherwise :hugs:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 30, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.