Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    im goin to imperial so dont care

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thegooduniversityguide.or...&order_by=rank

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Whereas achieving a 2:1 in one of the most intellectually rigorous degrees from one of the most prestigious universities in the United Kingdom would be nothing short of a walk in the park. Why don't you either wake the **** up or bugger off?
    eughh sorry but you're posts are often so irritating you sound so arrogant and really, if people are willing to help this guy, even just one then who are you to tell him, you bugger off yourself

I don't know perhaps it just cus you reminds me looks, humour and arrogance-wise of omeone i used to think was funny, then reaslied his humour was basically taken from 3 soucres, and he got to arrogant, so maybe im biased asyou remind me of him but seriously
    you annoy the hell out of me more than the guy you were nasty to, and yes i know its a public forum,no-one can't stop you from being nasty however nobody can stop the OP from posting so whats the use in you even bothering.
    You WILL upset epople, as you are, so no matter how much you don't care cus its just a forum or cus you help people, you're still making the world a slighlty worse plac with negativity, it must be horrible to be like that, i know i couldn't stand myself

is it reall so hard to be a little nicer?

edit: and yes i know, lots of typos, but i type bad when i type fast and i didn't wana waste too much time on you as you may not even take my advice

ReputationRep:
    i agree with the above poster! why can't we all just live in a deluded little world where we tell everyone that only the sky is the limit and set their hopes up even though deep inside we know that not only do they have 0 chance of getting in, but an even harder chance at completing the degree :rolleyes:

Profesh is telling the honest truth. if the OP thinks ABB is v.hard target then what will he think of Durham/LSE etc etc Law?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moogle301)
    eughh sorry but you're posts are often so irritating you sound so arrogant and really, if people are willing to help this guy, even just one then who are you to tell him, you bugger off yourself

I don't know perhaps it just cus you reminds me looks, humour and arrogance-wise of omeone i used to think was funny, then reaslied his humour was basically taken from 3 soucres, and he got to arrogant, so maybe im biased asyou remind me of him but seriously
    you annoy the hell out of me more than the guy you were nasty to, and yes i know its a public forum,no-one can't stop you from being nasty however nobody can stop the OP from posting so whats the use in you even bothering.
    You WILL upset epople, as you are, so no matter how much you don't care cus its just a forum or cus you help people, you're still making the world a slighlty worse plac with negativity, it must be horrible to be like that, i know i couldn't stand myself

is it reall so hard to be a little nicer?

edit: and yes i know, lots of typos, but i type bad when i type fast and i didn't wana waste too much time on you as you may not even take my advice
    Jolly good. I shan't waste any time at all enumerating the logical inconsistencies in your post as you may not even comprehend them.

(Original post by s.elena)
    Overall it's better. When you count Sciences, Medicine, Business, Law, Languages etc. I'm always very amazed how some people seem to be stuck in the past. Like someone said somewhere that Warwick trains great bankers like that's the only occupation that matters. Internationally people know Manchester and have never heard of Durham or Warwick and only thing that comes in mind from Nottingham is Robin Hood. See for yourself http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2007/ARWU2007_TopEuro.htm
    Repeat, after me:

"Academic" league tables are bull****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welcome_to_the_jungle)
    You are so fkn sad, you really care about university rankings and all this bull? You must be a dull person. Uni is a means to an end, not a way of life...
    A means to an end? **** me. Have you BEEN to uni yet? I don't know many people who see uni as a means to an end. Most students don't like to think about the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apricot Fairy)
    A means to an end? **** me. Have you BEEN to uni yet? I don't know many people who see uni as a means to an end. Most students don't like to think about the end.
    So if enough people think it, it will become true?

Just sayin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apricot Fairy)
    that's certainly my experience too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrp)
    i agree with the above poster! why can't we all just live in a deluded little world where we tell everyone that only the sky is the limit and set their hopes up even though deep inside we know that not only do they have 0 chance of getting in, but an even harder chance at completing the degree :rolleyes:

Profesh is telling the honest truth. if the OP thinks ABB is v.hard target then what will he think of Durham/LSE etc etc Law?
    what makes you think law at durham/lse is a harder degree than most? i'm not being funny, but i don't understand why this combination would necessarily be harder than a degree in english from birmingham, a degree in biology from leeds or a degree in philosophy from york. have you read about the durham/lse law curriculum being more intensive than other universities that offer it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welcome_to_the_jungle)
    You are so fkn sad, you really care about university rankings and all this bull? You must be a dull person. Uni is a means to an end, not a way of life...

You have argued that uni is a means to an end, and as such not worth entering just for the sake of academic study. Therefore surely if the goal of university is to create better prospects for yourself then university reputation and the quality of institutions would matter to you? I think your arguement is a little skewed. A university with a great reputaton will most likely give you better career prospects at the end of it.

ReputationRep:
    Overall it's better. When you count Sciences, Medicine, Business, Law, Languages etc. I'm always very amazed how some people seem to be stuck in the past. Like someone said somewhere that Warwick trains great bankers like that's the only occupation that matters. Internationally people know Manchester and have never heard of Durham or Warwick and only thing that comes in mind from Nottingham is Robin Hood. See for yourself http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2007/ARWU2007_TopEuro.htm
    Out of all the misleading and ridicilous rankings out there, I have to say this one is the ****tiest ranking I've ever seen! You can't seriously believe this ranking gives an accurate picture?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Byz)
    Out of all the misleading and ridicilous rankings out there, I have to say this one is the ****tiest ranking I've ever seen! You can't seriously believe this ranking gives an accurate picture?
    Tell me an accurate international ranking? It you want a "Western" source here are THES's rankings: http://www.paked.net/higher_educatio...s_rankings.htm

ARWU hasn't got the finest webpage but that's the most used ranking world-wide. I'm sure it has its flaws as it's biased towards the natural sciences. But anyhow how you rank top 10. I'd more appreciate Nobel Prizes than nice surroundings etc. Of course Nobel Prizes don't apply that much when talking about Law or Business etc, but when you rank the standing of the whole university they're pretty important - at leat I see it that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boosh)
    what makes you think law at durham/lse is a harder degree than most? i'm not being funny, but i don't understand why this combination would necessarily be harder than a degree in english from birmingham, a degree in biology from leeds or a degree in philosophy from york. have you read about the durham/lse law curriculum being more intensive than other universities that offer it?
    the OP was asking about top10 Law. Since i am not going to list all top10 Unis i listed 2 i liked. and what the hell has English from Brum or Biology from Leeds got to do with anything? We are talking about Law at Top10. With her grades she probably could get into English @ Brum/Biology at Leeds etc.

ReputationRep:
    but when you rank the standing of the whole university they're pretty important.
    Nope. Nobel prizes is about the performance of one or two people, and usually has little to do with the standing of the concerned department, let alone the university as a whole! Some of the best departments in the world in a given subject don't have any Nobel awards while others with quite a number of them turn out to have an "average" reasearch record relative to others with none.

Also these days many universities search for academics that have the potential to get a Nobel prize, recruit them by giving them a pretty big salary, and they get the "nobel prize" credit for work the academic did 10 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boosh)
    Whilst the demarcation is perhaps not quite as nuanced or exacting as his post implies, there is nevertheless something of a de facto standard epitomised by the pre-eminent Law-faculties (of which Cambridge, Oxford, the L.S.E., U.C.L., K.C.L., Bristol, Warwick, Durham and Nottingham are foremost in terms of prestige) that, not wholly dissimilar to Medicine, begets a certain standardised rigour as regards the syllabus 'core' content; 'qualifying' degrees being, after all, regulated by the Law Society.

Take it from someone who has first-hand experience: Law, at Bristol (and, by extension, any of the above-mentioned), is much, much more intellectually demanding than English Literature, History or Politics at A-Level; and all of the aforementioned 'top ten' universities (or, indeed, any of those that offer a Law degree worth having) will stipulate at least 'AAB' attainment. That said, I imagine I should (if only for lack of relevant expertise) have found a degree in Biology to be more challenging still; but this is tangential to the point of the O.P.

If, even provided a modicum of effort, the O.P. is incapable of matching that specification: he may want to consider a more straightforward choice of degree.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst the demarcation is perhaps not quite as nuanced or exacting as his post implies, there is nevertheless something of a de facto standard epitomised by the pre-eminent Law-faculties (of which Cambridge, Oxford, the L.S.E., U.C.L., K.C.L., Bristol, Warwick, Durham and Nottingham are foremost in terms of prestige) that, not wholly dissimilar to Medicine, begets a certain standardised rigour as regards the syllabus 'core' content; 'qualifying' degrees being, after all, regulated by the Law Society.
    is this something you are able to show us, or shall we just take your word for it? i've never doubted that certain universities - particularly for law - are held in higher regard than others resulting in the removal of barriers during job applications, but i'm questioning the extent to which we can assume unproblematically that one course is more rigorous than another. i was hoping somebody could show me the differences (without a reduction to discussions of a-level points, "prestige" factors and the like).

abrp - my bad! i'm getting my wires crossed and thinking about a different op. the question still stands if refined a little. i don't doubt that durham/lse law degrees are more challenging than a-levels, but is a law degree harder at an institution asking for aaa than an institution asking for abb at a-level? further, is there a difference in quality that you can demonstrate?

i'm not here for a prestige fight or an intellectual ****-off, i'm just interested in the evidence to support generalised claims about quality. this may be of benefit to the op also.

ReputationRep:

Take it from someone who has first-hand experience: Law, at Bristol (and, by extension, any of the above-mentioned), is much, much more intellectually demanding than English Literature, History or Politics at A-Level; and all of the aforementioned 'top ten' universities (or, indeed, any of those that offer a Law degree worth having) will stipulate at least 'AAB' attainment. That said, I imagine I should (if only for lack of relevant expertise) have found a degree in Biology to be more challenging still; but this is tangential to the point of the O.P.

If, even provided a modicum of effort, the O.P. is incapable of matching that specification: he may want to consider a more straightforward choice of degree.
    wow, what an absolute ****

ReputationRep:
    What sets the grade benchmark for courses in most cases is its popularity. I will say this for Law and Medicine amongst others. Degrees which are intellectual demanding are clearly an exception in which case minimum grade requirements must be met.

Certainly a student at Liverpool (random choice) studying Law is in no way going to be challenge less than a Law student at LSE. It may appear that way because of the quality of students at LSE (a consequence of demand) but really could not be further from the truth.

ReputationRep:
    pac said it best. Why on earth would business management be of higher grade then say straight maths - Im talking the same university :P!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrp)

Sorry but nearly anyone with half a brain cell has the ability to snap someone out of a deluded world in a MUCH nicer way, offer good advice etc etc, or do you think guidance leaders, social workers, councillors are all nasty and sarcastic? Not in my experience
    Can you not reply without resorting to snidey sarcasm to YET AGAIN make people feel bad

I don't know whats happend in everyones lives to make them so bitter but mine has hardly been perfect and it's not made me take my anger out on others to make me feel better, and if this isnt the reason then can somebody please sensibly tell me why they don't mind making people feel bad

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.