Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairy spangles)
    Okay im gonna get involved here - mainly because i think its important to give some unbiased opinions.

My story i guess - They told me that i had severe depression. I wouldnt even get up in the morning and when i was awake i would cry all day and i stopped eating for days at a time. I couldnt see a point to my life and all i could think about was going to sleep and never waking up again. I didnt speak 2 anyone unless i had to for weeks on end and i physically couldnt leave the house. It was the worst time of my life. I had to drop out of my course and basically i was a wreck. To the person who started this thread dont worry about it having a name - its just a name it doesnt have to be your label. If it was im sure id have a list as long as my arm.

Okay some people dont like antidepressants personally they did nothing for me and i went through the whole alphabet of them. So i wouldnt say that im against them - i just found them inaffective for me. So personally i have a negative opinion however i would never try and enforce them on anyone. At the end of the day its your choice maybe you should weigh up the pros and cons of taking them and decide whether they are for you.

Okay to the point - one doctor took all my antidepressants off me and we decided to get back to the matter in hand. Turns out the depression was very real but due to a different cause that would be a chronic physical and very disabling illness - but its something i have control of and manage day by day - sort of like the depression. That diagnosis has changed my life - not for the better but at least i know the cause of my depression and i can move on. I feel like im alive again now that i am no longer severly depressed but im not saying i dont have the odd day where id rather not get up and feel down but i guess its only to be suspected. Its taken me nearly 9 months to get to this point so its not easy and it does take alot of time.

Maybe theres a cause for everything and whether it be medical or non medical. Opening thread person i hope you find yours and you can find a way out of your depression. If you need to chat about anything (and that goes for anyone) cause sometimes its better to take to someone outside the situation and theres been some really helpful people on this forum.

I never thought id be able to write all of that stuff.
    :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if anyone had any side effects if they've taken escitalopram? Ive been feeling dizzy, but then I did before taking them anyway (which was one of my physical symptoms) so it might not be the tablets, but my hands are also shaking really badly? Shpuld I continue to take them or stop?

Also I assume it is safe to take ibuprofen? Thers nothing on the packet about taking painlkillers with them? Only I have a banging headache!

This is going to sound a bit odd too but my hearing has been rubbish the last few days too, like my ears are blocked or like that feeling you get on an aeroplane when you cant hear properly when your ears 'pop', which Ive never had before? Probably just a coincidence

ReputationRep:
    *hug* Sorry to hear you're having a rough time at the moment. As others have said though, your medical records are confidential, no need to worry about that! That would have been my main concern too, though.

Try and organise to go out with friends and let your closest ones know what's going on so that they can keep an eye out for you and take you out places etc.
    Hope you get over it soon and maybe the pills will help. They helped one of my friends get over depression. She swears by them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisbemadness)
    Just wondering if anyone had any side effects if they've taken escitalopram? Ive been feeling dizzy, but then I did before taking them anyway (which was one of my physical symptoms) so it might not be the tablets, but my hands are also shaking really badly? Shpuld I continue to take them or stop?

Also I assume it is safe to take ibuprofen? Thers nothing on the packet about taking painlkillers with them? Only I have a banging headache!

This is going to sound a bit odd too but my hearing has been rubbish the last few days too, like my ears are blocked or like that feeling you get on an aeroplane when you cant hear properly when your ears 'pop', which Ive never had before? Probably just a coincidence
    You can go to Boot and ask for Ibuprofen and tell them which other drugs you are taking. If the drugs are incompatible and dangerous in combination it will light up straight away on the pharamacists computer at Boots to stop dopey chemists giving you dangerous combinations.
    You could always phone your doctor or the NHS helpline if you're not sure about whether your experiencing a harmful side effect or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adarah)
    You can go to Boot and ask for Ibuprofen and tell them which other drugs you are taking. If the drugs are incompatible and dangerous in combination it will light up straight away on the pharamacists computer at Boots to stop dopey chemists giving you dangerous combinations.
    You could always phone your doctor or the NHS helpline if you're not sure about whether your experiencing a harmful side effect or not
    Thanks, I think I'll do that

I feel really weird, not myself at all. I cant sit still at all, and feel really agitated which is unlike me, I feel nervous and on edge- and weirdly my legs keep shaking- I know Im controlling it and doing it myself, but I cant stop it!!

Also my pupils are huge!!

ReputationRep:
    lol sure you're not taking E's? :P

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I think I'll do that

I feel really weird, not myself at all. I cant sit still at all, and feel really agitated which is unlike me, I feel nervous and on edge- and weirdly my legs keep shaking- I know Im controlling it and doing it myself, but I cant stop it!!

Also my pupils are huge!!
    My legs do that all the time, it's weird.

The side effects should wear off after a while and then the drugs will kick in proper. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    As title, really

Ive been to see my GP today as Ive been ill for a while now (about 5/6 months) but put off going as I just thought it was due to exams/uni/work/jobhunting etc stress. I got to the point where I couldnt carry on any longer so finally went to see him today

He's diagnosed me as being depressed and has given me escitalopram, a months worth, then I need to go back and see him. I was in there for ages with him and he was really helpful/thorough. This is going to sound a bit odd, but I actually feel worse than ever now, I dont feel any better from being to see my GP, I actually feel ten times worse

Depression hadnt even crossed my mind to be honest so I was a bit shocked, as Ive been having physical symptoms too, so Ive had a blood test and they are going to test for thyroid conditions

Obviously I know I need to take these tablets but part of me doesnt want to, as I dont feel I need them?? Also Im worried about any side affects?
    you shouldnt feel worse !!! you've done the right thing by going to a GP whose trained etc and hes diagnosed it and gave you tablets you should be feeling better cos your back on the path to being all good again. tbh unless the pills are making you feel worse, then you might as well take them.or at least thats my very simplified view

ReputationRep:
    I know that a lot of antidepressants (especially Prozac) normally make you feel worse for a couple of weeks before you start feeling any better. I suffer from chronic headaches and migraines and got prescribed Amitriptyline (which is an antidepressant) and for the first couple of weeks I felt dreadful. Incredibly tired and emotional. Then that wore off. Didn't help my headaches though.

Stick with it.

ReputationRep:
    *Hugs*
    Don't worry too much, just go through the motions as best you can
    try and pull yourself up out of it
    you're not alone
    alot more people than you'd think have been through it.
    My mum was in hospital and went through 5 or 6 years of therapy without me knowing.

ReputationRep:

Yep I've had a lot of the side effects which you've mentioned. I've felt dizzy a lot and I've had that hearing problem for quite a while.
    Being agitated more than usual is also really common. I was awful for a week or so and then calmed down a bit. I'd carry on taking the anti depressants personally because the side effects will go away. If you're worried you can always either phone your GP or see a chemist. They should put your mind at rest

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if anyone had any side effects if they've taken escitalopram?
    I posted about my side effects on this thread already. I had awful nausea, depression and it didn't help my anxiety at all. I had to stop taking it because I felt so ill.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to bump this thread but I have a bit of a problem

Im supposed to be starting my new job in 2 weeks, Ive had to fill out medical forms, and they are now going to approach my GP for a medical report which is standard practice

The form I filled in was just a ticklist, and one of the questions was 'have you suffered any mental illness, nervous breakdown, nerves, depression, anxious state' etc so I ticked yes, as obviously I didnt see the point in lying, especially as they're going to get the medical report from my GP and will see I was prescribed anti depressants.

But they've sent the form back to me, saying that I need to provide more information on this before they can progress

Im really concerned now that they wont give me the job if I say Im suffering from depression. I feel a lot better now than I did a month ago and have nearly finished the months worth of anti-depressants my GP gave me, and will need to go back next week to update him. So should I state that aswell?? Or do I not need to give any further explanation?!

ReputationRep:
    In a recent survey 40% of employers said they would not employ someone with a mental illness. Take that as you will.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Meh, the curses of an official diagnosis. You are bound by law to admit it, but many employers will discriminate against you for it. However, if you state that you are nearly done with the meds, and you're doing better, they might consider.
    Hope you get the job!

ReputationRep:
    Im just going to put it down and send the form back today, theres no point me trying to hide it anyway as they'll find out from my medical report

ReputationRep:
    Employers aren't allowed to discriminate on grounds of any illness or disability without justification. Good luck though :hugs:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George Agdgdgwngo)
    Sorry, but are you an authority on the matter? Maybe pills weren't the best form of help for you (if indeed you have experience of mental illness), but other people deal with depression in different ways. That's prbably why the doctor only prescribed a months couse of the drug, to see if it helps. OP, hope you get better soon.
    She is simply making the point that SSRI's and similar work on a chemical basis, releasing serotonin in a rather unnatural manner. This is fine in the short-term (given that the patient does not have an adverse physical reaction). However, pills do NOT do ANYTHING to find the root cause of the depression, be it bereavement, family issues etc.

Louise is rightly pointing out that without counselling and other active therapies, pills can be self-defeating.

That you and many others have argued this not to be the case suggests far more about your own knowledge on the subject than hers.

Their is a rather worrying propensity on the part of GP's to proscribe 'happy pills' without thinking to refer the patient to a psychologist for long-term treatment. This should not be supported or justified.

OP: Keep taking the pills, but if in 6-8wks they are still not working for you (or are making you feel physically ill) go back to your GP and ask for another form of pill, and referral to a mental health professional. Good luck .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommehR)
    I know that a lot of antidepressants (especially Prozac) normally make you feel worse for a couple of weeks before you start feeling any better. I suffer from chronic headaches and migraines and got prescribed Amitriptyline (which is an antidepressant) and for the first couple of weeks I felt dreadful. Incredibly tired and emotional. Then that wore off. Didn't help my headaches though.

Stick with it.
    Amitriptyline is more of a stone-age sedative than an anti-depressant to be fair. It tends to be given by GP's on the older side :p:. It does work very well for some people though, and is often prescribed from insomnia.

I took it for a while also.

ReputationRep:
    At the time of going to see my doctor I did feel depressed, but I didnt actually think I was suffering from depression if that makes sense, I just thought it was a mixture of things making me feel 'down'. It didnt cross my mind that it could be depression as I didnt think how I was feeling was severe enough. I know there are certain things that have triggered me feeling this way, but I dont want to go into detail on here

I have a few more anti depressants left now anyway and then I need to go back. I honestly dont think I need them anymore anyway, I only took them on the advice of my GP.

Ive had blood tests done too and they've all come back negative so I know Im not physically ill either, which is something my GP originally suggested

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 17, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.