Turn on thread page Beta

Age gap poll watch

• View Poll Results: What is an acceptable age gap for you?
    Exactly the same age
    3.39%
    Up to 2 years
    17.80%
    Up to 5 years
    41.10%
    Up to 8 years
    10.17%
    Up to 10 years
    13.98%
    10+ years
    13.56%

ReputationRep:
    The only time when an age gap is 'wrong' is when a girl's like 14 and the guy is 17 etc

ReputationRep:
    I'm only 16 and wouldn't like anyone much older sooo yeah Up to 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    Well my dad's 12 years older than my Mum, so I guess I can't exactly be against age gaps =P

But for me, right now... I'd say no more than 3 years older tbh! But of course, if I met a nice 21 year old, I wouldn't just say no straight out, I think it would be weird though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I said 10+ because i think by the time you get into your 20's it isn't such a big deal and potentially i could date a guy in his mid or late 30's
    Yup, I think when you're 16-20 it's not really "cool" to be going out with a 50 year old, however, when you're 40, meeting a 30 year old isn't a problem.

ReputationRep:
    I put up to 10 years thinking reaslistically about different stages in life and how peoples priorities change with age, however, i don't think age is really an issue so 10+ is good too, I'm sure it works for many, and I wouldn't say no.

ReputationRep:
    I said 5 years, because at this time of my life, anyone older than that will probably be in a different part of their life, like thinking about families etc which i dont want right now, but i think it depends on each relationship.. everyone is different. Plus i think when im a bit older i wont mind about age as much.

ReputationRep:
    I would go 3 years either way, but would make exception if it was the right person

ReputationRep:
    I don't have "limits" really, but I've never found myself attracted to someone any more than ten years above me, so I left it at ten. I wouldn't have much of a problem being with someone 30+ however, but I'm pretty sure I won't find someone that old that has enough in common with me/that is sufficiently attracted to me/that I am sufficiently attracted to.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, I don't think anyone can really say until they've "been there". For instance, one of my friends (aged 17) was always for age-gaps, no matter what the size really... but earlier this year she dated a 25 year old and she absolutely hated it. I, on the other hand, always thought that I would find anyone more than a year older/ younger than me incredibly difficult to have a relationship with, mainly due to the differences in experience/ lifestyle ... but my boyfriend is 4 years my senior and its a far better relationship than any I've ever had. However, its true I'm only young, AND tbh my boyfriend isn't particularly experienced relative to his age, so maybe this isn't the same.

Basically, this is a hard thing to call...

ReputationRep:
    I'm nearly 23 and I wouldn't think it would be that strange to go out with a 35 year old so I've voted 10+.

ReputationRep:
    i put up to 8 years because my boyfriend is 6 years older than me.
    age is just a number it doesnt mean nothing if you love someone

ReputationRep:
    I always go for an age gap of at least 10 years. My bf now is 33, I'm 21 and its perfect! Of course saying that, its been like a month or so lol but still! I've stopped myself at the 20 year gap though, that just obviously won't work. Well its not even that it wouldn't work or that you wouldn't be happy or have things in common, its just the age and how (thinking selfishly here!) I'd be left on my own early in life because of the age difference.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't voted because it depends on the age and personalities of the people in question. For example, a 13yr old and an 18yr old would be a bit weird but a 20yr old and a 30yr old wouldn't be that bad despite the age gap being twice as big. Although for me personally, I'd find 10 years a bit much at any age but maybe with the right person...

ReputationRep:
    I said Up to 10years because right now at age 20 I wouldn't mind dating anyone up to 10 years older than me. Obviously younger I'd only go about 2 years at the most. Obviously I think I will think differently as I get older.

ReputationRep:
    i think it doesnt matter about age its how they feel

ReputationRep:
    i voted up to 5 years as my bf is 4 yrs older than me and we dunt have a problem hes 22 and im 18

ReputationRep:
    I cant understand how sum1 up to 10 years older u cud have anything in common wid (well espically at our age*) surely a 28 year old (example) wud be wanting to settle down etc. and would have had 10 years more experince of life and has already been a teenager so wud feel weird at clubs etc.
    any1 feel free to enlighten me if u feel different lol
    *15-19 year olds

ReputationRep:
    I'm 19 and me bf is 29. He is more mature, but that can only help me and I always feel protected and well adviced. Anyway, in spite of the age difference, we get along very well and have serious future plans.
    So I guess it's a very personal choice, depending on each individual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbowspiderweb)
    I cant understand how sum1 up to 10 years older u cud have anything in common wid (well espically at our age*) surely a 28 year old (example) wud be wanting to settle down etc. and would have had 10 years more experince of life and has already been a teenager so wud feel weird at clubs etc.
    any1 feel free to enlighten me if u feel different lol
    *15-19 year olds
    My boyfriend (15 years older) has already been married and has two children. I see this as a positive as it is not something he is rushing into now.
    I don't understand this arguement that you can't have anything in common, anyone can have anything in common with anyone else, it depends on the person and their attitude not their age.
    Also, I'm glad he doesn't come with me to clubs, it means I can have my own life and enjoy uni, while being in a relationship with someone I love. The age means there isn't the neediness you can get with younger guys, I feel much more indepedent.
    On top of that, he's already done the whole teenage thing so there are much fewer 'variables', as it were, in our relationship. I don't have to worry about him picking a uni far away from me as he doesn't have to.

The most important thing is it works for some and it doesn't work for others, simple as, you can't generalise these sorts of things because it is completely dependent on the people involved.

ReputationRep:
    i put up to 10 years, but then realised 2 out of the 3 people i like at the moment are older then that....hmmm, so yeah i dont see the 10+ thing being a problem really

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 2, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.