Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Syres4me)
    My dad's from the Krobo (Ga-Adangbe) tribe, his side of the family mainly reside in Tema (he has a hotel there), and my birth mum is an Ewé and lives in the Volta region. I guess you'll know my surname from the profile (not common though, it's originally a nickname or something).

Hey we should be the founding members of the Ghanian society on TSR (if it doesn't already exist lol).
    Thats awesome! yeah we should definately found something lol. have a look and see if there is one, mail me if you see anything and il do the same :-D how cool,

p.s I dont get on with my dad that much either, i think its the culture clash! x

ReputationRep:
    She hugs me when im upset, or like going away for a while.

ReputationRep:
    lol i don't see a problem with affection from parents; they're your damn parents, made many sacrifices for you...

ReputationRep:
    Im not really bothered about getting any physical affection, I have a very good relationship with my parents and thats more than enough for me.

My parents haven't ever said they love me (not that I can remember anyway) - the only times I can think of them hugging me is when I've passed an exam or something, and it's sort of expected of them to hug me. If I'm upset they're normally very practical about it and try to suggest things, when I'd far rather be comforted in some way I know it's probably just a personality thing, but it feels strange to hear friends say I love you at the end of phonecalls, or to see other people's parents hugging them for no reason other than that they're going away for a while. You're never too big for a hug!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anon because my sister comes on here and I dont want her to know how I feel.

How much affection should you expect from your parents? I'm a 19 year old girl and my mum hasnt hugged me or shown me any affection since I was about 2. Today I tried to give her a hug and she completely stiffened and told me to go away because she "only likes cuddling babies and I'm too big now". I felt a bit hurt and (stupidly) starting crying lol. Normally I wouldnt be this bothered but I've been feeling really down recently and just wanted a hug from my mum

Does your mum ever hug you or anything now you're "older"? I find that alot of my mates' mums are very affectionate with them, even when I'm there. Makes me feel a bit crap
    Aww, :hugs:. I think its the other way round with me, i don't hug my parents as much as they would like. I prefer to hug my mates or my boyfriend, but i know that when i'm at home and i need a hug my mum or dad are happy to do it. Tell you mum how hurt you were, she's your mum you should be able to hug her whatever age you are.

ReputationRep:
    I tell my dad i love him all the time, and we hug a lot too but that being said, we are very close and he means the entire world to me.

ReputationRep:
    My family are very huggy and affectionate. Everytime I go to bed I give my parents a kiss and say 'love you' and the same goes for my brother whenever we are at home together. I also kiss my parents and brother everytime one of us goes out.

Reading other people's comments has made me feel a bit weird in the way my family are so affectionate I think it's because my Mum's family are very close, her and her sisters still kiss and hug so it's been passed on to the kids On the other hand my Dad had a very cold upbringing (Mum died when he was 9) and so I think he hugs a lot because he never had that

You should have a word with your Mum or perhaps next time you go to hug her if she says "You're too big" you should tell her that people of all ages need affection and support, not just babies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anon because my sister comes on here and I dont want her to know how I feel.

How much affection should you expect from your parents? I'm a 19 year old girl and my mum hasnt hugged me or shown me any affection since I was about 2. Today I tried to give her a hug and she completely stiffened and told me to go away because she "only likes cuddling babies and I'm too big now". I felt a bit hurt and (stupidly) starting crying lol. Normally I wouldnt be this bothered but I've been feeling really down recently and just wanted a hug from my mum

Does your mum ever hug you or anything now you're "older"? I find that alot of my mates' mums are very affectionate with them, even when I'm there. Makes me feel a bit crap
    i would have a talk with her, my parents are exactly the same! Maybe you should consider getting some close friends?

ReputationRep:
    Closest i get to affection is a handshake!!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I only hug mine when I'm going to or coming back from uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugar_cane)
    Even though my mum and I are really close, hugging isn't usually the way that we show our affection. With my dad it's completely different, I'm 17 and I can say that I hug him at least once a day! ( I think my mind's still 2yrs old therefore it needs a hug! :p:)
    As people have said maybe you should express that her lack of affection perhaps is making you upset and that you'd like to see some sort of affection between the two of you. I'm sure if she realises that, slowly she'll come to understand what sort of affection is necessary between the two of you so that you are both happy :hugs:

Ah well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riim)

Ah well...
    :hugs:
    Aww, I didn't mean to upset anyone.
    My dad and I are really close. He means everything to me, absolutely everything, I have no clue how I'd cope without him...
    And when he goes on business trips (he's going to India for 3 weeks again tomorrow ) it's sad...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PFC123)
    My family are very huggy and affectionate. Everytime I go to bed I give my parents a kiss and say 'love you' and the same goes for my brother whenever we are at home together. I also kiss my parents and brother everytime one of us goes out.

Reading other people's comments has made me feel a bit weird in the way my family are so affectionate I think it's because my Mum's family are very close, her and her sisters still kiss and hug so it's been passed on to the kids On the other hand my Dad had a very cold upbringing (Mum died when he was 9) and so I think he hugs a lot because he never had that

You should have a word with your Mum or perhaps next time you go to hug her if she says "You're too big" you should tell her that people of all ages need affection and support, not just babies
    can I be in your family please ?

ReputationRep:
    I hug my mum all the time, though im not an overly huggy person! Every night before bed, and any time we havent seen each other for a while. We still kiss each other on the cheek before bed too! My bro hugs her too. Hug one set of grandparents because i dont see them much, and its always nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by upagumtree)
    My mum would like to but I won't let her :ninja:
    lol same !!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad my parents don't hug me. I wouldn't let them near me. I hate it when they even talk to me, it just makes me so angry.

ReputationRep:
    My parents have never been the hugging type, they haven't ever told me they loved me either. It's just normal to me though, I think they just feel a bit awkward with their emotions, although if they started now, I'd feel awkward too. lol

ReputationRep:
    My Mum has a weird thing about hugs too. Its always me.

I think that i have to be mature, and look for signs of affection in the things my parents do for me, surely looking after me when im ill, reassuring me when i'm worried and housing me during Uni is more important than some empty 'love you's'

ReputationRep:
    i probably give my mum a hug (or she gives me) numerous times every day. i don't see my dad a lot but everytime i do, he gives me a hug (i usually stiffen up because i feel awkward). so, yeah, my parents are quite (er, very) affectionate. op, i'd be upset if my mum/dad did that to me when you started crying, did she not ask what was wrong? or something? or did you cry on your own...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 2, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.