Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    I'll let you hit me when you let Brian Urlacher hit you.

We've established that linemen are bigger, but you still haven't told me AFL 40yard times. When you do that we can make a calculation based on science to decide which is more physical. Me running into your elbow is not science.
    most sports don't have the amount of stats attached to them that NFL does. chances are they don't do 40 yard dashes and you rarely hear times and stats bandied about during games.

however, if you want big, look no further than jonah lomu - 120kg, 6ft 5 and 100 metre sprint time of 10.8 seconds... sadly career destroyed by kidney issues. now, tell me you have that calibre running at you in american footy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bear_Grylls)
    Wrestling isnt a sport
    You should probably tell the Olympic commission, because they are evidently ignorant to your wisdom.

I agree that wrestling ranks in the top 5 at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chewy!)
    however, if you want big, look no further than jonah lomu - 120kg, 6ft 5 and 100 metre sprint time of 10.8 seconds... sadly career destroyed by kidney issues. now, tell me you have that calibre running at you in american footy...
    Yes I would say LaDanian Tomlinson is probably as good as Lomu was.

ReputationRep:
    Clicky

Here's a link to ESPN.com on their run down of toughest sports.

Its a general/bit of a laugh comparison. I'm not overly convinced of it mind; for a start they seem to think that "soccer" is tougher than rugby??? Also I think ice hockey players require more nerve than boxers.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I would say LaDanian Tomlinson is probably as good as Lomu was.
    at over half a foot smaller and nearly 3 stone lighter?

ReputationRep:
    ^ Quite possibly.

The line is where the big hits are anyway, and those guys make Lomu look skinny.

ReputationRep:
    Wrestling - even the 'fake; kind is very demanding - the wrestlers do shwos off TV and also are on the road touring a lot.

ABC News is reporting that according to Chris Benoit’s father, Michael, tests conducted by Julian Bailes of the Sports Legacy Institute revealed that Chris’ brain was severely damaged and resembled that of an 85-year-old Alzheimer patient. Bailes said that the damage was caused by chronic concussions and head trauma suffered over Benoit’s career as a professional wrestler.

As we all know, Benoit was famous for his flying headbutt off of the top roe which puts stress on the brain every time that it is executed. This study certainly could very well give us the reasons why Chris Benoit committed the acts that he did.

ReputationRep:
    ^ Quite possibly.

The line is where the big hits are anyway, and those guys make Lomu look skinny.
    no offence, but that's because of padding and to be blunt, some are just fat bar-stewards. people are people - but because american football lasts about 8 seconds a play with about 3 minutes down time, i'd say rugby players are fitter (because they have to be) and that rugby is more physically demanding. i'd say your indoor version of american footy was more demanding than the real thing i'f i'm honest...
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    But Lomu was a WINGER. He wasn't even trying to be big, he had natural talent, strength and power... and at over 18 stone he was considered a freak of nature for being so heavy yet fast.

He's made a lot of the 'bigger' guys look skinny mind, what with his tackles :p:

ReputationRep:
    I’m not denying that Lomu was an outstanding athlete, bigger and more talented than most other runners in any sport. However, that does not mean that Rugby is more physical than AF. I doubt I’m going to convince any of you, so I’ll finish with the sentiment that calling someone who runs below a 5 and squats over 400 lbs ‘just (a) fat barsteward’ is completely asinine.

Re pro wrestling, it can’t be considered a sport. Sure it is more demanding than a lot of sports but they do not compete therefore it is not a sport. The fact that there is no reason to test a non-competitive event for steroids makes things slightly easier.

ReputationRep:
    You can be stacked, and then have fat on top of that. Look at Tank Johnson. 6 ft 3 and ~135 kilos. You telling me none of that is excess weight? The main argument about American football being less physical than the others is the padding and the ridiculously short time a play lasts. A big sack in American Footy is probably the same as a big hit in rugby, but rugby does not have the downtime of AFL, or the padding.

ReputationRep:
    The downtime of AFL? There's basically no downtime bar the taking of a mark and lining up for a shot. Apart from that it's always on the go, end to end stuff.

ReputationRep:
    not AFL, NFL - my bad.

ReputationRep:
    Rowing. Olympic athletes do about 1,500 metres or so in complete oxygen debt in a 2,000m race- as in, their bodies are physically incapable of taking in enough oxygen to sustain their bodies. That's about 4 minutes or so of generating over 1000 watts of power, pushing deep down inside yourself to give the 110%, and then giving more when your opponents start to move off. Olympic rowers' legs are blue after the race as they lack so much oxygenated blood.

Even at a less olympic level, it's often that people throw up after hardcore ergs or races. I've never felt so close to death as when in the last 100 metres of a 2k test, having given it my all, to then reach down inside and pull out that little more to get the power down, the rate up, and sprint for the end. And then the convulsive heave into the sink that I stagger or more likely crawl to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inferiormadbeing)
    Clicky

Here's a link to ESPN.com on their run down of toughest sports.

Its a general/bit of a laugh comparison. I'm not overly convinced of it mind; for a start they seem to think that "soccer" is tougher than rugby??? Also I think ice hockey players require more nerve than boxers.
    I'm beginning to think EPSN has something against rugby. They had a pictue of lacrosse when talking about the World Cup a little while ago.

My vote is for rugby being the most physical, of course...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadeToBlackout)
    Rowing. Olympic athletes do about 1,500 metres or so in complete oxygen debt in a 2,000m race- as in, their bodies are physically incapable of taking in enough oxygen to sustain their bodies. That's about 4 minutes or so of generating over 1000 watts of power, pushing deep down inside yourself to give the 110%, and then giving more when your opponents start to move off. Olympic rowers' legs are blue after the race as they lack so much oxygenated blood.

Even at a less olympic level, it's often that people throw up after hardcore ergs or races. I've never felt so close to death as when in the last 100 metres of a 2k test, having given it my all, to then reach down inside and pull out that little more to get the power down, the rate up, and sprint for the end. And then the convulsive heave into the sink that I stagger or more likely crawl to.
    after my first 'competitive' 2k erg i was effectively passed out for half an hour, lying on the floor, fully conscious but unable to move. i then went to bed for 2 hours once i summoned up the energy to move. it's turly horrible, but there is something about it i love!

ReputationRep:
    The most Physical and most Physically demanding are different.

If you mean Physical as in contact with others then its got to be Rugby, in a tackle they receive similar forces to what you would in a car crash several times a game.

As for Physically demanding, as far as pure pain and effort goes its got to be rowing or a sport than races a similar distance(perhaps the 1500m in athletics?) simple because not only does it require amazing aerobic effort it also requires a massive amount of anaerobic effort too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x.narb.x)
    The most Physical and most Physically demanding are different.
    Agreed
    (Original post by x.narb.x)
    If you mean Physical as in contact with others then its got to be Rugby, in a tackle they receive similar forces to what you would in a car crash several times a game.
    Have you ever watched an American Football game? The forces experienced by NFL players are at least equal to those a rugby player receives.

ReputationRep:
    Rings in Gymnastics

The G forces equate to 1/3 of a ton of pressure on the wrist and hands. This is done whjilst giving up the persona that it is easy to impress the judges.

ReputationRep:
    Rugby.

(Original post by Profesh)
    Being him.
    Lmao!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.