Should there be a smacking ban? Watch

Catsmeat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
There's an interesting argument that if it is permissable to smack a child -in order to 'educate' them- then, in order to 'educate' an adult, smacking is also permissable. Just as some children cannot distinguish between what is socially acceptable and what is not the same applies for adults; it would seem that in order to legalise the smacking of children the law must also permit the smacking of adults. However, the 'locus' seems to be agnatic relation -that it is permissalbe to smack a child because they are the legitimate offspring of the parent. If, then, a blood relationship legitimises that action (a) smacking an adopted child may not be legal (b) smacking another member of your family is also permissable.
death.drop
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ha3el)
Precisely, your child that you are supposed to love and protect, not 'smack'. I'd rather smack a stranger in the street than my own child.
by your logic you wouldn't ever want to do anything that would make your child uncomfortable. in which case your child will be completely out of control.
you seem to think that smacking is somehow cruel, but all it does is lightly shock your kid and show them that what they're doing isn't allowed.
is that really any more cruel than shutting them in their rooms at night even though they're crying because they don't want to go to bed? methinks not.
ha3el
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by death.drop)
by your logic you wouldn't ever want to do anything that would make your child uncomfortable. in which case your child will be completely out of control.
you seem to think that smacking is somehow cruel, but all it does is lightly shock your kid and show them that what they're doing isn't allowed.
is that really any more cruel than shutting them in their rooms at night even though they're crying because they don't want to go to bed? methinks not.
my logic is not to inflict physical harm towards a child, the same method was used towards me and I'm far from out of control.
death.drop
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ha3el)
my logic is not to inflict physical harm towards a child, the same method was used towards me and I'm far from out of control.
how many times do i have to say smacking is not to inflict physical harm? there's a difference between tapping your child across the legs and the shock frightening them and full on hitting your child across the face.

I didn't say if you don't smack your child will be out of control, I said if you never do anything that makes your child feel uncomfortable then your child will be out of control.
bright star
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i don't agree with smacking personally, i think i would keep it legal though. it should be a choice each parent can make together. i think in some cases it can be a halfway house to domestic violence, although this wouldn't really happen if those issues weren't already brewing.
squeak
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
well said ^
Grape190190
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't get this whole concern with protecting a parent's "right". Why the hell should they have a right to inflict pain on their children? This nonsense that it's no business of the state to protect children: well, okay... shall we say that it's okay for a parent to shoot their kid in the foot, as long as they recover?
squeak
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well no, shooting someone is a lot more serious. Plus the average household in UK aren't likely to own guns :yy:
Grape190190
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by squeak)
Well no, shooting someone is a lot more serious. Plus the average household in UK aren't likely to own guns :yy:
Latter point is fairly irrelevant.

With regard to the foremost, I was trying to illustrate that you can't have a policy of, "This is illegal... except within a family." There, quite obviously, shouldn't be a law which allows parents to assault their children, just because they are their children.
squeak
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yeah my latter point was in light jest... everyone gets so wound up in these discussions.

I don't think there should be a law to 'assult' their children, but I think parents should be able to disipline children in an appropriate way without being locked up.

For there to be no smacking ban, there needs to be the assumption that parents won't take it to the extremes of abuse...but like someone else said, people who are going to abuse their children would probably do so, with or without laws.
Goddess Fury
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No, they should also bring back the cane in schools. There is a reason why there was no chav culture in the 1950s.
ForeverIsMyName
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by happybob)
No, they should also bring back the cane in schools. There is a reason why there was no chav culture in the 1950s.
... I know you're not the sharpest knife, but this is a new low.
squeak
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
tbh most of a ***** who misbehaved in my school probably would have benefitted from a good caneing...
Goddess Fury
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
... I know you're not the sharpest knife, but this is a new low.
What's the alternative? Take the softy "lets pay them to be good" nah a good caning for the bad kids would do them good for the future.
ForeverIsMyName
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by happybob)
What's the alternative? Take the softy "lets pay them to be good" nah a good caning for the bad kids would do them good for the future.
My qualm wasn't with your opinion on caning; the idea that getting rid of the cane somehow caused or perpetuates chav culture is frankly absurd.
AllyDay
Report 11 years ago
i think in an extreme case of bad behaviour smacking is fine as long as it doesn't leave a mark. if a parent has to smack repetitively it obviously isn't working and a new disciplinary method should be taken on!! i think if its effective though it is ok. i remember being smacked once and i was never that bad again
undercover agent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
it is absolutly 100% inappropriate form of discipline simply because the sexual connotations are so strong in this day and age.

and because no one can deny that the sexual connotatins have become so strong as to eclipse the original meaning, ergo, no one can deny that it is inappropriate and should be illegal. end of discussion surely?
squeak
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
what have sexual connotations got to do with it?
undercover agent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
surely punishing your children in a way that has kinky connotations would make you very uncomfortable and seem very very wrong?

smacking/spanking is associated with fetishism now. and thus it is sexual. and thus completly,sickeningly inappropriate to employ as a method of 'discipline' in the home. surely this is all rather self-evident?
squeak
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
erm no.

'spanking' has some association with sex, but in this context the word used is 'smacking' which I don't interpret in a sexual way at all. And in this context we're not talking about it sexually.

Surely, it would only make a person seem uncomfortable, if they actually had feelings for their child? It's a form of discipline, not foreplay.

Because a word has another meaning, it doesn't mean the original meaning doesn't apply.

If it makes you personally uncomfortable, then discipline your children another way. But I don't think your arguement would affect whether the law is in place or not.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
9.52%
They might tell the bully (4)
19.05%
I don't think they'd understand (3)
14.29%
It might lead to more bullying (7)
33.33%
There's nothing they could do (5)
23.81%

Watched Threads