laurenlodge
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm in Year 11 and do Geography and French - I love them both and get on quite well -Geography isn't the hardest and French comes down to how much you put in I think.
You sound a bit like me - I did harder ones and threw P.E. in there for a bit of a break - you'll thank yourself for it at the end of the year (I couldn't take another academic subject with mine at the moment - too much pressure!) . Especially as G.C.S.E's don't come into the grand scheme of things so much.
Toiletpaper8
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
EDIT: Actually, take that back..

Just revise WHY Lib Refs were introduced very well...
annab1684
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
erm. . okay (Y)
Toiletpaper8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I would tell you, but I don't even know if it's allowed... Just learn it well lol

If it doesn't come up, oh well, but I think Lib Refs = Defo
annab1684
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
So really your an examiner. . checking on what people think of GCSEs.
Well that explains a lot
haha but ok
Gimothy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Does your school offer science as three separate GCSEs? If you're academically inclined it might be useful.
xoJessicaAnn
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Yeah, my school does offer triple science.
But I'm not interested in anything science related and I'm
not the best at science.
AnythingButChardonnay
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Your options are the same as mine (replacing french with german). So doing drama on top certainly will not put you at a disadvantage!

I would've killed to do triple science though
Arielle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by matt54)
I was only joking about the 7A*s, sour grapes I suppose :p:
But do as well as you can, the more A*s, the better the uni.

How wrong you are. Top 10 unis get such an infulx of applicants with AAA or AAAA predictions so GCSEs are looked at extremely highly, more highly than the Personal Statement in a lot of cases. GCSEs do comprehend jobs because unis decide upon your application via GCSEs and Unis are the pathway to a good job.

OP: Do not listen to this person. Do well in your GCSEs and if you are as academic as you say you are, you should expect 8+ A*s. Good luck

I meant that the choices of GCSE didn't really matter or comperehend jobs.
But the grades definitely do, try and get as many A's and A*s as possible which are quite easy to get if you work hard consistently throughout the 2 years.
:] x x x
Fillette
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by xoJessicaAnn)
I'm a very academic student and have high aspirations etc. I was just wondering if you think my GCSE choices are suitable. I mean, I'm not really sure what I'd like to do when I'm older yet, but I'll definatley be off to university and I'd like to go to a top university; I have looked into it and like the look of Nottingham, and a few others. Anyway, I'd really appreciate it if you'd just look over my choices? I don't want to get a GCSE in something that won't help me in the future. I know they don't look at GCSE subjects too closely, but it all helps at the end of the day.

So, at my school you have to take;
English (2 GCSE's)
Mathematics
Double Science
Religious Education

And I'm thinking of also taking:
French
History
Geography
Drama

I know Drama isn't exactly the best subject to take at GCSE (academics wise) but after a heavy load of Geography AND History (you're only supposed to take one humanities subject but i'm 'gifted' so I get to take more than one) so I thought Drama would be a good way of gaining confidence and just having fun. I also have a passion for theatre and it's something I've always enjoyed and acheived very highly in.

i would really appreciate your feedback? x

You will have chosen the exact same combination I chose back in 2005! :p:

I enjoyed them lots... Geography and History, challenging and interesting, balanced by Drama which was a good outlet from classroom academia. Not a doss subject though, I worked hard to get an A in it. Well, French is good also- always useful to have a modern foreign language. This combination gives you a wide scope of opprtunities for A-level and university [even though you do not necessarily want to think that far ahead] So good luck, and I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.
qgujxj39
Badges: 15
Report 11 years ago
Can you not do separate sciences (biology, chemistry, physics)? It's way better doing them separately, and it helps you if you're going to do an A-level science (which you'll probably do at least one of).

Definitely take drama if you enjoy it. Taking drama will not hinder you whatsoever, and will if anything look better on a CV showing that you have extra breadth to your studies (I'm taking A-level music alongside my science/maths subjects for this reason).

And I wish I was lucky enough to not have had to endure a technology. I did food tech. A whole year down the pan; when I started year 11, I just kind of quit food tech to study extra maths, which has turned out to be one of the best decisions I ever made.

Seriously, for an academic person like you or me, a technology is hell. My food tech consisted of not much more than making crappy apple crumbles and spending hours and hours drawing tuna mayo butties on Microsoft Paint, and I've heard that all the others are no worse.

But the combination you've put sounds great: good luck with them!
HockeyMademoiselle
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Do what you enjoy!
With respect, once you get to A level no one really cares what you've dome for GCSE.

Also, had I not been forced into taking a technology that would have been my exact options.
As it stood I took French, History, Drama and Textiles (compulsory :P)
purple-girl
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
At my school we had to do Maths, 2 English, 2 Science, French, Short Course ICT (in yr 10), and 3 options. I chose to do Triple Science, RS and Latin. I wish I could've done 1 or 2 more though...like Geography. I wish I hadn't dismissed it so readily after yr 9. as I didn't like it too much in that year as it was rather repetitive. I don't regret choosing the ones I did choose though. I wish we didn't have to do ICT though, and could've chosen a different short course. No idea what I would've chosen though =). Probably Geography, though having not liked geography really in yr 9 I probably would've gone for History.

Anyway, enough rambling about my own subjects-GCSEs are long gone for me. Well, not that long gone, but hey. They were good while it lasted. But yeah, your subjects are good. Drama's not so good, but you're passionate about it which is what matters, and doing both Geograhy and History is something I wouldn't do, but if you're "gifted" then it won't be a problem. And I obviously can't speak from experience about doing either of them. French is a very good subject to have-Languages are always good to have, and for Cambridge (if you're considering that!) a language GCSE at least is compulsary.
purple-girl
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The subjects you have chosen so far are good-especially German and Geography. With those you have a good language and a good humanity, both of which are good. As for History and French...well. Unless you want to do languages, you don't need to do both German and French, so that makes me lean towards History. However, doing both History and Geography will be hard work from what I've heard, though manageable. And perhaps doing 2 languages might get confusing? I don't know...

Another thing is that you already have business with your business and communication systems, so maybe do both History and French, but not Business Studies? However, that's kinda hypocritical of me, seeing as I chose to do RS when I knew I was going to have Religion and Philosophy lessons too. Though that was 1 lesson a week, and basically the General Studies of the GCSE years. Except we didn't get a GCSE out of it, good or otherwise.

Oh, while I remember, one thing to take into account is that for A-Levels, to do French you need the GCSE, for History you don't necessarily. Well, that's the case at my school, I don't know about yours, as the topics are completely different at my school for GCSE and A-Level. If, at your school, they're the same, then what I've just said is probably useless, and you'll need the GCSE for the A-Level, so this point is redundant.

Basically, just go with your interests. Probably exactly what you DON'T want to hear. If you're considering languages, or something international, in the future, then do French. If you're more intersted in humanities and just want to do French as it's another language, then do History. Both are very good subjects to have, and neither will disadvantage you...though French might restrict you more, as you only need one language (unless you want to do Languages) and is needed for less subjects, as History is useful for all essay-based subjects, like Law. However, it's really A-Levels that mean the most, and if you're not considering any of them for A-Level, then either one is good.
moody28028
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If I were you, I'd take French and History instead of Business studies, especially how some of it will be covered in your Business & Communication Systems.
billet-doux
Badges: 2
Report 11 years ago
Take German, Geography, French & History They're the best!
Good luck xx
SKATEBOARD07
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Actually althoiugh the papers are pretty straight forward it is by far the worst syllabus because

1) u cant get a revision guide for it

2) there is not enuf time in the exams

3) the syllabus is not specific and accurate so much that isnt on the syllabus comes up
GalaxyLearning
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Go for your dreams, who knows what can happen! :-)
C0balt
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by GalaxyLearning)
Go for your dreams, who knows what can happen! :-)
Dude, this thread was from 2008, which means she probably is off to uni by now lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its_Tito
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Before you get deceived, Drama is a great choice (I am about to start year 11, so my third year of Drama GCSE) and it does give you confidence most definitely, and you do have a lot of fun. Especially if you have always enjoyed theatre like myself, you will thoroughly enjoy all aspects of it. However, make sure you know how difficult the exam is at the end of the day, both written and practical. Drama written exams are done in a way different to every other subject, it's not like the History layout we all know so well. You have to write a specific thing about a specific topic and feeling in a specific order...it's hard, to say the least.

Also, the practical? Pick your group wisely. Going with your friends can have it's benefits, sure, but just as many problems come with it. Some of my friends still have arguments about what goes on during lessons to this day and it's just not worth it. You need fresh ideas and positive input, and sometimes your mates will just think exactly like you.

Don't think I'm saying 'Don't take Drama, it's horrible' because it's not, it is one of my best choices in my opinion. Just be prepared to know it's not an easy subject, it is just as hard and can be even harder than some others.

Anyway, good luck and I hope all of your GCSE's go well for you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.22%
They might tell the bully (34)
9.44%
I don't think they'd understand (55)
15.28%
It might lead to more bullying (139)
38.61%
There's nothing they could do (106)
29.44%

Watched Threads

Latest