AQA English Language and Literature 2008 Watch

mickjoe18
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
Our teacher thinks that maybe it could be something to do with extremes as well as fire
spacedust
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Our class seem to believe that the object of fire represents the negative aspects of society and it's not being used in a literal sense. A lot of people think that each section of text 5 represents the aspect of fire in each of the other texts.
jimmywatson
Report 11 years ago
I can't see each section of text 5 representing the aspect of fire in each of the other texts, but after 1 week of hardcore annotating it might make more sense.
I was wondering whether you guys are doing it individually or divvying the texts up between everyone in your class then reporting back to one another at a later date?
spacedust
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
In small groups
mickjoe18
Report 11 years ago
Definately individually, no point waiting around for someone who many only come up with a half-arsed attempt at something you could have done far better. I'm all for comparing notes at the end though.

Sorry just re-read that first bit and it seemed like a rant!
Mr Otter
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I quite like it.

The Robert Frost and George Bush texts are especially interesting.

Lots of pragmatics, pronouns and rhetoric to discuss with GB's speech. My favourite. :3
sarah_lou_7
Report 11 years ago
so far iv been looking at the text and it seems to be mainly negative connotations of fire with the exception of the first and last texts which represent fire as a positive thing. i can understand the whole negative aspects of society but i think its something more. espeshially with text 2 (robert frost) and text 4 (blue remembered hills) there seems to be a link between fire and human sin/emotions and how human sin (fire) destroys and brings about death, maybe suggesting human self-destruction? im not sure though what do others think? and im really stumped on text 3 and what relevence the fire has to the story or how it fits in with the rest of the texts. i was thinking maybe he fire represents janes 'desire' towards mr. rochester in context to the story?
jamiehuson89
Report 11 years ago
right i'm wondering if anyone would be able to explain what the attitudes and values are as i keep forgetting them and getting them mixed up.

thanks
craig_welsh
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by jamiehuson89)
right i'm wondering if anyone would be able to explain what the attitudes and values are as i keep forgetting them and getting them mixed up.

thanks

I don't mean to be rude but if you don't know how to get the attitudes and values from a text by now, you will struggle! Look on the internet, you'll find lots of websites on A and V.
sarah_lou_7
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by craig_welsh)
I don't mean to be rude but if you don't know how to get the attitudes and values from a text by now, you will struggle! Look on the internet, you'll find lots of websites on A and V.
craig u rude basterd hahaha
jokig buddy x
charlotte-jayne
Report 11 years ago
I'm liking text 4 - blue remembered hills. I studied it in A2 drama and theatre studies and its available on DVD. I think it really helps to understand it, if you watch it. The roles are played by adults acting as children - something a little bizzare! xx
individual_08
Report 11 years ago
Get the prerelease everyone?? I havet had a chance to look at it in depth though! Anyone read it thoroughly??
xx
spacedust
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah I've read it quite thoroughly. I'm concentrating more on Friday's exam than this one at the moment, but I feel I am going to really enjoy analysing and evaluating these six texts.
I also have a suspicion we will get a Shakespeare extract in the exam as an unseen text - most probably 'Henry V' or 'Twelfth Night'.
markypdiddy
Report 11 years ago
just did a bit research, and stumbled across something about 'Blue Remembered Hills', it's on tomorrow night, BBC4 at 22:30

either miss the BB launch show or record it! haha
Aj_B
Report 11 years ago
will probs get a transcript in exam cuz there not 1 in pre release
DevilishAngel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Aj_B)
will probs get a transcript in exam cuz there not 1 in pre release
yep that's what i was thinking too
spacedust
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
We'll definately get a transcript and probably either a Shakespeare play or sonnet or an extract from Samuel Pepys diary.
kram322
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
A thought I had about the first extract (which is probably a bit obvious) but it links to the others by the myth that fire was given to humans for a practical purpose ( keep warm, give light etc) but it is used for destruction linking pretty much to the other texts.

obvious but just to put it out there?
DevilishAngel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by kram322)
A thought I had about the first extract (which is probably a bit obvious) but it links to the others by the myth that fire was given to humans for a practical purpose ( keep warm, give light etc) but it is used for destruction linking pretty much to the other texts.

Oh great analysis....never gave that a thought....thnx 4 this
individual_08
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by kram322)

Nice thinking mister!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (129)
64.18%
No I haven't decided yet (43)
21.39%
Yes but I might change my mind (29)
14.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed