68.24%
Depends on the Uni (17)
11.49%
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I went catered in first year, and I really enjoyed it.

There's nothing like getting up (admittedly, tragically early) and getting a cooked breakfast, rolls, porridge and so forth just laid before you with no effort. Equally, it's quite pleasant not to have to think about dinner and buying food in. The social angle is also excellent - all your friends in the one place at the one time.

Moreover, it can often bring a detached hall together, particularly at formal meals - where everyone tends to get terrifically drunk.
markdr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by no hero in her sky)
Catered in first year, self-catered thereafter.
:ditto:
Where I'm likely to go (Nottingham), the vast majority of the accommodation is catered, so that gives you a nice 'safe' first year, but when you're living out during the next two years, you'll be self-catering. Sounds like a good plan to me.
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Sounds like a good plan...until you taste the food :p:
jus-mi
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
but why wait till the second year id always thought moving to uni was for students 'young adults' to become more independent...whats the point of being spoon-fed(not literally just an expression of things being done for you) in your first year than learn how to cook in your second, you might as well start cooking forself in the first year, obviously having cooked meals occasionally isn't bad like going back home having some of your mums cooking but on a regular basis its not worth the money you might as well just stay home init thats how i see things
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by jus-mi)
but why wait till the second year id always thought moving to uni was for students 'young adults' to become more independent...whats the point of being spoon-fed(not literally just an expression of things being done for you) in your first year than learn how to cook in your second, you might as well start cooking forself in the first year, obviously having cooked meals occasionally isn't bad like going back home having some of your mums cooking but on a regular basis its not worth the money you might as well just stay home init thats how i see things
But think of the bigger picture, you're new to it, have to get used to a lot of things anyway, are looking to join clubs, need all your time. Catered suits some people a lot better. As for money, catered works out a lot cheaper for me.
CTurbinado
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
i think ill go with catered during the first year. after that ill have enough time for self-catering...
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Angelil)
SillyFencer: but the point is that halls food is really no healthier for you than living on takeaways, particularly when (as here in Oxford) you can have chips every day if you want.
That's up to yourself though, the other day I had:

Breakfast: Weetabix with a banana chopped through, an apple, a yoghurt, a bowl of fruit cocktail and a roll.

Evening meal: Mackerel, pasta and salad. Soup and bread. Gammon and pineapple. 2 Kiwis, a yoghurt, cheese and crackers.
v2006
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
wow that is one hell of a healthy diet sillyfence
Catsmeat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
I went catered in first year, and I really enjoyed it.

There's nothing like getting up (admittedly, tragically early) and getting a cooked breakfast, rolls, porridge and so forth just laid before you with no effort. Equally, it's quite pleasant not to have to think about dinner and buying food in. The social angle is also excellent - all your friends in the one place at the one time.

Moreover, it can often bring a detached hall together, particularly at formal meals - where everyone tends to get terrifically drunk.
I agree absolutely; Hall is where we 'congregate' after a day of shuttling to-and-from lectures, heads down, eyes bleary, from our books. It's often the one time that I can have a conversation lasting longer than a stuttered "I'm in a hurry; we'll have to talk later".

That doesn't mean we can't cook if we want to, so the opportunity is always there. However, having your entire menu decided for you saves the time of having to come up with something imaginative, and avoids the repetitious eating of the same food.
HawkAhriman
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
non-catered...uni's supposed to be teaching you how to make your own way in life, right? What's the point if you have someone doing it for you, you don't learn anything.
jus-mi
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
exactly
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by HawkAhriman)
non-catered...uni's supposed to be teaching you how to make your own way in life, right? What's the point if you have someone doing it for you, you don't learn anything.
That's right, uni is about learning to cook, clean... If you don't learn that, you learn nothing at uni. Getting a degree and learning stuff in your classes is not what it's about at all. :rolleyes:

Oh, wait a minute...
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by v2006)
wow that is one hell of a healthy diet sillyfence
lol, not really. That's once in a blue moon, I decide it's time to be eating healthy. The following week I'll turn back towards the chips lol
HawkAhriman
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by SillyFencer)
That's right, uni is about learning to cook, clean... If you don't learn that, you learn nothing at uni. Getting a degree and learning stuff in your classes is not what it's about at all. :rolleyes:

Oh, wait a minute...
academics aren't all there is to life.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by HawkAhriman)
academics aren't all there is to life.
Eh? When was this thread about life? It's about uni, as was your post I replied to (the one that says you learn nothing at uni if you don't learn to cook).
HawkAhriman
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Eh? When was this thread about life? It's about uni, as was your post I replied to (the one that says you learn nothing at uni if you don't learn to cook).
last time I checked, uni takes place DURING life.

also, I didn't say that at all...
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

Oh, wait a minute...
I entirely agree, Fencey. Personally though, I think the degree is secondary to other development, but realistically the ability to cook and clean isn't at all high on the list either. Moreover, I could cook fairly well before I came to uni; I know plenty of people who, after four years, still can't.

(Original post by Catsmeat)
That doesn't mean we can't cook if we want to, so the opportunity is always there. However, having your entire menu decided for you saves the time of having to come up with something imaginative, and avoids the repetitious eating of the same food.
I suppose I (we?) were lucky in having catered halls that also had proper cooking facilities in addition. From what I understand, some lack proper ovens and hobs - which I for one think it monstrously silly.
Catsmeat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
I suppose I (we?) were lucky in having catered halls that also had proper cooking facilities in addition. From what I understand, some lack proper ovens and hobs - which I for one think it monstrously silly.
We have limited cooking facilities. Though the majority of Undergraduates act as adults, apparently some infractions in the past ensured that we are no longer trusted with cooking hobs. We have a microwave; a kettle; and a George Foreman grill (which I have yet to find a use for...) We also have asbestos.

I'd certainly appreciate the right to have a hob; I do enjoy a bowl of porridge that isn't microwaved into oblivion in the morning.
HawkAhriman
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
it's not so much the actual act of cooking and cleaning as the whole "taking care of yourself" thing. Like, managing your money so you have enough for food, managing your time, all that kind of stuff. Obviously it's not JUST cooking and cleaning, but they come under the umbrella of "taking care of yourself".
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Our cooking facilities here are dreadful, which just makes me mad to be honest.

SillyFencer: isn't that a huuuuge amount to eat for one meal?! I could never eat that much :eek:

While I don't eat chips very often at all, for the uni to provide them every day is frankly a bit dumb, when you have undergraduates eating in hall every day and are still high on being away from their parents if they're in their first year. It wouldn't surprise me if half of them DID choose that option every day. What's wrong with the uni providing them just once or twice a week, and at least attempting to steer their new undergraduates in the right direction?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (10)
6.41%
They might tell the bully (17)
10.9%
I don't think they'd understand (28)
17.95%
It might lead to more bullying (58)
37.18%
There's nothing they could do (43)
27.56%

Watched Threads