I wouldn't call it cheating :) (38)
18.45%
star.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by RangerX)
So have you like copied someone else or written on scrappy paper for test question answer? I mean since secondary school, college or uni have you cheated in a test or an exam or coursework in like anyway or like asking your mate for answer or in any other tricky way?
gcse english coursework - copied my mate's who is in the year above:yy: altered the wording a little bit just in case. did the same for AS history actually. it's a lifesaver having friends in years above haha. needless to say i never got caught
username156343
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
ive cheated in smaller exams which didnt mean anything, I once wrote down the different parts of the brain for my Biology Standard grade
Sprockette
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah. I wrote down some maths formulas on the inside of my calculator. Most of them lol I don't have the best memory! So I'm making up for a lack of memory, not cheating! I would have for my final exams too if I had the chance, but I didn't. And now in uni I still would if I knew how to cheat!
Greatleysteg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've never cheated in any sort of an exam, not even a small one, but then I take academic stuff really seriously....

In my school, whoever sits behind me or to the side in an exam (even in the A2 modules I've just sat) ALWAYS asks me answers.. everyone tries to cheat, and they always ask the people who get the best results.. it's shocking, like in maths they're constantly whispering 'whats the answer to this' or 'how do you do question x?' - it's not fair because they don't do the work, so they don't deserve the A's, but also it both distracts me from my own work and leaves me in danger of being accused or partaking in cheating.
Mr. Orange
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by tommorris)
I have cheated at both primary and secondary school, but not in anything related to an actual qualification that I hold. I still keep track of how people cheat in schools and examinations, as it's interesting on an intellectual level (for instance, there's a video on YouTube of a guy who takes a Coke bottle, scans the label, Photoshops it to replace the text on the label with relevant material and then sticks a print-out back onto the bottle.
well done for blowing his cover...now anyone related to anything in examination authority will clamp down on it by only cups instead of bottles in exams!

Fantastic idea though to go to that detail!
marcusfox
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Not for anything that really counted - when I was at school in Ireland I bought this book of Irish language material in a shop, and used to copy parts of it word for word when asked to write a story on, say, my holiday. Having my primary education in England, I had no idea of Gaelic, but the school refused to exempt me from the lessons. This was only really at the equivalent of year 9 though.

In my second year of uni, I won one of these as a prize for a promotion - http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Stabilo_Bionic.html - they are great to write with, really comfortable, etc. I still haven't been able to find them in stationery shops.

I was using one for my second year exams. We had it in a big hall at the old part of the university, and there were loads of other second years doing exams at the same time, as well as everyone I knew from my course. (Those of you who were at Reading will know the old campus, down at the bottom of the hill near the RBH) Must have been several hundred of us all together in one room. I was taking an exam in Organic chemistry, and had just drawn a molecule, but went back to add an extra part. I accidentally put my hand in the wet ink and an impression came out on the fleshy part of my right hand where the thumb is attached. As I turned my hand over to gaze at a perfect stereoisomer of penicillin, the invigilator - not part of the chemistry department - walked by and embarrased me in front of all those people by pulling me out of the examination on suspicion of cheating.

Apparently my explanation was good enough though, and I got to take the exam again in private, but all my mates came up to me afterwards to ask what had happened - everybody thought I was a cheat - until the department later apologised to me in a lecture.

Marcus
dyslexic_banana
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Ad-Alta)
You actually cheated at uni? :eek:
Yeah, in fact my dad also did a couple of projects for me, for an I.T. module I did. There were three of us, probably known to be friends, who copied the solutions that the guy in the year above had, so some might argue we were lucky not to get caught. We weren't stupid enough to submit sets of perfect answers, though, and we even agreed that the one doing the best would copy the most of the answers, the one doing second best, a few less, and the one doing the worst (which was me, 'cause at the time I was extremely lax) a few less; still enough to get about 75%, though. This was in the first year, however, so didn't count towards anything. There was another module I cheated on, in which I got congratulated, with the teacher commending me for submitting "the best piece by quite some way!"; it was a case of 'on my conscience be it', I guess.

Thinking back, in secondary school, different forms used to do the same tests for subjects, at different times, so I sometimes used to ask mates in different forms as to what the questions were; didn't usually get very many, though, so it didn't help that much.

In GCSE Science, groups did a rotation of teachers/modules, and one guy in my tutorial group got his paper for one module back, complete with his very good answers. I didn't get the answers for the ones he got wrong, but £1 was enough to persuade him to allow me to 'hire' his paper out for one night (the night before our Science group was to sit the said test). I ended up with a mark remarkably similar to his, at about 80%. The test didn't count towards anything, but my high result was probably what saved me from being moved down a group.
TomandJerry09
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
For my maths GCSE, the teacher used to get us to mark the homework he had set, by reading out the answers, then ask for our score. Didn't do any homework, got near top marks every week
Steve_Stevenson
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
same with mine.

Once wrote a whole case study on my tie for a geograpghy exam.
Areontas
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Nope, and I wouldn't want to because I'm only cheating myself. Since secondary school, we've had end-of-year tests, unit tests, mocks etc. and I haven't cheated on those. We tend to do them in pretty strict conditions though, so it's not like many people could get away with cheating even if they tried. We used to have vocab tests every week in French though (for GCSE), and I never really learnt them properly, so just said I got a higher mark and passed when I didn't. Everyone did that though, and I don't think it counts. I've done rubbish in a lot of the aforementioned tests however, and I doubt cheating would help an awful lot when I don't really know anything.
JessicaW
Badges: 1
Report 11 years ago
No. I prefer to lord my honesty over people.:cool:
Steve_Stevenson
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Ash06)
Nope, and I wouldn't want to because I'm only cheating myself.

not if it get u a qualification at the end of the day.
Areontas
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by reido99)
not if it get u a qualification at the end of the day.
Yeah, but I'd start stressing about it, or keep thinking I'd get caught for it... if someone can do it subtly, be fine with it, and still be happy with their grade - that's up to them. Depends on different people, really.
chriztina27
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i cheated in my year 6 science SATS paper lol, the test had finished and we were all getting up to leave the hall whilst our headmaster was collecting all the papers and i asked my friends on the way out what did you put for the question saying how long does it take for the earth 2 go round the sun?i found out i'd answered it wrong so i quickly ran back to the desk with my paper on coz my head was at the back of the hall, turned to the page of the question, changed my answer and walked out lol.

oh yeh and also for my gcse science, on the inside of the lid of my calculator i wrote what endothermic and exothermic (? i think thats what they're called?) reactions were on the morning of my exam as i'd not revised them. and then there was a question asking what an exothermic reaction is and i felt peettrriiified and so guilty reading off the lid for an undeserved 3 marks! not doing that again!
Steve_Stevenson
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
v. sly
zzzzzoe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
in year 9 i wrote the reactivity series on my hand and in the exam, put my hand up for a calculator! anyway, my science teacher found out...
ive never cheated since!
Glutamic Acid
Badges: 16
Report 11 years ago
I remember the mental maths and spelling tests we'd have in junior school. I'd usually end up getting between 18 and 20 out of 20 for them, but I wanted perfection, so the person who marked mine and I just said we'll add on 2 more than what we actually got.

For my level 6 maths exam I was in a small room, it was only me and 2 others taking it. For one of the questions I was drawn to someone's paper, where I noticed my working out was different to their's. I then worked out the correct answer. I'm not sure how 'cheaty' that is, since I didn't actually get the answer off the person and I ended up getting 30/30 anyway.

Also, when we were doing practice mock exams for KS3 SATs I'd mark my paper ultra-leniently, with the odd slight amendment.

Also, in KS3 end of year tests there'd be posters and stuff all around the music room, so when I was doing the music exam I'd just look at the posters. When we were marking it then the teacher just said fair enough for using your initiative...
Thirucumaran
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well, I did do it once, in an 8th grade Physics class test......there used to be a small metal compartment under the desk so I kept my notebook and was trying to peek at it while the sir was looking but unfortunately he saw me, crossed out my paper and gave me a 0! I somehow managed to hide the paper, and my parents kinda 4got about the test, so I never had to show it to them! However, my sir was kind enough as to not mention a word about it during the parents-teachers meeting!
Donald Duck
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Loads on crappy tests (assuming I'm not the smartest guy in the room), and once on my IGCSE mocks for french.
cpj1987
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've never cheated, because I don't see the point; but there was a girl in my year at school whose Mum did all of her courseworks for her. The teachers all believed she was really clever, but she then failed every exam at AS level, and was forced to drop out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
66.09%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.79%

Watched Threads