OnlyMe!
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by adrian88)
I'm sorry. Does 30 hours a week seem alot to you? How punishing is a 30 hour week?

I don't think so. Even a normal 9 to 5 job takes 8 hours per day, adding up to 40 hours a week, let alone traders requirement to get to work at about 7.30 in the morning, and leaving at about six.

Is there something I did not get around here with the French working from 9am to just 2pm?
I love this post, especially the last part: "Is there something I did not get..."! Damn right. :p:

Spoiler:
Show
Jerome Kerviel :hubba:
12many
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by Johan C)
I don't see the link between the second and third paragraphs, unless you're suggesting (what a tenuous argument) that ppl in France won't work much because their farmers get subsidies so the farmers - ca. 3% of the population - don't have to... And get over cliché #255, most people in France don't care much for/about the CAP and we might be the largest recipient but we're hardly the only one. And if you're not going to support our farmers, I don't see why those useless Poles should get any cash either - yet they're being showered with it and the UK hardly complains.
thats why the british rebate exists, its because the french CAP the only thing is the french decide to spend the money to support cows where as the english spend it on science medicine and technology thats why

england is so much more successful than france,

useless poles, polish work much harder than the french for period, when was the last time you heard a polish person complaining at working mroe than 30 hours a week
capitalP
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/eu...ot-774658.html

I like him
Johan C
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by 12many)
thats why the british rebate exists, its because the french CAP the only thing is the french decide to spend the money to support cows where as the english spend it on science medicine and technology thats why

england is so much more successful than france,

useless poles, polish work much harder than the french for period, when was the last time you heard a polish person complaining at working mroe than 30 hours a week
Learn English, then we'll talk. The Poles fish for favours with the EU but sidestep it whenever convenient (much like the British actually)... BTW, you might want to know that with the decline of the pound v.s. the euro, France's GDP is now fifth largest in the world (ahead of the UK) - how is England "so much more successful" ? Its manufacturing sector is and always has been less productive, and a ridiculous chunk of GDP depends on the finance sector - talk about lack of diversification.
12many
thats because the french are protectionist eg the government blocks deals as best it can because they are french example mittel steel and arcelor ! typical french protectionist, thats why no one can take over french companies, thats why every major company in the world floats on the FTSE and not the CAC, b

because the french are uncompetitive, the french arent willing to work hard and in turn no one listens to france !

hence why england has so much influence around the world and france has none

if the french stopped moaning and started working they 2 could achieve what the english have achieved !
Johan C
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by capitalP)
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/eu...ot-774658.html

I like him
Good article.
Johan C
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by 12many)
thats because the french are protectionist eg the government blocks deals as best it can because they are french example mittel steel and arcelor ! typical french protectionist, thats why no one can take over french companies, thats why every major company in the world floats on the FTSE and not the CAC, b

because the french are uncompetitive, the french arent willing to work hard and in turn no one listens to france !

hence why england has so much influence around the world and france has none

if the french stopped moaning and started working they 2 could achieve what the english have achieved !
Seriously how old are you ? Sure we're protectionist, so are the U.S. (and at least we don't pretend to be elite free-marketeers). I don't endorse it, but it doesn't seem like the reason for our alleged uncompetitiveness - how are we uncompetitive anyway ?
As to the influence thing, I hope you're joking.
kahler_potential
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Learn English, then we'll talk. The Poles fish for favours with the EU but sidestep it whenever convenient (much like the British actually)... BTW, you might want to know that with the decline of the pound v.s. the euro, France's GDP is now fifth largest in the world (ahead of the UK) - how is England "so much more successful" ? Its manufacturing sector is and always has been less productive, and a ridiculous chunk of GDP depends on the finance sector - talk about lack of diversification.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_GDP_(nominal)

http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/...NGDPD&grp=0&a=

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_..._member_states

http://www.opendemocracy.net/ecology...ticle_1330.jsp
szeles
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Nominal GDP is a useless measure anyway, have a look at GDP/capita for a more accurate measure of population "wealth"
Josephf
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Does anyone know who (if anyone) SocGen hired in to sort the mess out (which auditors/forensic accountants)?
Johan C
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Keep up with the times my friend, read the press : http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/abe2ffc4-c...0779fd2ac.html
Kdawg
Report 11 years ago
wow I couldnt access this site from my computer for some reason and hence, was not able to express my contempt towards people claiming French people are lazy and don't work at all. People, french traders do not leave their desks earlier than english ones, this is absurd. Anyway, I planned to take a year out and work on SG's trading floor but with this issue brought up , what do you reckon are the future prospects to be hired by SG ?
szeles
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Okay, I thought people would grasp it at once, but it looks as though I was overly optimistic. So here it is: the article from thedailymash was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek. A joke. A satire. Geddit?! It's astounding that some of you managed to make such a big deal of it...
Kdawg
Report 11 years ago
my post was with respect to the comments posted by TSR members not the article I did not bother reading. Anyway, i've been following the french news and Jerome claims he's done it all by himself, it's all his fault. He was betting on the rise of stocks in three European indices or something.
12many
frenchman speaking to fellow frenchmen says

" i hate americans", i hate english i hate the english language and everything about them, think because they beat us twice against all odds they are better than us huh !

"whats that !!! the germans are coming"

Bonjour americans bonjour english we love you so much allo !!!
CityMonkey
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Keep up with the times my friend, read the press : http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/abe2ffc4-c...0779fd2ac.html
Though you are indeed correct, first of all, I am skeptical of momentary switching of positions down to currency fluctuations, which is what this is (I also happen to be quite bullish about agricultural economies like France currently). Working out relative economic prosperity on a hard currency exchange basis is, well, wrong. You'd be hard pushed to argue this exact case for China mind.

Secondly, we have to ask whether GDP alone is an indicator of economic prosperity, as there are a number of problems associated with this. One key differentiator which can be overlooked here is that France's government expenditure is much higher than that of the UK, and I think I've made my opinion on that very clear in the other debate.

Hence, you're right, however, I don't think there are many people ringing the bells and blowing the whistles for France to be an economic leader to the UK in the long run.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.01%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.84%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.49%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
38.25%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.42%

Watched Threads