This discussion is closed.
Fointy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by xMiss_Sarahx)
In short, yes.
If you get given the option, refuse to take it.
I think(no think about it) I may(will) need to resit mine, but may just do a completely different module(S2) instead. Really annoying, as i wasn't doing too bad on the past papers, but my brain just gave up on me in the exam
I dunno, we did only start it like 4-6 weeks before Xmas as well, so was alot to learn in a short amount of time.
I just tend to hate mechanics though, so i'm biased.
This year i'm doing {S1, C3, M2, M3} (just sat), FP1 (wed), {C4, FP2, FP3, D1}summer.
Yeh, last year i only took maths, then realised i needed further maths for my unis, so all my modules are in the wrong order, and i'm doing a crazy amount this year.
What ones are you taking?
I'm doing the same thing as you. Regret not choosing to do FM from the start (it clashed with computing, I unwisely chose the latter).
Did C1, C2 and M1 last summer. This Jan I've done:
S1 (we only finished the course the day before, I entered it spur of the moment but it went pretty well)
C3 (went well, graphics calc is always helpful )
C4 (urghhh wouldnt have been too bad but I think I was a bit dopey, I got int/dif confused on one q, missed a whole section of a queston, and the last q was gaay)
M2 (went pretty well and I feel pretty confident about)
M3 (seemed to go alright, didn't really get time to check my answers tho)

and I've got FP1 on Weds. Need to start revising for that now tbh.
ZAKeL100sc
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
I think no matter what anyone says, FM is essential now; due to both competition for uni places in courses that use maths, but also standard maths just seems so far from maths used at uni.
xMiss_Sarahx
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeh, lack of C4 integration has proved a problem (both for FP1 and to some extent M3)
hmm, might try and do S2 then.
Yep, revision for FP1 staring tomorrow.
oooh, where you going traveling ZAKeL100sc?

Ah Fointy, pretty identical. Except C1 in January. and my lack of C4 till summer...was meant to take it now, but they left it up to me to learn C3 and 4 on my own, and i'm not the most productive, so decided to just do C3 now.
Seriously, only 3 modules in a year was such a breeze compared to the work load now.
'C3 (went well, graphics calc is always helpful )'
haha, yes, i got a graphical calculator to help me along with that. Although i never fully learnt how to use it, and tried to draw that exponential graph on it during the exam, and the scale was set funny on mine, so not much help, as just saw a tiny bit of a vaguely horizontal line. Tracing paper also saved my ass in that exam, can't copy curves to save my life.

Yeh, i guess it depends what course you're doing though. In my year at school we have such a low number of people doin fm compared to maths for some reason. At beginning of last year it started off as 3 in Fm, about 12 in maths. After January, 1 of the FMs had moved down to maths, after summer another one moved down, and then i moved up.
In the year below theres like 15FM though, after me causing all this extra problem for the maths department they decided to just try and sign as many up as possible for FM then tell them they could drop down if they wish.
ZAKeL100sc
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by xMiss_Sarahx)
Yeh, lack of C4 integration has proved a problem (both for FP1 and to some extent M3)
hmm, might try and do S2 then.
Yep, revision for FP1 staring tomorrow.
oooh, where you going traveling ZAKeL100sc?

Ah Fointy, pretty identical. Except C1 in January. and my lack of C4 till summer...was meant to take it now, but they left it up to me to learn C3 and 4 on my own, and i'm not the most productive, so decided to just do C3 now.
Seriously, only 3 modules in a year was such a breeze compared to the work load now.
'C3 (went well, graphics calc is always helpful )'
haha, yes, i got a graphical calculator to help me along with that. Although i never fully learnt how to use it, and tried to draw that exponential graph on it during the exam, and the scale was set funny on mine, so not much help, as just saw a tiny bit of a vaguely horizontal line. Tracing paper also saved my ass in that exam, can't copy curves to save my life.

Yeh, i guess it depends what course you're doing though. In my year at school we have such a low number of people doin fm compared to maths for some reason. At beginning of last year it started off as 3 in Fm, about 12 in maths. After January, 1 of the FMs had moved down to maths, after summer another one moved down, and then i moved up.
In the year below theres like 15FM though, after me causing all this extra problem for the maths department they decided to just try and sign as many up as possible for FM then tell them they could drop down if they wish.
When i was at school the only people doing FM were foreign students (ie. chinese); FM was stereotyped as being too scary for 'domestic' students. I've applied to economics so i felt that i would need at least AS FM for my application to uni's; unfortunately i couldn't do the whole A2 as some modules arn't offered in Jan. I'm off to S. America, Australia, NZ and Fiji. Should be a nice break.
Zii
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
found it straightforward, but having thought about question where you find the coefficient of friction again, i know i've made a frigging stupid mistake right at the end, i did all the right working but ended up not checking properly.

there goes 100%.

also, I just wrote e > 0.25 , without the having to be less than or equal to 1. this will lose me maybe a mark.

Grrr........

for 6 c, it was a simple work energy 1/2mv^2 - 1/2mu^2 - mgh = 0, initial speed was 3 root 29, all the m's cancel

i actually found entire 6 quite straightforward

BUT STUPID ME for not checking thoroughly enough, i was just so tired from having to do 2 hours of psychology in the morning (and thus had to be looked after until i could sit M2 in the afternoon)!!

x_reggg
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i thought the exam was kinda hard, and i could only prove the speed = 8/5u at the very last minute :x

on the whole maths/further maths thing, i had the opportunity to take GCSE a year earlier, so i ended up doing C1/C2 in year 11 then doing about 2/3 modules (not counting retakes) each exam period so i only have 2 modules left to do
BurningSnowman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I left out the <= 1 in the collisions question too, Gamaya. I was counting the seconds for corrections and that got you no marks on some old mark schemes. Anyone know if newer ones are the same?

Answers I can remember-ish were I think either 4 and 80 or 8 and 40 on the work one. Stopping distance I think I had 102.4 or something, so 100m to 2sf. My angle was 15 to nearest degree. Got mu=0.180. Projection I finally got sqrt(1192)=34.5 to 3sf at the last second after a couple of dumb errors, which I'm hoping might be right. KE lost in collisions I had 0.45mu^2.

A little peed that I'll lose marks for something as dumb as my vectors answer. I didn't read t=1 and gave the answer as a vector in t.
marbles
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by BurningSnowman)
Answers I can remember-ish were I think either 4 and 80 or 8 and 40 on the work one. Stopping distance I think I had 102.4 or something, so 100m to 2sf. My angle was 15 to nearest degree. Got mu=0.180. Projection I finally got sqrt(1192)=34.5 to 3sf at the last second after a couple of dumb errors, which I'm hoping might be right. KE lost in collisions I had 0.45mu^2.
I hope you're right too, because that's what I got.

I intentionally left out the >=1, because in the past paper mark schemes I'd seen it hadn't been included, so I guessed it must just be assumed or something, I dunno...
AlphaWulf
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hey all, M2 fairly easy but not brilliant. Been reading through and I seem to have the same answers as most of you guys. Panicked when I realised I'd forgotten e<=1, but oh well, hopefully they won't be that pedantic. Other answers include: 102.4m, 34.5ms, mu=0.18, that's all I can remember for now (memory like a sieve).

One thing I couldn't understand was the question on projection where you had to show t=5 for part a) and find u for part b). The only way I could see to do it was to show horizontally that t=15/u and then use that in the vertical to find u=3, which left me with t=5. This seems to be the right answer, it just seems wierd that part b) would be 2 marks if it's asking something that we're meant to know already. Did I do it in the wrong order and do you think I'll lose any marks? :confused:
marbles
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by AlphaWulf)
One thing I couldn't understand was the question on projection where you had to show t=5 for part a) and find u for part b). The only way I could see to do it was to show horizontally that t=15/u and then use that in the vertical to find u=3, which left me with t=5. This seems to be the right answer, it just seems wierd that part b) would be 2 marks if it's asking something that we're meant to know already. Did I do it in the wrong order and do you think I'll lose any marks? :confused:
I worried about that. But then I thought that if you had your horizontal and vertical equations (both in terms of t and u) you could eliminate u and solve for t... without having to find a value for u.

Then part b (which was just one or two marks I think) was just sticking your value back into one of your initial equations and getting that u answer. I still don't see why they'd give that question, though.
marshmallows
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
@ AlphaWulf for part a) (projection one) the u cancelled out for me. Maybe I did it the way they wanted it.

I've seen mark schemes that do not punish candidates getting the answer to b) in a) (for example) ... you'll be fine.

QUESTIONS:

A 2.5 kg block is moving along a horizontal plane. It has an initial speed of 8 m/s. After 20 m its speed is reduced to 0 m/s. There is a constant horizontal resistive force R.

a) Find KE lost
b) Find the magnitude of R

A lorry of mass 1000kg is moving up an inclined plane, inclined at an angle ‘a’ to the horizontal. There is a constant resistive force of 550 N. It travels at a constant speed of 16 m/s and is working at a rate of 60Kw.

a) Prove that sina = 1/14

The lorry is travelling up the slope and moves a distance y. Its initial speed is 16 m/s and is bought to rest when it has travelled a distance y.

b) Find y

A ladder AB is resting against a wall. The angle between the ladder and the wall is 30 degrees. A is on rough ground, B is against a smooth wall. The ladder’s length is 4a and its mass is m. A particle C is ‘a’ away from A with a mass of 3m. The ladder is in limiting equilibrium find the coefficient of friction.

A particle is projected at a velocity of (2u i + 5u j) 47.5 m above the origin O. It lands at B which is on the same horizontal plane of O. The horizontal distance is 30m.

a) Prove t=5s
b) Find the speed of the particle, P, at B

P of mass m has velocity 2u and hits Q of mass 2m moving at velocity u in the same direction as P. The co-eff of restitution between the two is 1/2 . Find the speed of Q.Q hits a stationary particle R. The co-eff of restitution between Q and R is e. Find the values of e so that P collides with Q again.

Can’t remember the impulse one

I’ve got the Centre of Mass one on paper but its annoying to draw out.
marshmallows
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
----double post
Secret_F
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by marshmallows)
@ AlphaWulf ....

A lorry of mass 1000kg is moving up an inclined plane, inclined at an angle ‘a’ to the horizontal. There is a constant resistive force of 550 N. It travels at a constant speed of 16 m/s and is working at a rate of 60Kw.

a) Prove that sina = ¼

The lorry is travelling up the slope and moves a distance y. Its initial ....
i think is to prove that sina=1/14 rather then 1/4, other wise the car won't go 100 something meter up the slope
Fointy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by AlphaWulf)

yeah I did exactly the same. I tried afterwards to find t first but I actually failed. I doubt it will make any difference at all tho tbh
The Sherminator
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
How come I am the only one that got 16 degrees
My angle was like 15.5 so I rounded up.... it seems that I was doing it wrong.
I got lucky with the last question, i was just asking my maths teacher about that the same morning! lol.....
sugar_cane
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I made so many stupid mistakes in that paper it was ridiculous. I just literally gave most of my marks away :rolleyes:
chidona
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
'Twas easy-peasy lemon squeezy.
Finished the paper in about half an hour (not rushing, taking my time and drawing diagrams etc), sans the last part of the last question which I took a long time over in order to be sure I didn't make any silly mistakes, but I forgot to put the <= 1 as most of you guys have as well.
Then spent the next hour or so going over the paper at leisure, eradicated a little mistake I had made earlier on, but I know now that I did something weird for one of the questions, and that's lost me a mark, but nothing i'm too worried about.

But ARGH, no one told us we couldn't use pencil/blue ink! It's not on the front of the paper at all, and it wasn't read out to us at the beginning. And guess what I did?

All writing in blue ink, all diagrams in pencil.
xMiss_Sarahx
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by chidona)
'Twas easy-peasy lemon squeezy.
Finished the paper in about half an hour (not rushing, taking my time and drawing diagrams etc), sans the last part of the last question which I took a long time over in order to be sure I didn't make any silly mistakes, but I forgot to put the <= 1 as most of you guys have as well.
Then spent the next hour or so going over the paper at leisure, eradicated a little mistake I had made earlier on, but I know now that I did something weird for one of the questions, and that's lost me a mark, but nothing i'm too worried about.

But ARGH, no one told us we couldn't use pencil/blue ink! It's not on the front of the paper at all, and it wasn't read out to us at the beginning. And guess what I did?

All writing in blue ink, all diagrams in pencil.
well they say drawings(diagrams) and rough notes can be in pencil so that's fine.
Well its the first time they've introduced this no blue ink rule, so there'll probably be a few who've done the same.
tef07afc
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Thought this paper was quite easy compared to other papers i've done. I couldn't believe it when people came out the exam room and said it was really hard.
I also forgot to put 'e' must be less than 1 in my answer to 7c - hopefully won't be penalised!
allyourbase
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
couldnt really do much of 6 and 7, got v=5/8u or whatever it was but not much else i dont think i did put loads of working down though so hopefully not TOO many marks lost. 6 was just a nightmare had a major blank.

The rest seemed to go pretty well but i ended up with mu=0.72 instead of 0.18 ?? so i must have forgotton to times a moment by 4

ah well. heres hoping for a decent B grade :s

possible percentage grade boundaries? reckon they'll be normal since it wasnt a particularly hard paper?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (138)
62.16%
No I haven't decided yet (48)
21.62%
Yes but I might change my mind (36)
16.22%

Watched Threads