Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t.w.)
    Incidentally, why did you back out of that debate on male vs. female intelligence, after having said you'd respond?
    I was incredibly busy with my PhD, editing a bunch of articles for publication, and editing a poetry journal. I decided an argument about male and female intelligence could be sacrificed for more important and urgent tasks. I also suspected that there was no point in arguing about that kind of thing in the first place on an internet forum. I noticed that many of the younger or more insecure males were agreeing with the statement that men were more intelligent than women, and many of the women and older or more enlightened men were dismissing it. I concluded that, if the debate was to be had at all, it's with people I know and respect and not a bunch of antsy teenagers in cyberspace. But most of all I just couldn't be arsed, as it doesn't affect me or what I'm doing.

ReputationRep:
    In that case probably not best to preface your response with:

(Original post by the_alba)
    I don't have time now, but I will read and answer your post soon enough. Just to clarify on this point though, I didn't read an advocacy of eugenics into your post, definitely not. I hope you didn't think I was accusing you of believing in that kind of filth, because I wasn't. I just meant that, once natural selection takes a central role in debate, uglier sides of that position, such as eugenics, nudge their way into the arena. I didn't accuse you of anything - there was a question mark after the word 'eugenics'.

Oh, and I liked the Anne of Cleves thing - humour is always good in debates like these. Maybe, to avoid getting into the squabble we did previously, we could retain a sense of humour and levity this time? That would be most welcome. Anyway, I'll reply later.
    [Emphasis mine]

(Original post by the_alba)
    if the debate was to be had at all, it's with people I know and respect and not a bunch of antsy teenagers in cyberspace.
    There wasn't much point joining the debate in the first place then, was there? What did you expect - retired professors of anthropology?

If you're going to inform me of my various weaknesses uninvited, and in a public forum, I'll take the liberty of doing the same thing. Perhaps you should take a deep, hard look at some of your behaviour on these forums. I've noticed whenever anyone neg-reps you we invariably here the cry of 'someone better own up to that or I will find you out and get you back'. Seriously, grow up. Why care so much about it? It's a rep-system on a teenage forum, for christ's sake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t.w.)
    If you're going to inform me of my various weaknesses uninvited, and in a public forum, I'll take the liberty of doing the same thing. Perhaps you should take a deep, hard look at some of your behaviour on these forums. I've noticed whenever anyone neg-reps you we invariably here the cry of 'someone better own up to that or I will find you out and get you back'. Seriously, grow up. Why care so much about it? It's a rep-system on a teenage forum, for christ's sake.
    :rofl:

I'm sorry, but the idea of you telling graduates like myself and Hobnob to 'grow up' is beyond ironic. It's ****ing hilarious.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.