Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vesicle)
    Say if you had a passion for bannanas, you would be able to spot quite quickly if the person you were talking to didn't share your passion on bannanas as they wouldn't get your references or share your banana tinted view of the world.
    lol! I got to agree with that!
    I have always had a passion for art and on the first day wehn I first started secondary school, out of all the new people, I somehow instantly recognised those who share the same passion as me, just after a few talks and a day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yg110uk)
    lol! I got to agree with that!
    I have always had a passion for art and on the first day wehn I first started secondary school, out of all the new people, I somehow instantly recognised those who share the same passion as me, just after a few talks and a day.
    *nods* I know. My best friend was the first person I talked to on the first day. How uncanny. We are quite different though, but we have different passions, but the same mutual feelings, if that makes sense.

It's so weird how you almost instantly, or (pre) instantly know whether you will like someone a lot. Perhaps it's some throwback from evolution, the ghost in our brains that helps us form social networks based on mutual co-orportation and common goals.

ReputationRep:
    I talked to my current boyfriend on one of our first days of high school. He's actually one of the only people who I've consistently been friendly with through high school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yg110uk)
    So, Oxbridge seem to be seeking applicants with mainly A*s at GCSE and "A"s at A-levels and etc...
    ...and also enthusiasm for their chosen course and "potential".

So, what kind of "potentials" are they seeking?
    Someone who has been achieving the top grades all the way from a very young age?
    Someone who was relatively poor at their chosen subject (eg, got a B/A at GCSE) and getting high "A"s

And do you like their applicants to be good at everything?

Thanks.
    While top grades usually go with potential, this is not always the case. Having got 2 marks above a C in his chosen subject, yoda STILL got into oxford. Perhaps this has not been made clear enough. And while yoda is, obviously, good at everything, a lot of applicants are not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yoda)
    While top grades usually go with potential, this is not always the case. Having got 2 marks above a C in his chosen subject, yoda STILL got into oxford. Perhaps this has not been made clear enough. And while yoda is, obviously, good at everything, a lot of applicants are not.
    Yoda may have got 2 marks above a C at AS, but Yoda will now have to get 268 marks at A2 just to scrape an A and thus meet his AAA offer. The joke is on Yoda.

ReputationRep:
    Nonetheless, yoda's point is proven. Oxford care little for AS grades - it is not required for AAAA to get an offer. Yoda got ABB and an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yoda)
    Nonetheless, yoda's point is proven. Oxford care little for AS grades - it is not required for AAAA to get an offer. Yoda got ABB and an offer.
    You cannot make a sweeping statement based on your own experiences.

And I thought you were dead.

ReputationRep:
    Easter is a time for miracles. Yoda is alive.

And yoda's argument is not to make a sweeping statement, but to provide evidence to refute a common one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yoda)
    Did you meet your offer? I've noticed a lack of 'omg I got 212 in an AS level' posts and wondered where you were.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, with much to do yoda was otherwise occupied. However fear not, for he has returned.

And no, yoda did not make his offer. Having boosted the 212 to an A, yoda got a C in another subject - simply 2 marks above a D this time. Yoda now resides in bristol university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yoda)
    Oh, with much to do yoda was otherwise occupied. However fear not, for he has returned.

And no, yoda did not make his offer. Having boosted the 212 to an A, yoda got a C in another subject - simply 2 marks above a D this time. Yoda now resides in bristol university.
    Your GCSE's, Interview performance, etc could be the reason you gained the offer though.

And Mabe_uk, is working on fulfilling his offer!

ReputationRep:
    Indeed. Yoda wish mabe_uk good luck. Perhaps yoda's gcses did not aid his application, however he can be sure that interview performance and pre-interview test did. Yoda believes the emphasis applicants put on grades is misplaced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yoda)
    Indeed. Yoda wish mabe_uk good luck. Perhaps yoda's gcses did not aid his application, however he can be sure that interview performance and pre-interview test did. Yoda believes the emphasis applicants put on grades is misplaced.

Exactly what were Yoda's GCSE's, Like no A's, A*'s, B's etc & what subject did you apply for @ Oxford?

mabe_uk agrees with Yoda, because he thinks his pre-interview test and interview's went well.

ReputationRep:
    A* AAA BBBB CCC Yoda believes. And yoda reads physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yoda)
    Easter is a time for miracles. Yoda is alive.
    No miracles for you.
    You ended up at Bristol, after not having made your offer at Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    No miracles for you.
    Miaow.

Sorry to hear about you missing your offer, Yoda. Hope you're enjoying Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    No miracles for you.
    Oh, quite the contrary. Had yoda made his offer, he would simply not have turned it down. To get to oxford and be forced to work is unacceptable. Perhaps yoda would have been sent down. By divine intervention yoda missed his offer and went to bristol where he need not work, spending his time drinking instead.

ReputationRep:
    Yoda is thrilled to discover that solemn wanderer remains on tsr. So many fond memories, he has.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yoda)
    Yoda is thrilled to discover that solemn wanderer remains on tsr. So many fond memories, he has.
    You may need to change your sig though. Welcome back, your like a TSR wonder.

ReputationRep:
    Nice to see you back Yoda :p:

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.