Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It seems that glorious nation of Israel have demolished Palestinian 667 homes AS MASS PUNISHMENT between 2001 and 2005.

http://uruknet.info/?p=m42117&s1=h1

Just imagine how you would feel if a crane approaches your house and demolishes it in front of your eyes. Outrageous.

ReputationRep:
    For anyone actually interested in the truth here is the actual quote from the B'Tselem site:
    From October 2001 to the end of January 2005, Israel demolished 667 Palestinian houses in the Occupied Territories as a means of punishment, leaving more than 4,200 persons homeless. Half of the demolished houses were adjacent to the family homes of suspected perpetrators of terror attacks.

In February 2005, the abovementioned committee recommended that the policy be stopped.. The same month, then-Defense Minister Mofaz adopted the recommendation.
    and the link: http://www.btselem.org/english/Punit...r_to_Mazuz.asp

Always better to go to the source.

ReputationRep:
    And how is that any different to my post? It took them just under 4 years to make a recommendation?

ReputationRep:
    Because your post implied that this is a new discovery and new announcement and that the 667 homes were recently demolished rather than this being a policy that has was stopped 3 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniOfLife)
    Because your post implied that this is a new discovery and new announcement and that the 667 homes were recently demolished rather than this being a policy that has was stopped 3 years ago.
    It's not a matter of finding the "truth" though. That's essentially what has happened. Mind you the article was released very recently

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidjones90)
    It's not a matter of finding the "truth" though. That's essentially what has happened. Mind you the article was released very recently
    Well, the context and all pertinent information should be released at the same time in order not to lead people to believe something that isn't true.

So for example it might be 100% true to say that "Mr A punched Mr B" but it comes across very differently if you also add in "in order to stop Mr B stabbing him. Mr A later apologised to Mr B".

The article was released recently but the part I quoted which is what you were referring to is mentioned as "background" not as something new at all.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever rocks your boat Uni

ReputationRep:
    Whatever rocks your boat Uni
    I'll take that as a grudging admission that I was right...'cos truth rocks my boat baby :rock:

ReputationRep:
    I'll take that as a grudging admission that I was right...'cos truth rocks my boat baby :rock:
    Yeh but it wasn't exactly a "lie" . I didn't say Israel demolished 2 trillion homes as punishment. Regardless, it fits into this topic of settlement expansion

ReputationRep:
    Yeh but it wasn't exactly a "lie" . I didn't say Israel demolished 2 trillion homes as punishment. Regardless, it fits into this topic of settlement expansion
    I didn't say it was a lie, hence my analogy in which saying something that is 100% true is still not all the truth. I think that the fact that the report you originally posted made no mention of the fact that this policy was stopped three years ago should perhaps lead you to think about whether that source is reliable in any way.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say it was a lie, hence my analogy in which saying something that is 100% true is still not all the truth. I think that the fact that the report you originally posted made no mention of the fact that this policy was stopped three years ago should perhaps lead you to think about whether that source is reliable in any way.
    Have made it clear for you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.