Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    :confused: From my knowledge Cambridge isn't in or 'just outside' London, it's at least 40 miles away (which is where we were talking about?). On another note it's pretty expensive as well. Why is Cambridge 'a good deal'? I'm a bit lost?
    No, I know it's not in London. I was just mentioning it because it's not too far by rail and you can get something decent for 270k, or you could when my relatives last bought which wasn't long ago.

ReputationRep:
    That might be a better idea, NS, as I think that with your budget you are underestimating the London market and even the surrounding area. I live about 40/50 mins from London when I'm at home and even there you won't get anything decent for the budget you're proposing. It's awful but true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    That might be a better idea, NS, as I think that with your budget you are underestimating the London market and even the surrounding area. I live about 40/50 mins from London when I'm at home and even there you won't get anything decent for the budget you're proposing. It's awful but true
    I would like Manchester a lot but even thats getting pricey. (Ifyou dont want to live in some rough area, which manchester has a lot of)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saoirse)
    Whats Clapham like price wise? And Battersea? I know nothing really about the London property market! Except that Kensington or any of the nice areas near the King's Road are impossibly expensive
    Clapham varies - some of it is absolutely lovely and horribly expensive (it's known as the Nappy Valley, lots of yummy mummys and the highest concentration of under 2's in Europe apparently) and then there are some really nasty bits. Cheaper, but not really somewhere you want to be living. Battersea is similar, very expensive. If you go a bit further south Putney is nice, but again it's expensive, you *might* get a flat for 250k but you definitely won't get a house. A bit further out, Barnes, Sheen and Richmond are lovely, but again the prices reflect this. Kingston is nice, Surbiton is ok too and has the better rail links of the two, but that whole part of SW London is ridiculously expensive ... I doubt you'd find a house for your budget, unless you were willing to live in an ex-local authority place, which tend not to be the best areas. Even then for a house you'd be at the very top of your budget.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    No, I know it's not in London. I was just mentioning it because it's not too far by rail and you can get something decent for 270k, or you could when my relatives last bought which wasn't long ago.
    Cambridge prices are pretty high now, especially near the station - the new blocks of flats are advertising "prices from £425k" and I don't know how big they are. Sure, there are some less costly areas, but they're further from the station which makes the commute harder. Not to mention that the commuter trains are utterly vile and overcrowded.

ReputationRep:
    no part of London is affordable :p:

ReputationRep:
    Manchester . Two hours on the train and it costs less than £10 if you do it properly. You then just sleep at the railway stations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    Manchester . Two hours on the train and it costs less than £10 if you do it properly. You then just sleep at the railway stations.
    or £1 if you're lucky

edit: well you can't get the first and last train for a squid so that's *******s actually

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Cambridge prices are pretty high now, especially near the station - the new blocks of flats are advertising "prices from £425k" and I don't know how big they are. Sure, there are some less costly areas, but they're further from the station which makes the commute harder. Not to mention that the commuter trains are utterly vile and overcrowded.
    Oh yeah, but Mill Road isn't too bad, or indeed near Newmarket road.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    Not sure I'd feel as safe walking around Manchester, as free as I do here.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure I'd feel as safe walking around Manchester, as free as I do here.
    i feel sorry for the 400,000 residents of manchester :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I do actually know people who commute to London from Manchester daily. Also from Paris. Sounds no fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gooseymcgoose)
    I do actually know people who commute to London from Manchester daily. Also from Paris. Sounds no fun.
    the amount of time i sit on my arse viewing this forum on a daily basis, i could have been to London and back by train. *lightbulb flickers*

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, but Mill Road isn't too bad, or indeed near Newmarket road.
    Would you want to bring up kids on Mill Road though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Would you want to bring up kids on Mill Road though?
    I know someone that does, off mill rd. They seem to like it a lot. Any city is built up.

ReputationRep:
    Commute from Manchester?

Live in Essex!

ReputationRep:
    Wow for my budget there are some sweeter deals in Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overground)
    This is probably just an annoying comment for you. But my house is now worth £280k. It has four large bedrooms, three storeys, semi, and is in one of the nicest areas in Birmingham. Good schools, loads of parks, low crime, 20 mins door to door to Birmingham city centre on public transport, < 2 hours door to door London Euston if you time it right.

I'm not necessarily trying to plug my town (OK, I am), but I'm just emphasising that you'd get a much better deal outside of London. There are pros and cons to living in London, weigh 'um up.
    Oh I take your point. People really underrate the UK's other cities and whats on offer. Basically I'd be looking at tiny flats in London for that money.

Oh I take your point. People really underrate the UK's other cities and whats on offer. Basically I'd be looking at tiny flats in London for that money.
    Do you have to be in London, or is that just a choice? Got a job there?

Decent towns within 1 hour of London are Southampton, Cambridge, Oxford, Ipswich (maybe a little far), Brighton. Anywhere within 30 miles of Charing Cross is going to be outrageously priced, even tiny houses in small areas. A relative of mine, married with a baby, used to live in a tiny terraced house in East Ham. That's a pretty skanky part of East London. Now they've moved to a quite big house in a nice part of Nottingham with the money they got from selling grot London house. Your money goes so much further anywhere else, particularly in the last ten years.

ReputationRep:
    I can speak for Soton, you could afford a lovely house here for your budget. Probably 4 bedrooms.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.