Turn on thread page Beta

Is suicide right watch

• View Poll Results: I suicide right?
    Yes
    58.96%
    No
    41.04%

ReputationRep:
    Lol, the phrasing of this thread is crazy. Are you asking if suicide is morally condemnable or are you asking if we should all be killing ourselves? Suicide can be "permissible" but to say it is "right" is to argue that we SHOULD be doing it. Haha

ReputationRep:
    Since I'm using TSR to procrastinate my coursework, I thought I'd give Hamlet's view on the matter:

(Original post by Hamlet)
    To be or not to be, that is the question;
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The Slings and Arrows of outrageous Fortune
    Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
    And by opposing, end them. To die, to sleep;
    No more; and by a sleep to say we end
    The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
    That flesh is heir to — 'tis a consummation
    Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
    To sleep, perchance to dream. Ay, there's the rub,
    For in that sleep of death what dreams may come,
    When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
    Must give us pause. There's the respect
    That makes calamity of so long life,
    For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
    Th'oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
    The pangs of dispriz'd love, the law's delay,
    The insolence of office, and the spurns
    That patient merit of th'unworthy takes,
    When he himself might his quietus make
    With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,
    To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
    But that the dread of something after death,
    The undiscovered country from whose bourn
    No traveller returns, puzzles the will,
    And makes us rather bear those ills we have
    Than fly to others that we know not of?
    Thus conscience does make cowards of us all,
    And thus the native hue of resolution
    Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
    And enterprises of great pitch and moment
    With this regard their currents turn away,
    And lose the name of action.
    Personally, I'm with Little-H: fear is the chord that keeps us here. (And look, I rhyme like he does, too.) That, and a dash of false-hope.

Really, though, there's nothing wrong with suicide in the purest sense, but it's kind of irresponsible -- because life isn't clean, and you'll **** other people over.

ReputationRep:
    Assuming you mean morally culpable, it is very difficult and you need to take into account whether they REALLY wanted to commit suicide AND whether they would have regretted it had it failed. For example, suppose someone gets really upset and in a wild rage tries to stab themselves, I'd be more inclined to forcefully stop them because I know that they don't know what they're doing and they're just upset. However, if someone was on a hunger strike or something, that takes time, thought and resiliance and I'd be more likely to believe that they do genuinely want to end their life.

Ultimately, it's their life and they can do what they like with it. But only taking every consideration into account (they should seek counselling etc. first so that no avenue is left unturned). Imagine if you stop someone from committing suicide and they have a great life and they thank you afterwards - cases such as those do happen so to immediately give someone the right to suicide is madness in many cases.

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid I find suicide to be selfish. You don't exist just for you. And if you so truly understand what it means to feel absolute depression and despair, why on earth would you want to inflict that on your loved ones?
    Especially in cases where the victim has a child/children I think its a really awful thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    I think suicide is deeply immoral, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    What a bizarre question.

ReputationRep:
    Suicide is right when it is done to prove a point and to avoid suffering a more painful death. The Cuban who committed suicide whilst on radio to avoid being put in jail after denouncing Batista's government comes to mind. Allende is a classic example of this as well.

Most other suicides are ridiculous and preventable. Although there are a couple of scenarios where committing suicide would seem reasonable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buteo)
    Suicide is right when it is done to prove a point and to avoid suffering a more painful death. The Cuban who committed suicide whilst on radio to avoid being put in jail after denouncing Batista's government comes to mind. Allende is a classic example of this as well.
    Aye, these are good counter-examples.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bw505)
    a life so bad, no way out, they should be forced to live it?

i dont neccesarily agree though..i think if people have it so bad they shpould cancel all links and gamble on a new life perhaos in another country
    By having a bad life when talking about people who commit/attempt suicide generally it means they're depressed and psychologically unstable rather than things aren't going right in the external world.

ReputationRep:
    Badly worded question; however, considering suicide in the context of 'morally acceptable', I'd be hard pressed to find a reason to outright condemn it.
    Of course it depends on circumstances (mental health, etc.), and of course it will hurt loved ones to loose some-one. The question we have to ask it, who (or what) are we living for? Although loved ones undoubtably enrich ones life, I don't think we should be living for their benefit, no matter how much they rely on us. I don't think we should owe our lives to anyone.

I'm not utterly convinced that everyone who commits suicide is 'psychologically unstable' either, but that's understandably hard to prove.

ReputationRep:
    John Edwards gave a good example regarding suicide
    The after life is a great place.. when you are meant to be there

Think about it like when you finished school.. if you didnt go to the lessons/learn stuff/make friends then you wont be able to enjoy the last day as much as those who went to class etc. There wouldnt be that same feeling.

Death is the moment we graduate the school of life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bw505)
    What are our views on the morality behind suicide?
    Morality does not concretely exist. As such, suicide is neither 'right' nor 'wrong'. It may be 'undesirable' for members of the family, but reconsidering it is undesirable to cast so quick a judgement without truly empathising with what the person is feeling; nor is that a realistic aim. The act is morally neutral. It's an event that happens and possesses no concrete moral worth other than the complex and personal superficial judgements that we place upon the act.

I'm not saying that 'morality' isn't a meaningful concept and doesn't exist to some extent, but to be accurate it is sensible to conclude that 'morality' and 'suicide' are not directly linked. The cirumstances in each case behind the suicide may offer better grounds on which to place at least some form of moral worth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yusuf2007)
    Death is the moment we graduate the school of life.
    What if you decide to drop out?

I'm sorry, I just don't see that metaphor going anywhere important/interesting...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K.T.)
    What if you decide to drop out?

I'm sorry, I just don't see that metaphor going anywhere important/interesting...
    well duhh dropping out is when you kill yourself
    but lets not try and get one on up eachother now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yusuf2007)
    well duhh dropping out is when you kill yourself
    The only way I can interpret this is, you're saying that if you kill yourself you don't get to the afterlife. That sounds excellent if you're suicidal.

ReputationRep:
    Well no, i mean you'll get to the afterlife.. but you wont feel as happy there as say someone who died via say Cancer does as it wasnt your natural time to be there.
    things have to run their course for them to be truly appreicated.

ReputationRep:
    I was unaware that there were different levels of 'happiness' in the afterlife. But, then again, the afterlife is a mythical construction, so why not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K.T.)
    The question we have to ask it, who (or what) are we living for? Although loved ones undoubtably enrich ones life, I don't think we should be living for their benefit, no matter how much they rely on us. I don't think we should owe our lives to anyone.
    Really? I disagree completely. The people you love are what MAKES life worth living. Everything come down to them.

ReputationRep:
    ^ I'm prepared to differ on that point. The question is, how does that affect your opinions on the morality of suicide?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K.T.)
    ^ I'm prepared to differ on that point. The question is, how does that affect your opinions on the morality of suicide?
    Since she disagreed with your claim that one shouldn't "owe their lives to anyone", I'm assuming she'd be anti-suicide on the grounds of it violating a commitment of sorts to loved ones. This commitment is probably a moral one, since a moral objection could be raised on the grounds of knowingly bringing about what are generally considered to be the negative repercussions of grief and sadness.

Not that I particularly agree with that point. I don't feel impelled to live just because friends or family might have a mental breakdown or the like.

"Is suicide right?"

It can be.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.