Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    My boyfriend is a foreigner. We have been together nearly three and a half years and plan to marry.

However, he's French and thus a member of the EU and therefore has the right to live in the UK, just as I have the right to live in France (we're planning on the latter option long-term though it may be the former for a short time).

I'm guessing you're referring to Brits marrying people from Asia more than anything when you write this post?
    if my mam hadn't married a French man I wouldn't be alive

ReputationRep:
    i think if two people love each other, then they should be allowed to marry and the other person should be allowed to come here. HOWEVER i think that if we didn't take on a system like the Aussies then a period should be introduced where the immegrent should be married to the person for say, the minimum of 7 years before they become a British citizen - but still allowed a job etc. and if they get divorced before that say 7 years- they get deported.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosemkate)
    anyway i don't feel that the points system will help solve the 'problems' that immigration creates, all it'll do is disadvantage people who are not from the eu. our economy needs low skilled workers. with the points systems, workers from the eu will be allowed to come but people from asia, africa won't be allowed and soon in the end all the eu countries will be economically similar, so then the low skilled workers we need won't be coming. right now its started loads of Polish people are going back, but who will replace them?
    just because their labour force will be primarily caucasian? come off it...

we already have a plentiful supply of low skilled workers who are unemployed at the moment. when these 'polish people', as an example, leave then domestic jobs will be filled by home citizens.

the disadvantage of people from outside the eu is of no concern to us whatsoever. don't think for a second they would be doing the same for us if our roles were reversed.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why it would be necessary to restrict international marriages to reduce immigration. Why not just reduce it by letting less people immigrate full stop?

ReputationRep:
    Surely stopping giving foreigners British citizenship when they marry British citizens will just result in British citizens emigrating out of the UK, which is completely counter-productive if the aim was to keep a stable/majority 'native' (lol) population?
    (Original post by amjw)
    we already have a plentiful supply of low skilled workers who are unemployed at the moment. when these 'polish people', as an example, leave then domestic jobs will be filled by home citizens.
    A lot of immigrants are doing jobs British citizens simply don't want to do, regardless of whether they're employed or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amjw)
    just because their labour force will be primarily caucasian? come off it...

the disadvantage of people from outside the eu is of no concern to us whatsoever. don't think for a second they would be doing the same for us if our roles were reversed.

actually when countries join the eu their economies grow alot, fast. its cos loads of people start to invest in the countries, thats why they want to join the eu in the first place.

the thing is that home citizens don't want to do those jobs. there are loads of low skilled jobs out there but people don't want to do them. how many English people would want to work as a street cleaner? they would rather live off the dole. and those 'foreign' workers aren't entitled to benefits so they have to work, which is a good thing, they are working and paying taxes to support the lazy home citizens who live of benefits when they could easily work. and my bros one of them, he could work but he doesn't cos he wants an 'office' job.

you're right Britain is too nice. but thats what makes Britain different, we should get tougher though cos loads of people take advantage.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto: and I am saying that as a African who my parents were immigrants.

ReputationRep:
    What makes them foreign? They were born within the boarders of a different state? whoopeeeeeeeedoooooo

I couldn't give a damn where someone is born. Oh no - I want to marry a girl from normandy! call immigration watch fast. Oh wait - I'm from devon and girls from normandy are closer to me then girls from gunchester or yorkshire. Hmm hmm.

I resent your usage of the word foreign as if the boarders of states mean anything. I resent your implication that your petty xenophobia is more important then someone else's love.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

ReputationRep:
    actually when countries join the eu their economies grow alot, fast. its cos loads of people start to invest in the countries, thats why they want to join the eu in the first place.
    certainly not denying that, but i don't see that as an argument for allowing non-eu immigrants who have no better skills into the country.

being economically similar and having a majority-white labour force are not correlated...

the thing is that home citizens don't want to do those jobs. there are loads of low skilled jobs out there but people don't want to do them. how many English people would want to work as a street cleaner? they would rather live off the dole. and those 'foreign' workers aren't entitled to benefits so they have to work, which is a good thing, they are working and paying taxes to support the lazy home citizens who live of benefits when they could easily work. and my bros one of them, he could work but he doesn't cos he wants an 'office' job.
    well for me it's one or the other i'm afraid. it is extremely expensive and inefficient to have both domestic people living on the dole AND migrant workers taking jobs that could go to these people on benefits.

people don't want to be street cleaners because there is not incentive to...perhaps provide an incentive? increase their wages or, better yet, reduce the benefits they receive so that this dependency culture disappears.

you're right Britain is too nice. but thats what makes Britain different, we should get tougher though cos loads of people take advantage.
    it's not a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amjw)
    well for me it's one or the other i'm afraid. it is extremely expensive and inefficient to have both domestic people living on the dole AND migrant workers taking jobs that could go to these people on benefits.

people don't want to be street cleaners because there is not incentive to...perhaps provide an incentive? increase their wages or, better yet, reduce the benefits they receive so that this dependency culture disappears.

it's not a good thing.
    i agree people need to have more incentives to get a job and lowering the amount of benefits people receive is a good idea. but that could seriously affect people who really need the benefits and can't survive properly without them. Britain needs to develop a culture where people think that living off the government is bad, except for those who really need the support.

it is a good idea: the nhs, the benefit system is there to help people and that is always a good thing. if people didn't abuse the system then it'll work.

ReputationRep:
    i agree people need to have more incentives to get a job and lowering the amount of benefits people receive is a good idea. but that could seriously affect people who really need the benefits and can't survive properly without them. Britain needs to develop a culture where people think that living off the government is bad, except for those who really need the support.

it is a good idea: the nhs, the benefit system is there to help people and that is always a good thing. if people didn't abuse the system then it'll work.
    there will ALWAYS be people who abuse the system.

and no i for one do not think that having such a large safety net is a good thing at all. like i said before, when you give handouts there is no incentive to work, to be innovative and most importantly there is no incentive to stand on your own two feet - extreme inefficiency exists where people will never learn to climb out of the hole they are in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amjw)
    there will ALWAYS be people who abuse the system.

and no i for one do not think that having such a large safety net is a good thing at all. like i said before, when you give handouts there is no incentive to work, to be innovative and most importantly there is no incentive to stand on your own two feet - extreme inefficiency exists where people will never learn to climb out of the hole they are in.
    but some people really can't work. e.g. a single mum who has young children can't work cos she has to be there to look after the kids. if you force her to work then the chances are the kids will not be brought up properly and cause more trouble when they're are older cos they weren't brought up properly.

ReputationRep:
    but some people really can't work. e.g. a single mum who has young children can't work cos she has to be there to look after the kids. if you force her to work then the chances are the kids will not be brought up properly and cause more trouble when they're are older cos they weren't brought up properly.
    well then the simple solution would be to not have kids you can't afford!

this argument is going off-course i think...should we just agree to disagree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amjw)
    well then the simple solution would be to not have kids you can't afford!

this argument is going off-course i think...should we just agree to disagree?

yeah

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.