Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caspiantiger)
    Ofcourse it should be legal.

That way they can tax the women who do this sort of thing, so they can put back into the system.

They can regulate this industry to make sure the women are STD free.

They can protect men from legal harrasment and embarrasment for just enjoying what they're made to do.

I think the idea that prostitution is illegal is a very backwards way of thinking. I think that men should get the chance to enjoy women without persecution in a clean and STD free environment.

I reject the notion women are forced into it, they could easily survive without entering this business after all many men survive in low paid jobs and with little job prospects. These women choose to do it because its easy money. £50+ for 20 minutes work, many women can't resist easy money.
    Ah, Caspiantiger, how I have missed you. Just as many women can't resist 'easy' money, many men can't resist easy sex (although I would dispute the idea that sex with men like you is easy money). Use a condom if you don't want to get an STD.

(Original post by Prudy)
    1) It is legal
    2) It should be more freely available and regulated. Thus helpinbg to remove the drugs and crime element from prostitution
    I agree. I feel the time has come to accept it as part of life and in doing so resulting in a safer environment for those who par-take in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishtar)
    Ah, Caspiantiger, how I have missed you. Just as many women can't resist 'easy' money, many men can't resist easy sex (although I would dispute the idea that sex with men like you is easy money). Use a condom if you don't want to get an STD.
    Its not easy money to have sex with me, i'd make them work for it....

Condoms split...

ReputationRep:
    Its not easy money to have sex with me, i'd make them work for it....
    And you are probably not unusual. So it's not easy money and it's likely that a lot of the women who are doing it have been 'forced' into by circumstance.

Condoms split...
    Quite. Solution - don't sleep with prostitutes.

ReputationRep:
    Ishtar having sex for 20 minutes for 50 quid is a lot easier than working 8 hours in tesco's for 50 quid. Then ofcourse these women could have like 6 -8 customers in a day. So it is a very high paid job for uneducated girls with no training and lose morals.

Whether men like easy sex; ofcourse they do men are programmed to be this way. Prostitution laws right now are discriminatory against men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrgd291190)
    Yes. I want to use them.

But seriously, I reckon it's the best way to keep the prostitutes themselves safe, healthy, wealthy and wise.
    Why should prostitutes be wealthy? All those benefits, seem to me, as promotion of prostitution. Is that really what we want for society? I don't believe in, prostitution is the only thing someone can do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ma2k5)
    Why should prostitutes be wealthy? All those benefits, seem to me, as promotion of prostitution. Is that really what we want for society? I don't believe in, prostitution is the only thing someone can do.
    I'm quite clearly just paraphrasing the idiom here :rolleyes: I don't think it's a "wise" career choice for example.

Only thing someone can do? Maybe not. Best thing? Tragically, all too often. The "benefits" of being safe and healthy, to my mind, are not benefits but basic rights that all people should have, regardless of career, especially if they're most often the victim in any given situation, even the victim of society itself. A miner 'choses' a career path (if there are even any other career options available) that may but their life at risk - does that prohibit us from working to ensure better working conditions? A Firefighter choses a career path that may put their life at risk - does that prohibit us from ensuring them a fair salary, to reflect the immensely difficult work they do? An extreme example I'll acknowledge but fairly apt.

I don't believe in 'promoting' prostitution, I merely believe it is incredibly naive to ever consider that one could stop it. It is, after all, the "World's Oldest Profession". While it will continue to exist, I will continue to believe that it is our duty to protect them rather then leave them to the cruelty of others. Society will not suffer from prostitutes whims - it suffers from the spread of Pimps, drugs, STDs, AIDS and other social harms that have become associated with it.

ReputationRep:
    I merely believe it is incredibly naive to ever consider that one could stop it
    Can't stop it, so promote it?

Sounds like those dodgy ideas of, regulating illegal drug use, instead of total ban because they can't stop it.

ReputationRep:
    Can't stop it, so defend the one's in the greatest danger and who do the least harm. As I was saying in the rest of my post.

*slow clap* And you've picked out another 'dodgy' idea I actually support, though less so but that's getting OT. Prostitution is, as I have said, not the main social ill - a legalized, accepted, institutionalized version would rid society of most of the true ills associated with prostitution, to my mind.

Can you suggest a logical, feasible way to stop prostitution?

ReputationRep:
    I'll tell you, legalising prostitution definatly isn't a way to stop it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not suggesting we stop it. I'm suggesting that we legalize it (well, as has already been pointed out, it is actually legal) and take prostitutes off the streets, put them into Government run brothels in order to protect them from pimps/abusive clients/serial killers, get them better wages than the meagre living they often recieve from their pimps, keep them (and thus their clients) safe from STDs/AIDS.

When did I ever say I was hoping to stop it? :confused:

(Original post by ma2k5)
    I'll tell you, legalising prostitution definatly isn't a way to stop it.
    we are not here to stop it.
    It would be ludicrous to try. If its going to happen, its going to happen. Might as well put in measures to keep health and safety to a good level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Hysteria)
    It would be ludicrous to try. If its going to happen, its going to happen. Might as well put in measures to keep health and safety to a good level.
    Your coolness is increasing in my ratings Hysteria

ReputationRep:
    What those measures just do, is make prostitution more attractive, hence promoting it. Thats not how you fix problems. Making it legal, without a doubt will make it more attractive so lets not play dumb about the negative effects of trying to help those in trouble, the negatives most likely will be worse.

ReputationRep:
    yes

debate won

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ma2k5)
    What those measures just do, is make prostitution more attractive, hence promoting it. Thats not how you fix problems. Making it legal, without a doubt will make it more attractive so lets not play dumb about the negative effects of trying to help those in trouble, the negatives most likely will be worse.
    I tend to think of it as incredibly disparaging to think that most prostitutes are "attracted" to the career. Usually, it's purely a matter of survival.
    It still will take years, decades even, to remove the immense stigma associated with being a prostitute - tragically, very few people can feel at all proud of this.
    What negatives will come of institutionalising it? Please, enlighten me.

(Original post by ma2k5)
    What those measures just do, is make prostitution more attractive, hence promoting it.
    Clearly your ability to deduce is flawed, as I have at no time ever made a comment that promotes it.

(Original post by ma2k5)
    Thats not how you fix problems. Making it legal, without a doubt will make it more attractive so lets not play dumb about the negative effects of trying to help those in trouble, the negatives most likely will be worse.
    OK, let’s be realistic as opposed to some fiction world you live in. People will see prostitutes regardless of the law, therefore the law serves no purpose. The only beneficial thing to do is to make the lives of those involved a little safer.

Most who become prostitutes don’t do it by choice, they enter into a world where no-one can help them, not even the law. Tell me where is the justice there?

ReputationRep:
    Clearly your ability to deduce is flawed, as I have at no time ever made a comment that promotes it.

OK, let’s be realistic as opposed to some fiction world you live in. People will see prostitutes regardless of the law, therefore the law serves no purpose. The only beneficial thing to do is to make the lives of those involved a little safer.

Most who become prostitutes don’t do it by choice, they enter into a world where no-one can help them, not even the law. Tell me where is the justice there?
    Law serves no purpose? I can see you are the one in the fictional life. Im sure, if we legalised drugs fully, people will be equally put off doing it as if it was illegal right? Since it makes no difference?

This arguement is so flawed, just because prostitues will exist whether it is illegal or not does not mean it has no effect.

Could you imagine, the sickness if it was legalised. Groups of individuals, grooming people into prostitution so they can reap benefits. Sure, this happens now, but with this, it would be legal.

(Original post by Mrgd291190)
    I tend to think of it as incredibly disparaging to think that most prostitutes are "attracted" to the career. Usually, it's purely a matter of survival.
    It still will take years, decades even, to remove the immense stigma associated with being a prostitute - tragically, very few people can feel at all proud of this.
    What negatives will come of institutionalising it? Please, enlighten me.
    I think he needs to step into the real world.

(Original post by ma2k5)
    Law serves no purpose?
    I do Anglo/French Law monsieur, but lets take this one step at a time.

1 What is the current position of the law regarding prostitution ?

2 Has it succeed in achieving its goal?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.