Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone Still Buy Cd's? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A is for Awesome)
    I don't download anything, all my music is in CD form.

Also:

Repped for badass sig.
    Why thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    What do you use to download?
    Hypothetically, if one did choose to download (which one wouldn't because it'd be violating copyright law :eek:), one would use a program with the name of a citrus fruit that could send the file down the wire to one's PC.

Spoiler:
    Show
    ...Limewire...:ninja:

Everyone here's actually talking about legal means whereby you do pay the 69p or whatever, e.g. through Tesco...

...right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muppety_Kid)
    Hypothetically, if one did choose to download (which one wouldn't because it'd be violating copyright law :eek:), one would use a program with the name of a citrus fruit that could send the file down the wire to one's PC.

Spoiler:
    Show
    ...Limewire...:ninja:

Everyone here's actually talking about legal means whereby you do pay the 69p or whatever, e.g. through Tesco...

...right?
    The protocols and software used are not illegal, and there are perfectly legitimate uses of P2P software, including but not limited to actual free music, so as long as you keep it general i think it's acceptable to talk about them.

I recommend Bittorrent, and strongly do not recommend limewire. Search bittorrent in google to find out more about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musically_minded)
    The protocols and software used are not illegal, and there are perfectly legitimate uses of P2P software, including but not limited to actual free music, so as long as you keep it general i think it's acceptable to talk about them.

I recommend Bittorrent, and strongly do not recommend limewire. Search bittorrent in google to find out more about it.
    Out of interest, why not Limewire? I'll have a look at Bittorrent though.

As you say, having the software isn't illegal, it's what you do with it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muppety_Kid)
    Out of interest, why not Limewire? I'll have a look at Bittorrent though.

As you say, having the software isn't illegal, it's what you do with it...
    I've had bad experiences with it, and anything on the gnutella network. Content which is not what the description says it is, for example audio files which are just white noise, viruses etc, with no real way to get the fake content removed. The decentralised nature of the protocol means that when you search, the results can be different every time, depending on which nodes are active when you search (when you search, you query nodes you 'know', who query nodes they 'know', for the keyword you enter).

Bit torrent requires you find a torrent file (many sites list torrent files), which then connects you to the swarm (a group of people who are sharing the content). Find a good website (or any good source of torrent files), and the bad files will be much less common (you still need some common sense though).

Saying that, it now says on the website that limewire supports bit torrent as well as gnutella, but I'd rather just use a Bit torrent client instead of a hybrid. Another good thing about Bit torrent is that a torrent can contain a large number of files, without the need for compressing to one file, and you can pick and choose individual files from within it. Limewire used to be a buggy piece of software, and probably still is. Admittedly i haven't used it for awhile now, but i would never go back

ReputationRep:
    Limewire is like the gateway for evil virus & trojans.

Even the one you have to 'pay for' (even though you can download the free one, and then download the pay one from the free one... :rofl: )

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.