Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I've failed but so far one of my exams was dreadful, anyone whose done edexcel philosophy of religion will probably understand why :mad:

It annoys me as all my teachers have predicted me to get A's, its sooooo much pressure, i got 258/300 last year in RS but to get an A overall this year i would need to average a high B or Low A in each and cos of the exam that i ****** up in there is no way that gonna happen now, i hope a C at least a D

And my other 2 i got B's in last year but to get an A i have to ace all my exams and no offence, but getting 3 A's in each french exam for edexcel is hard enough and business and economics is subjective

Just unhapppy when people say they did badly but think they got a B a B is great but when you are told by teachers to get A's you kinda feel bad

Oh well my uni only wants BBC so if everything else goes wrong i'm fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberry)
    that's the Asian Scale of Grading. xD

lol what does that mean?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shriya)
    You know how mot Asian people think that B is a fail like me for example

but seriously I think I am going to get B's or C's ... I want to apply to
    UCL (AAA)
    KCL (AAB)
    Edinburgh (ABB)

And thats the 3 I definitley I am applying to the rest I will decide soon
    but does my grades in June mean I won't get an offer from any of these uni's

I know for definite I am getting an A in maths
    i do 5 subjects but I get my further maths As level in Jan next year because u have to do C4 to do FP1 thus you can't do it in your first year

so I am looking at 1A and then 3 other grades that I can't predict

would i be able to apply and get offers....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Last Summer's Dream)
    A B is a fail to me though. If I get any bs then I don't go to uni.. Seeing as I'm only taking a levels to get into uni, if I miss my offer I fail. Which makes getting a B a fail. I will be so pissed off on results day if I don't get AAA and one of my friends says to me 'but AAB isn't a fail, that is still really good'.
    Why have you put yourself in this situation then? Are both your offers AAA? Why didn't you put a lower offer for your insurance? It's not like you're doing medicine/law where nearly all the good unis want straight As. Is English Lit as punishingly competetive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsStudent)
    You know how mot Asian people think that B is a fail like me for example

but seriously I think I am going to get B's or C's ... I want to apply to
    UCL (AAA)
    KCL (AAB)
    Edinburgh (ABB)

And thats the 3 I definitley I am applying to the rest I will decide soon
    but does my grades in June mean I won't get an offer from any of these uni's

I know for definite I am getting an A in maths
    i do 5 subjects but I get my further maths As level in Jan next year because u have to do C4 to do FP1 thus you can't do it in your first year

so I am looking at 1A and then 3 other grades that I can't predict

would i be able to apply and get offers....
    you know you can always resit and give your results as undeclared what course are you planning on doing?

ReputationRep:
    Yep failed Unit 1 economics!

ReputationRep:
    you know you can always resit and give your results as undeclared what course are you planning on doing?
    maths
    and wouldn't that be held againist resulting in no offers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theunknown)
    same, i was hoping to get an A but that is never going to happen considering how badly i did
    badly in Economics? which paper?...I'm sure you've done better than you think!

ReputationRep:
    maths

i dont think so as long as your predicted grades are good and anyways you have an A in maths and you are doing further maths,see i am in a bigger mess i wanted to apply for medicine and now i dont think it's going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think so as long as your predicted grades are good and anyways you have an A in maths and you are doing further maths,see i am in a bigger mess i wanted to apply for medicine and now i dont think it's going to happen.
    you can go to ermm queen mary's can't you

or i was thinking this applys to me too but why not take a gap year for you you can do fantastic things such as

Gap year abroad teaching
    a bit of travelling
    Duke of edinburgh
    work experience internationally
    working as a recpetionist in a hospital
    it gives you an insight into life as a medic and they will love you because not many people would have the gap year abroad and everything that you can easily collect within a year

ReputationRep:
    maths
    you cant! Not from this year onwards. You WILL be certificated for it, cannot decline it, and hence must declare the results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahulsood)
    you cant! Not from this year onwards. You WILL be certificated for it, cannot decline it, and hence must declare the results.
    oh i didnt know about that..

ReputationRep:
    yeah every time you take a retake ANY unit from this year, you'll be re-certificated. So every exam counts, and declining results are a thing of the past.

ReputationRep:
    yeah every time you take a retake ANY unit from this year, you'll be re-certificated. So every exam counts, and declining results are a thing of the past.
    You cant decline grades anymore? So what if you fail some of your exams at a2 and want to re-take some modules do you have to re-take the whole subject?

I'm confused :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not being racist - I'm Asian myself.

But it's just a stereotype that Asians set high standards for themselves and anything below a B is fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberry)
    I'm not being racist - I'm Asian myself.

But it's just a stereotype that Asians set high standards for themselves and anything below a B is fail.
    lol i agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gourdman)
    Why have you put yourself in this situation then? Are both your offers AAA? Why didn't you put a lower offer for your insurance? It's not like you're doing medicine/law where nearly all the good unis want straight As. Is English Lit as punishingly competetive?
    My only offers were AAA and I had one AAB offer. The AAB offer is my insurance, but i'm not prepared to go there and won't. Yes, nearly all of the good universities want AAA for English lit. I'm not going to pretend that english lit is more competitive than medicine or law. Although, I really don't believe law can be that much more competitive at the top universities.

Also, don't a lot of the top medical schools give AAB offers? So whilst medicine is obviously much harder to get into in the first place, meeting the offer isn't any more difficult. Needing AAA means the same no matter which subject you're going for. In fact, I would argue that meeting an AAA offer when taking subjects like english lit and history, where the marking can be terribly subjective, is actually harder than meeting an AAA offer with science subjects and maths.

Ohh and why have I put myself in this situation? Because, considering I'm taking such a drop out subject, there is no way I'm going to a university out of the top 20.

ReputationRep:
    badly in Economics? which paper?...I'm sure you've done better than you think!
    i hope so too, i do ocr economics and all 3 units went badly except for unit 3 which im hoping to bring my grade up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gourdman)
    english lit is extremely competitive, on the same level as medicine in fact. i got 287/300 at AS, distinction in the AEA which i sat a year early, and ended up with 2 offers out of the 5 unis i applied to - one AAA, one AAB + welsh baccalaureate (woth 120 UCAS points). the lowest offer i would have got out of the 5 would have been AAB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Last Summer's Dream)
    A B is a fail to me though. If I get any bs then I don't go to uni.. Seeing as I'm only taking a levels to get into uni, if I miss my offer I fail. Which makes getting a B a fail. I will be so pissed off on results day if I don't get AAA and one of my friends says to me 'but AAB isn't a fail, that is still really good'.
    Well said.

In my opinion, if you don't get what you want or need then you have failed. So, for many people AAB could be a fail.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.