Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    yeah, well dont worry, ul be fine. come 2 liverpool lol! haha. i got a DDM but i also did keyskills coursework as well thats apparently 10 UCAS points? so i could end with DDD not too sure yet though..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElectricOceans)
    I may get rejected from some universities but I’m prepared for that, I will be applying for a number of universities and researching into what my options are at certain unis and apply for the ones which are best suited to what I want to do. I don’t like the way people judge people who take BTEC National Diplomas and just assume that it’s all for the easy way out when really many of the students taking them are just looking to further their education in that specific area. Its a lot of work especially in terms of coursework to achieve distinction you need to put a lot of effort into the coursework, I’m aiming to get DDD on my course. Well done, I’m sure your going to do really well at uni. Thanks.
    well i can only wish you the best
    I honestly didn't think my btec was hard, i just found it long and annoying.
    but i guess it's different to others

BTEC (DDD or DDM) + A-level English lit + History
    Both essay based subjects, and i think you could stand a good chance at your first choice of uni.

Hope i helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roisin2008)
    yeah, well dont worry, ul be fine. come 2 liverpool lol! haha. i got a DDM but i also did keyskills coursework as well thats apparently 10 UCAS points? so i could end with DDD not too sure yet though..
    although keyskills is worth 10 ucas points, most unis do not accept it..

same with critital thinking and general studies.
    Most uni's don't care about them

ReputationRep:
    They say Btec can be worth the same as AAA at alevel but ersonaly i think this is rubish!
    The difficulty of Alevels are far greather than a Btec and they prepare you for uni life alot more as your already used to exams, pressure, coping with the difficulty etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roisin2008)
    it defo aint an easy route its alot of pressure and stress, at one point i had to stay off for about 3 weeks because i wasnt well it was just getting too much because it is alot of coursework to be doing, but then i jus pulled myself through it. you will be accepted, if u have the amount of UCAS points they want then your ok. dont listen 2 all the slabbers! wouldnt worry about it
    It annoys me that people seem to just assume that because your doing a BTEC National Diploma you have no chance of getting anywhere you want and they seem to think that the course is easier than A Levels which is probably untrue judging by the amount of coursework you get for each unit especially if you want distinctions in as many units as possible. I'm really looking forward to the course but its just irritating when people underestimate your choices. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carlo08)
    They say Btec can be worth the same as AAA at alevel but ersonaly i think this is rubish!
    The difficulty of Alevels are far greather than a Btec and they prepare you for uni life alot more as your already used to exams, pressure, coping with the difficulty etc...
    Btec is not easier, i speak from experience, its just different.
    Tbh i found a-levels harder purely for the fact that it has complicated subjects such as chemistry and so forth.

A whole 2 years of continuous coursework is pretty hard, and loong!
    i prefer exams easy and quick just revise, hence the fact i changed to a levels after my first year of btec.

And yes they do prepare you for uni, but they are not more difficult just very different. OFcourse if you compare BTEC in IT to Biology it could be easier...but in general there the same.

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt worry about them hun, they dont understand. just let them go right over your head. **** them all !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ukazi-TazZy)
    well i can only wish you the best
    I honestly didn't think my btec was hard, i just found it long and annoying.
    but i guess it's different to others

BTEC (DDD or DDM) + A-level English lit + History
    Both essay based subjects, and i think you could stand a good chance at your first choice of uni.

Hope i helped
    I'm not sure whether its going to be possible to take two a levels alognside the BTEC Nationa Diploma I think most colleges encourage you to do just the one because the work load will be the same as doing 4 A Levels because each unit of the BTEC which is 18 units has about 11 pieces of coursework to complete and you need to meet each criteria to get distinctions. I want to do English lit, unsure about history though. :confused:

Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    although keyskills is worth 10 ucas points, most unis do not accept it..

same with critital thinking and general studies.
    Most uni's don't care about them

well then im settled on a DDM, i dont really give a ****** anyway because im into my course so i dont really care about the keyskills ne ways

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be good to do at least one A Level then it prepares me better for the exam side of uni, but I'm not to keen on the idea of doing a BTEC which is 3 A Levels and two other A Levels I think it would all become to much and dont reckon college would allow it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure whether its going to be possible to take two a levels alognside the BTEC Nationa Diploma I think most colleges encourage you to do just the one because the work load will be the same as doing 4 A Levels because each unit of the BTEC which is 18 units has about 11 pieces of coursework to complete and you need to meet each criteria to get distinctions. I want to do English lit, unsure about history though. :confused:

Thanks for your help.
    I persoanlly found that for btec i could right a load of decent crap and get the criteria, and i was one of the few in my class that could actually wite gramtically correct.
    So i think it is possible to do 2 a-levels aswell as your btec.
    Meeting the criteria for p1 p2 etc. is easy the hard part is the ammount of criterias for each unit.
    But like i said it's easily do able!

History will help a hell of a lot on par with english lit.
    there both essay based so i doubt you will have a problem with them

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be good to do at least one A Level then it prepares me better for the exam side of uni, but I'm not to keen on the idea of doing a BTEC which is 3 A Levels and two other A Levels I think it would all become to much and dont reckon college would allow it.
    Dude btec is not that hard, infact i would say its more on the easy side, the hard part is the ammount of work.
    Think of btec as 1.5 a levels for the first year, and 1.5 the second year.

you'll be doing 3.5 As levels
    3.5 A2

its perfectly do able and i would recommend it!
    Don't think btec is gonna be too hard for you, if your prepared to write loads of crap you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    it wasnt easy for me at all, the lectures did the classes handed out notes! i was like arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... and all this talk about plagarism every single day did my head in, but least its all good, il know what 2 do in uni n **** when it comes 2 coursework

ReputationRep:
    I persoanlly found that for btec i could right a load of decent crap and get the criteria, and i was one of the few in my class that could actually wite gramtically correct.
    So i think it is possible to do 2 a-levels aswell as your btec.
    Meeting the criteria for p1 p2 etc. is easy the hard part is the ammount of criterias for each unit.
    But like i said it's easily do able!

History will help a hell of a lot on par with english lit.
    there both essay based so i doubt you will have a problem with them
    I think I will be able to do alright on the coursework side of the BTEC as I'm quite good at writing but the course is going to be mostly assessed on coursework so I think I will do well hopefully. I dont really want to do History because I do it at GCSE and I'm only predicted a C so I'd rather do English Lit and maybe Sociology?

But I need to talk to the college first and see if they allow it, I doubt they will allow me to do two a levels, I usually hear of people doing one alongside it.

ReputationRep:
    I think I will be able to do alright on the coursework side of the BTEC as I'm quite good at writing but the course is going to be mostly assessed on coursework so I think I will do well hopefully. I dont really want to do History because I do it at GCSE and I'm only predicted a C so I'd rather do English Lit and maybe Sociology?

But I need to talk to the college first and see if they allow it, I doubt they will allow me to do two a levels, I usually hear of people doing one alongside it.
    not sociology lool, thats a weak subject.
    actually you might be okay with just doing english!
    have you tried calling up any uni's about the matter?

ReputationRep:
    DONT DO sociology! lol......... its awful lol i hated it !

ReputationRep:

I think someone said you write loads of 'crap' and get the criteria. I think that is just for evaluations (Distinction Criteria), merits and pass need you to understand what is going on D1 and D2 for example need you to explain it in more depth. Its like A-Level I suppose.

From what I've read I would say your so certain about a BTEC I would suggest you learn more about the two, if you already have then if you want to do Journalism in a goodish university read their entrance requirements on what they ask for in A-Levels as an addition to BTEC. They will most likely ask for some.

I would actually advise you doing A-Levels but I don't think everyone wants to study it. I mean if you count the units 1 A-Level= 6 Units and Diploma= 18 then you'd be doing around 24, which if you're intelligent and motivated should be fine over two years.

But this is the phrase you might hear from BTEC students "I did BTEC and totally regretted it, I wish I had done A-Levels", similarly this is what I think.

ReputationRep:
    I don't totally regret doing a BTEC, but I think I'd have found A-levels more interesting and challenging, as well as being able to apply for some more prestigious unis. Overall I found my BTEC rather easy/basic. But oh well, I got offers from some very good universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exopaladin)
    I don't totally regret doing a BTEC, but I think I'd have found A-levels more interesting and challenging, as well as being able to apply for some more prestigious unis. Overall I found my BTEC rather easy/basic. But oh well, I got offers from some very good universities.
    Looks like you got good GCSE results too, as you wouldn't of probably got into KCL with just a BTEC to show for yourself, especially the MSci. Similar caliber universities usually want good GCSE grades to determine your BTEC grades are good enough. I'm sure your predicted grade is probably DDM/DDD too.

I suppose if you did an A Level or (two) alongside a National Diploma and got amazing marks and your GCSE's were good you might get to amazing universities.

ReputationRep:
    Well i did 1st year of a BTEC in science and then changed onto Alevels which include the same subject areas Bio Chem and i changed physics for Pe and Alevels are much harder!

Also a friend of mine failed his As Levels and so switched onto a BTEC in Sport and Pe which he says is much easier than the Alevel pe he failed.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Features

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.