Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by |>|Imagine|<|)
    Ive got the perfect answer -

Because they want to.

(I assume, But im not a smoker so...)
    maybe because they are addicted?! wow Imagine ur posts are all aggressive and mostly make little sense!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-o dore)
    maybe because they are addicted?! wow Imagine ur posts are all aggressive and mostly make little sense!
    What is your obsession with me "hun"? Have I collected a stalker?

Love you too
    ******* :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I don't expect anyone to admit to this, but I think many smokers start smoking to look big. Perhaps for a young person with low self esteem, smoking might give them confidence because it makes them look older (generally older people smoke), so they have a better chance of being respected / taken seriously, which could increase their confidence.

ReputationRep:
    I don't regularly but I started because I was curious about what it was like.

ReputationRep:
    When I was born 'cos it's cool.

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear, I am SO sick of religious debates everywhere I go, my friends argue about it, people on here argue about it, people bring it into every discussion and its stupid. I know religion is a big part of culture in the UK, and the world for that matter, but lets not argue about it guys, if people want to believe that thens lovely and they get comfort from it, if however, they don't believe than thats nice too, whatever makes you happy. We should all respect each others opinions.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ChloeEmma)
    We should all respect each others opinions.
    Not when it makes a difference

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-o dore)
    Not when it makes a difference
    How do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xBillyBrownx)
    Please try to have a little respect
    Why should he respect religion?

I don't respect right-wingers on here and I don't expect them to respect my views which are libertarian-Marxist.

Why is religion any different?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bakunin)
    Why should he respect religion?

I don't respect right-wingers on here and I don't expect them to respect my views which are libertarian-Marxist.

Why is religion any different?
    Because I think people should respect each others' views.

ReputationRep:
    I believe that notion opposes free debate.

Disrespect of views encourages people to talk frankly and in a broadly proletarian manner which is more interesting than poncey academic stand-offishness.

As such it is more open, more accessible and the end result is greater participation which is positive for democracy as a whole.

ReputationRep:
    Started smoking at 16-17, and mainly because my mum was/is this busy career woman and always rushing around between her job and then when she would come home household 'stuff', and the only time I got to spend with her would be when she would step out for a smoke :s

ReputationRep:
    Another thread on smoking? Why?

Is started smoking when I was 14, because I wanted to rebel and do something at lunch.
    I have no intentions of giving up at this present moment and I know what I'm doing to myself.

As for your "they want to make themselves addicted and get cancer", I know my chances are greatly increased of getting cancer and another smoking related illness but these factors aren't really at the forefront of my mind at the present moment, nor were they when I was 14.

I'm really sick of these smoking threads to be honest, I think everyone has personal and maybe typical reasons FOR starting to smoke but all it ends up in is the smokers admitting they smoke, reasons why and non-smokers taking the, "don't you know you could get X,Y,Z, you smell, addiction etc" approach.

ReputationRep:
    when i was 11 i hung round with "big kids" that started me off

but i stopped until i was 15 then started again cos i felt like 11 years later im still puffing and still enjoying
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ChloeEmma)
    How do you mean?
    basically what you described was moral relativism and I dont think that its very good in resolving conflicts - sometimes a decision affecting others has to be made and how can we do that if all we do is 'respect each others opinions'.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.