Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secretmessages)
    If you know the blood type of both your parents then you can "guess" yours here, but I'd definitely recommend going to give blood

Not true. As i said before both my parents have A+ and i'm A-. Would quite like to find out what my sis is but she's too much of a priss
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Ellsbells3032)
    Not true. As i said before both my parents have A+ and i'm A-. Would quite like to find out what my sis is but she's too much of a priss
    Hmm? What's not true. Have you looked at the link? If both your parents are A+, then the link will tell you that you could be either A or O (which is true)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polka_dott)
    A Neighbours episode last year showed someone dying from giving a bone marrow donation, which surely hardly ever happens? (that would be v. bad publicity for a good thing that people do!)
    Is that when Stingray died?

ReputationRep:
    If I donate blood and I've consumed cannabis within 24 hours of donation, will the donee become stoned?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -steph-)
    I tried to find mine out by genetics but my parents didnt make it easy one being AB negative and the other O positive so I could have been A or B. I got really ill one night and I found out that I am B negative just like my sis. So in case anything happened my mom could give me blood and so could my sis.
    No, only your sister could - if you are B-ve then you can only receive blood from B-ve or O-ve people

ReputationRep:
    Just checked the NHS website, and they say they've got a drive today on at a hotel near me

Is this usual? I may call up, just to double check.

EDIT: Yup, just double checked, it's at a hotel. I didn't expect that lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    American?
    Nope, an Irishman!

ReputationRep:
    Donated the blood today

Picked up a leaflet on bone marrow as well. The giving of blood went fine, literally an in and out procedure, minus the ****e waiting time :argh: Can't wait to get my card with the blood type on it though, wheyy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DenkMit)
    Nope, an Irishman!
    I didn't know they had anaesthesiologists out there, I thought they were closer to the British system

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    I didn't know they had anaesthesiologists out there, I thought they were closer to the British system
    What way do you mean? I'm in Northern Ireland - basically, what happened was that doctors and nurses weren't having luck, so pre-op an anaesthesiologist came along, made 13 attempts so get in the catheter, failed miserably, ended calling his boss, and I ended up with my IV in my foot...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DenkMit)
    What way do you mean? I'm in Northern Ireland - basically, what happened was that doctors and nurses weren't having luck, so pre-op an anaesthesiologist came along, made 13 attempts so get in the catheter, failed miserably, ended calling his boss, and I ended up with my IV in my foot...
    all he meant was that in Britain they're known as anaesthatists rather than anaesthesiologists which is the American's name for them

ReputationRep:
    Just got my donor card! I'm O Negative!

Apparently it's "invaluable" and it can be given to anyone in emergencies!

I feel special! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loadmalz)

cool! I got my donor card today too- I'm A+

ReputationRep:
    I am A rhesus positive, which I think is quite common! I suppose that's good as if I ever need blood then there shouldn't be a shortage of my type, but then again it would be nice to have a rarer one so you'd feel like you were helping people that might otherwise have difficulty getting the blood they need.
    (Original post by loadmalz)

Wow that's really cool you can help anyone, you have good reason to feel special!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dill)
    I am A rhesus positive, which I think is quite common! I suppose that's good as if I ever need blood then there shouldn't be a shortage of my type, but then again it would be nice to have a rarer one so you'd feel like you were helping people that might otherwise have difficulty getting the blood they need.
    It all works out in the end - lots of people need O+, there are lots of O+ donors, few people need AB-, there are few AB- donors. O- is the only one where demand routinely stretches supply because it's need for the O- population and as flying squad blood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)

Once you give blood, they will contact you a little while later sending you an official 'donor' card, which has your blood type printed on it.

Its a great way to find out, because you get the info you want and help someone else out at the same time.
    I went to give blood and they told me I'd receive my donor card in a few weeks' time... what I got instead however was a grovelling letter explaining that they were very sorry but they'd lost my blood and I would have to wait until my next visit to find out my blood type and receive my donor card. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    hmm im not allowed to join the bone marrow register i dont weigh enough
    im technically not supposed to give blood either but i still do lol
    im AB+ like my dad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_georgina_x)
    im technically not supposed to give blood either but i still do lol
    Errr, lol...

:s:

ReputationRep:
    lol its nothing bad im just a little bit under the weight limit so it doesnt affect anyone else

ReputationRep:
    Giving blood is also very healthy, I would recommend it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 26, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.