Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Derek_the_Sheep)
    That is not the point. Teaching at UK universities is "dual funded" - the universities are funded partly directly by the govement (from taxation) and partly from fee income. Overseas students (or rather their families) have not paid UK taxes, so have not contributed to the first funding stream. That's why their fees are higher.

DtS
    ok i get it now i am not as mad now as i was when i wrote that post but frankly my dad has been working at the NHS for the past four years and he is paying the taxes but still i am being counted as an international student simply because I havent lived here for three years sob sob missed out by a year i could always take a gap year and become a home student but then again i dont want to take the risk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shriya)
    then again i dont want to take the risk.
    What "risk" ? (Oh, and you might have a go at using those funny keys marked ".", "," and "shift". Using them can make posts a bit easier to read...)

DtS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Derek_the_Sheep)
    What "risk" ? (Oh, and you might have a go at using those funny keys marked ".", "," and "shift". Using them can make posts a bit easier to read...)

DtS
    just the "risk" of, not getting in after a gap year and anyways, i dont think i will, make a very good use of my gap year so what's the point?

lol, i tried using those "funny keys" like you said, hope you can read my post now.

ReputationRep:
    Ask you college to let you defer for a year and save yourself £50K. Seriously, you'd be ******ed to not at least ask!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.prisons.gov.sg/scholarships.html
    http://ele.ecitizen.gov.sg/Education/Scholarships/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomasjtl)
    Ask you college to let you defer for a year and save yourself £50K. Seriously, you'd be ******ed to not at least ask!

who is this post aimed at?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why so many are complaining about not receiving a discounted UK rate if they've not paid for it through taxation. The British government already grants access to NHS for us foreigners; it is a bit too mcuh to expect every service, especially education to be provided. We've put nothing in, so how can we take something out?

Agreed, I think it is a bit harsh on the guy/girl who is british and wants to come back however. --Buy a cheap house in bulgaria claim it as your residence and sell it again when you graduate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScholarsInk)
    I don't know why so many are complaining about not receiving a discounted UK rate if they've not paid for it through taxation. The British government already grants access to NHS for us foreigners; it is a bit too mcuh to expect every service, especially education to be provided. We've put nothing in, so how can we take something out?

looks like you can afford it:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    looks like you can afford it:rolleyes:
    That's a bit of an unfair use of :rolleyes:

Obviously it sucks to be in that position, but that poster isn't stating anything particularly unfair or biased from a 'haha, i can afford to go to oxford' view or whatever. Foreigners have to be able to afford it, or find someone who can to fund them, because university costs a lot. As this thread shows, people often can't afford that kind of money - hence the funding from taxes. It's a basic right in this country to have your education HERE funded, but we'd be in the exact same position as international students if we decided to go abroad, because it's not a right to have your education in another country to which you do not contribute tax funded.

Trust me, I wasn't jumping for joy when I saw how much going to McGill would have cost me, but I get why they had to get that much from me/a scholarship fund.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mayfly)
    That's a bit of an unfair use of :rolleyes:

Obviously it sucks to be in that position, but that poster isn't stating anything particularly unfair or biased from a 'haha, i can afford to go to oxford' view or whatever. Foreigners have to be able to afford it, or find someone who can to fund them, because university costs a lot. As this thread shows, people often can't afford that kind of money - hence the funding from taxes. It's a basic right in this country to have your education HERE funded, but we'd be in the exact same position as international students if we decided to go abroad, because it's not a right to have your education in another country to which you do not contribute tax funded.

Trust me, I wasn't jumping for joy when I saw how much going to McGill would have cost me, but I get why they had to get that much from me/a scholarship fund.

Does Harvard offer financial aid?
    Yes. About 70% of Harvard students receive some form of financial aid-grants, loans and/or part-time work. Our policy of need-based financial aid is designed to meet 100% of a family's demonstrated need. Recent enhancements have made our aid program even more generous by reducing significantly the amounts that students are expected to work or borrow during the academic year, thereby allowing all students to participate fully in the extracurricular life of the College and to minimize their student indebtedness. Our financial aid policies apply equally to international students and to U.S. citizens.

Link:
    http://www.admissions.college.harvar...ial/index.html

and i wonder why more and more international students are heading to America:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Well, thanks to the discounted tuition and such, schools in the UK don't have the resources to offer those sorts of financial aid programs. Think about it - for example, Cambridge has 1/10 the endowment of Harvard.

I'm afraid that, if this sort of market regulation persists, UK education will deteriorate as continental education has.

Your comments are fairly baseless, as you're running off of imperfect models of comparison.

ReputationRep:
    Well, thanks to the discounted tuition and such, schools in the UK don't have the resources to offer those sorts of financial aid programs. Think about it - for example, Cambridge has 1/10 the endowment of Harvard.

I'm afraid that, if this sort of market regulation persists, UK education will deteriorate as continental education has.

Your comments are fairly baseless, as you're running off of imperfect models of comparison.

maybe i am "running off of imperfect models of comparison"but as a student in this position Harvard looks more appealing and friendly then let's say any UK university and my arguments are not baseless.i dont care about endowments i am just saying that USA opens its arms wider than UK no offence.

ReputationRep:
    maybe i am "running off of imperfect models of comparison"but as a student in this position Harvard looks more appealing and friendly then let's say any UK university and my arguments are not baseless.i dont care about endowments i am just saying that USA opens its arms wider than UK no offence.
    If one's arms are shorter, he cannot open them wider than the other can.

If the UK had not instituted this guaranteed education thing and allowed for some more market involvement, Oxbridge could very well be in the same position as Harvard today (able to give to whoever needs money).

ReputationRep:
    US students who can afford to also pay more than UK students do (at uk universities) at private universities like Harvard. If everyone at Oxford was paying that kind of money, yeah we probably could afford to subsidize those internationals who need it to the same extent as Harvard.

But Oxford is a public university. So you shouldn't be comparing it to Harvard, you should be comparing it to a public university in the USA - who, incidentally, charge everyone from outside the State the university is in higher fees (as they don't pay state taxes for that state).

ReputationRep:
    US students who can afford to also pay more than UK students do (at uk universities) at private universities like Harvard. If everyone at Oxford was paying that kind of money, yeah we probably could afford to subsidize those internationals who need it to the same extent as Harvard.

But Oxford is a public university. So you shouldn't be comparing it to Harvard, you should be comparing it to a public university in the USA - who, incidentally, charge everyone from outside the State the university is in higher fees (as they don't pay state taxes for that state).
    I agree completely. Oxford fees are about equivalent to going to UVA from out-of-state.

I just don't think that Oxbridge should have ceased to be private. They're excellent institutions but I'm scared that they'll turn out like the once-great continental universities did.

ReputationRep:
    If one's arms are shorter, he cannot open them wider than the other can.

If the UK had not instituted this guaranteed education thing and allowed for some more market involvement, Oxbridge could very well be in the same position as Harvard today (able to give to whoever needs money).

well then they should have allowed market involvement,so that they could have had "longer" arms and not "shorter" arms like you yourself said.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    well then they should have allowed market involvement,so that they could have had "longer" arms and not "shorter" arms like you yourself said.
    But they haven't!!! And this is the current situation we have to deal with. Either accept that Oxford is run the way it's run (for now) or stop posting in this thread.

ReputationRep:

well yeah but as you would have noticed those US state universities are not at the top of rankings.i am not against the policies of oxbridge i am just saying that because oxford and cambridge are the elite universities of UK they should be more affordable and because they fail to do this,they are slipping coz the last time i checked oxford or cambridge werent at the top of international rankings anymore simply because they cant afford "those international" applicants as you so arrogantly stated, it was Harvard makes me wonder what gave it that extra edge:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    But they haven't!!! And this is the current situation we have to deal with. Either accept that Oxford is run the way it's run (for now) or stop posting in this thread.
    well just because it is run the way it is run doesnt mean the way is right and i have every right to question that.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.