Turn on thread page Beta

Local Bus Services watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Mine are pretty good for students - £28 a month with pretty good coverage and frequent services. Good old Thamesdown buses!

ReputationRep:
    Mine is fantastic. smug much? yes much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    I'm so glad the buses in London normally come on time & are free until I'm 18.
    *free until you finish sixth form, 18 or not.

And yeah, I love London public transport... compared to out their in the sticks.

ReputationRep:
    mines every 10 minutes !! But sundays are a nightmare.

ReputationRep:
    Yep. Sundays and evenings are worst around here.

Here the bus service isn't too bad. Stagecoach run our unibus and I can't complain really except about the sunday service as that only runs every 30 minutes and stops coming back from uni at 10.30pm! The rest of the time its every 10-15minutes with buses as late as 2am. The rest of the stagecoach buses don't seem bad either. We even have a special gold bus with fancy seats that runs every 10 minutes, its very cool. So much better than buses at home but I get the train everywhere then anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Mine is always on time and regular, however, costs about £5 single.

Atrocious.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I'm happy enough with London buses. 90p to anywhere in London.

I once went to Buckinghamshire and had to pay 2.50 for a 10 minute bus journey. :rolleyes: And people still complain about London transport prices...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carlos92)
    Anyone else's local bus services absolutely diabolical?

Mine seems to be terrible, absolutely no buses on sundays, late afternoons, early mornings, let alone night.

How does everyone get places?
    with great difficulty living in a small village

ReputationRep:
    Buses are one of my pet hates... I hate having to rely on them. If anyone should be ON TIME it should be bus drivers, but somehow they always manage to be late!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    I'm happy enough with London buses. 90p to anywhere in London.

I once went to Buckinghamshire and had to pay 2.50 for a 10 minute bus journey. :rolleyes: And people still complain about London transport prices...
    my school bus costs 80p and is the only bus on the school bus park that you have to pay for and it is only a 5 minuet journey but takes me 35 mins to walk and my sister is to lazy to walk
    it only used to cost 60p amg went up 20p last year

ReputationRep:
    Buses where I am are fantastic. They're run by Stagecoach but are still brilliant. Not that expensive either - £9.50 for a weekly pass, which isn't that bad for me as my life seems to be a constant stream of buses as everywhere I ever go is in a different town.

ReputationRep:
    Where I live, buses are rubbish. Good thing I don't have to pay then.

ReputationRep:
    i hate arriva buses!!! it costs me £2.10 to get into Huddersfield, when it only takes 20 minutes (in heavy traffic). they say they come every 15 minutes but the 202 and 203 are dreadful. they are not only late, but they are so late that they end up coming together. also, the drvers are so arrogent - one bus driver even thought he had the right to take my purse off me and look through it when i said all i had was a £10 note. and after school they have a single-decker bus to do the school run that goes through schools from Huddersfield all the way into Heckmondwike, and then when i catch the bus back at 5.35 it is a double decker bus and there is probably the whole of 5 people on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    Where I live, buses are rubbish. Good thing I don't have to pay then.
    You will when you are working, ableit indirectly.

Mine are quite good (about one every 5-7 minutes east into the conurbation of Tyneside and one every ten minutes west, into rural Tynedale down the road). It comes from living on the very edge of a major metropolitan area with decent, if not fantastic, funding.

That said the lack of suspension on them is really pissing me off.

I don't pay for mine either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by weet_ABI_x)
    They're run by Stagecoach but are still brilliant. Not that expensive either.
    :rofl:

Stagecoach have some of the most rude drivers. Go North East are bad enough (many are awful, awful miserable and quite violent swines) but I'm always glad that I don't use Stagecoach.

ReputationRep:
    We have a service called the "thanet loop" with a bus coming every 10 mins or so. They are also nice, new, clean buses that usually run without a problem (except at lunchtimes when about 100 children want to get onto 2 buses... and I always seem to get on the bus that waits at the depot for 15 mins waiting for a new driver).

The First buses actually aren't that bad. The other service sucks though..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    :rofl:

Stagecoach have some of the most rude drivers. Go North East are bad enough (many are awful, awful miserable and quite violent swines) but I'm always glad that I don't use Stagecoach.

I've had really good experiences with Go North East drivers :eek: Like, so good I brag about it. LOL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyFencer)
    Still cheaper than buses
    If people are complaining about the cost, how likely is it that they can afford to drive.
    If people pay £20 a week for their buses (a weekly ticket not day by day) then the first week will be £70 'cos they have to pay for their provisional as well.

Two lessons a week for the next ten weeks, £60 a week.

Then you have to take the test, whilst still taking the bus at £20 a week...
    Then you have save to buy a car and insurance and tax whilst STILL taking the bus....

THEN you can drive your car, still paying insurance and tax and fuel, which is still much more than £20 a week. Probably more like £100 if you're including all the car things you have to buy (insurance divided by 12 etc)

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.