Turn on thread page Beta

Indie Music watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    They're all pretty mainstream

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atoms4peace)
    what the hell is indie?
    i dont like any of the afore mentioned bands but i'm constantly told i'm indie (i like radiohead, nirvana, no doubt, metric, bob dylan, the liberrtines/babyshambles, the cure, the stone roses, happy mondays, oasis, bloc party etc
    Well done on the Bob Dylan.

ReputationRep:
    I likeh the books. i wouldnt call them indie..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuffie)
    Not really. Some styles never catch on. I'd say for example "The Books" are indie because it's pretty experimental and wouldn;t be very open to being played on the radio. It's easily consumed guitar pop that's radio friendly and because they're wearing brogues and skinny jeans it's branded "indie".
    But then at the other end of the scale is Crystal Castles.

Reaching critical acclaim and hailed as "experimental" and "original" whilst basically just bringing chip tunes to the mass audience without giving any credit to other artists (See: lo-bat).

Radio One lapped up the Crystal Castles stuff and in the NME they're everywhere.

They're famous because they're different and percievedly experimental.

Alot of things can be branded indie; deceptivley.

It's gotten kinda gay recently and most "indie kids" are distancing themselves from the label now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nothingspek)
    Well done on the Bob Dylan.
    1/11 aint bad

ReputationRep:
    I'd say 7/11

ReputationRep:
    If I hear music on the radio and I don't like it, I don't like it. I personally don't care what genre it is, although I obviously do have a preferance for some genres over others.

Generally, I don't like most indie music. I like some indie bands who might have a different style of indie music as such, but stuff like the Pidgeon Detectives or the Kooks just don't appeal to me.

Aside from the fact that I don't like the music, there does seem to be a real generic feel about so many of these supposedly 'individual' bands. They seem to enjoy naming their own bands after something random, which apparently is much cooler than something that makes sense.

Also, a lot of the band members always seem so cocky and generally annoying...But the people behind the music aside, I just don't like the music itself. It always sounds too twangy and disjointed to me. But if other people like indie music, then I have no problem with that.

ReputationRep:
    1/11 aint bad
    Well done on The Libertines/Babyshambles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P_Ben21)
    I'd say 7/11
    thats because you're delicious. But i must say, i havent even heard of many of your bands. Then again, music wise i'm stuck in my ways. I havent downloaded new music in over a month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuffie)
    Not really. Some styles never catch on. I'd say for example "The Books" are indie because it's pretty experimental and wouldn;t be very open to being played on the radio. It's easily consumed guitar pop that's radio friendly and because they're wearing brogues and skinny jeans it's branded "indie".
    You seem to be making quite an assumption here. The defining features of indie would be obscurity (apparently) and an experimental attitude to their music. None of these actually imply indie can be enjoyed by many. Good music, by principle, shouldn't be a drag to listen to, actually quite the opposite. Indie music that retains an experimental attitude and succeeds to captivate many listeners should in fact be considered better indie music, instead of being immediately removed from the genre.

ReputationRep:
    I really need to update that, add Dylan...I'm going to get a picture with Doherty this year, if i not i will cry.

I'm listening to I wish now. Genious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P_Ben21)
    I really need to update that, add Dylan...I'm going to get a picture with Doherty this year, if i not i will cry.
    my friends went for a pint with him after a gig in manchester while i had to take a drunk bint home (i didnt realise they would meet him at the time, or else i would have left her to get herself home ofcourse like the good friend i am).

i would probably flush a hampster if it ment getting close to doherty. I hate how much bad press he's gotten. People seem to forget what an intellegent and amazing musician he is

ReputationRep:
    People seem to forget what an intellegent and amazing musician he is
    good one

ReputationRep:
    I like indie.
    Pavement, Stephen Malkmus, The Fiery Furnaces, Neutral Milk Hotel, pAPeR TigERs, and many more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by house sparrows)
    good one
    He is.

ReputationRep:
    my friends went for a pint with him after a gig in manchester while i had to take a drunk bint home (i didnt realise they would meet him at the time, or else i would have left her to get herself home ofcourse like the good friend i am).

i would probably flush a hampster if it ment getting close to doherty. I hate how much bad press he's gotten. People seem to forget what an intellegent and amazing musician he is
    yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ss!! I know, ****e press. Apparently he is really charming, few of my friends met him too. But i'm glad he's out of prison for Reading.

Bint, love that word. no one else understands it on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy_J)
    He is.
    no, bob dylan is an amazing and intelligent musician (albeit a second rate at best singer), but without the press attention on his drug use, doherty would have faded away and been well-deservedly forgotten

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Otter)
    Belle and Sebastian had*/have some amazing some writers.

*Isobel Campbell ;_;
    To be fair, Belle and Sebastian wouldn't be anywhere without Stuart, simple as.

Belle and Sebastian are the archetypal indie band for me; they do their own thing, they were on an independent label, not sure if they still are, and they don't ever sell out.

Besides, if you read the sleeve notes for If You're Feeling Sinister (1996), I believe it's those sleeve notes, Stuart has a nice wee rant bout the word "indie" and what it means.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArchedEdge)
    I think people have a hatred for indie because not of the music, but because of the people in the indie genre.

I.E, all of those wearing skinnies, bright colours, cardigans, just trying to be unusual etc. And by trying to stand out, they just end up looking like ***** or just desperate to be "cool" and end up looking gay.

Like one of my mates defines himself as a classic indie boy, but really he's just an arse. He looks for undiscovered bands, and supports them with fervour, and then when they become famous he dumps them and starts calling them ****. Plus he dresses like a **** too.
    Wow. Almost perfect description of one of my friends. He even goes past shop windows and looks in them and if his hair isn't scruffy enough, he'll rub his hand through his hair to make sure he looks like he only just got out of bed.

Oh, minus the cardigan comment though. They're damn comfy. (Well, I wear pullovers which is a kind of cardigan..?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    To be fair, Belle and Sebastian wouldn't be anywhere without Stuart, simple as.

Belle and Sebastian are the archetypal indie band for me; they do their own thing, they were on an independent label, not sure if they still are, and they don't ever sell out.

Besides, if you read the sleeve notes for If You're Feeling Sinister (1996), I believe it's those sleeve notes, Stuart has a nice wee rant bout the word "indie" and what it means.
    belle and sebastian have been on a downwards slope since 1996 really

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.