Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopping Mad Kangaroo)
    Most people measure themselves against social success. The reality is that some people can do things that others cannot, so situationally some people are better to have than others. People are not independent of their environment.
    Yes that's not what I'm saying. My point is that at the end of the day and on an individual basis we're all the same so it doesn't make sense to treat people like you're better. Some people are higher up the social ladder, fine, but when it comes to dealing with people on a daily basis you shouldn't act all arrogant just because you have more friends than I do (for example, although not a great one) because I can have other good qualities too.

ReputationRep:
    In which case, do you hate yourself?
    That one went over your head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irrelevance)
    Arrogance is irritating. It's basically somebody verbally crotch thrusting you in the face
    Yes indeed it is!! Perfect explanation there!

People who are arrogant tend to have less time for others. If you are sat talking to an arrogant person, they show little interest in what you say. Furthermore, they tend to try to defeat you in some way for some kind of moral victory when, in reality, they are not necessarily in the position to judge. Everyone should just tolerate one another and not try to come out on top in social situations when that behaviour is inappropriate.

Yes, mention your achievments but dont be patronising etc in the mean time.

Sometimes people do it to reassure themselves - if you look closely.

Because I am a deeply insecure girl and jealous that I do not have their self confidence

ReputationRep:
    I think it's OK to be arrogant if you've something to be arrogant about.
    If you don't then it's not.

ReputationRep:
    Arrogance is a nasty trait because it shows somebody who is not willing or likely to play by the rules. Self-centred people are treacherous because they don't feel themselves bound by the rules we other mortals willingly (or grudgingly) accept, and that's an extremely threatening trait to encounter. They rock the boat, they undermine others, they make people vulnerable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Stupid arrogant people or arrogant people who take themselves too seriously can be fairly tiresome, but I have very little against arrogant people who are firstly self-aware and secondly possessed of some qualities which merit at least a decent amount of confidence. I'll get on with arrogant people more often than with insecure people because I'm arrogant myself and for me friendships with people who are less confident and assertive would tend to be one-sided.
    I think we need to also define the word here. Arrogance in a half-joking half-serious way isn't necessarily unpleasant. It's that lofty, narrowminded, selfish hauteur that people don't like. As you say, it's fine to play the part of an overly self-confident person, as long as you don't take yourself too seriously, and, while fully aware of your abilities, it's important not to tread on others' toes in exercising them. Furthermore, it helps to be "in on the joke" of one's own arrogance. Let others write your mythology, rather than you doing so yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xBillyBrownx)
    Yes that's not what I'm saying. My point is that at the end of the day and on an individual basis we're all the same so it doesn't make sense to treat people like you're better. Some people are higher up the social ladder, fine, but when it comes to dealing with people on a daily basis you shouldn't act all arrogant just because you have more friends than I do (for example, although not a great one) because I can have other good qualities too.
    It makes perfect sense to me. The social hierachy is generally maintained by arrogance, or more to the point crapping on those below. Without it there would be reduced consequences for not playing the societal ladder game, and less incentive to do things as a society. In other words, there would be little reward for success, and as a society we would be far less productive as a whole. A similar thing is a key failing of communist society, unfortuantly its practically against human nature just to do things for the greater good. Much as I hate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delphsider)
    That one went over your head.
    I got the joke, though it was a tad lame so I thought I might be able to make something intresting out of it. Tis a shame you failed to deliver...

ReputationRep:
    if there 'that' good why dont they prove it instead of running there mouth.

ReputationRep:
    I got the joke, though it was a tad lame so I thought I might be able to make something intresting out of it. Tis a shame you failed to deliver...
    If your intention was to 'make something interesting out of it', then you also failed to deliver, sonny jim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delphsider)
    If your intention was to 'make something interesting out of it', then you also failed to deliver, sonny jim.
    Yes, we both know that you are a lame arse trying to be funny. Now run along with the rest of them...

ReputationRep:
    It makes perfect sense to me. The social hierachy is generally maintained by arrogance, or more to the point crapping on those below. Without it there would be reduced consequences for not playing the societal ladder game, and less incentive to do things as a society. In other words, there would be little reward for success, and as a society we would be far less productive as a whole. A similar thing is a key failing of communist society, unfortuantly its practically against human nature just to do things for the greater good. Much as I hate it.
    There's a lot wrong with this argument. The social "hierarchy" (assuming such a thing even exists) is maintained by so many things of which arrogance is not a key component. You are confusing motivation, and the satsifaction and freedom that comes from self-actualisation, with just being a ****. My ambitions are not fueled by a desire to finally crap on others. And doing things for the greater good while maintaining your own agenda, are not mutually exclusive objectives. I always say that kindness is a bonus that depends on my mood, but respecting others is not negotiable. You don't have to be arrogant to be successful, nor are all successful people cocks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabo89)
    if there 'that' good why dont they prove it instead of running there mouth.
    What about those that do follow up on the things they say? Arrogance doesn't mean that you're not actually very capable.

To use a personal example (because I'm so arrogant :rolleyes: ) - when I applied to Cambridge, instead of obeying the proper etiquette of telling everyone I had no idea if I'd get in, and that it's really difficult to do so, I straight up said I was going to get a place. Now that's definitely arrogant, because I was presuming something which I didn't actually know yet, but people didn't think I was all talk because I knew I was capable. And of course when the letters came through, they'd given me an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    What about those that do follow up on the things they say? Arrogance doesn't mean that you're not actually very capable.

To use a personal example (because I'm so arrogant :rolleyes: ) - when I applied to Cambridge, instead of obeying the proper etiquette of telling everyone I had no idea if I'd get in, and that it's really difficult to do so, I straight up said I was going to get a place. Now that's definitely arrogant, because I was presuming something which I didn't actually know yet, but people didn't think I was all talk because I knew I was capable. And of course when the letters came through, they'd given me an offer.
    That's not really arrogance. I think an element of overbearing is essential to being arrogant. That's just being extremely self-assured. I'd say it becomes arrogance when you tread on others' toes.

ReputationRep:
    Big difference between being happy with yourself, being confident and being arrogant.

Arrogance is jusr arrogant mmmkay?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, we both know that you are a lame arse trying to be funny. Now run along with the rest of them...
    A rather ironic comment given the subject of this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClovisDynasty)
    There's a lot wrong with this argument. The social "hierarchy" (assuming such a thing even exists) is maintained by so many things of which arrogance is not a key component. You are confusing motivation, and the satsifaction and freedom that comes from self-actualisation, with just being a ****. My ambitions are not fueled by a desire to finally crap on others. And doing things for the greater good while maintaining your own agenda, are not mutually exclusive objectives. I always say that kindness is a bonus that depends on my mood, but respecting others is not negotiable. You don't have to be arrogant to be successful, nor are all successful people cocks.
    Firstly we live in a captalist society, which is based on a hierachical system, in fact I could go as far to say that we still have a class system to a large extent here. The reason that such a hierachy exists is because we have to have layers of organisation, and a way to justify being at the top, or as close to being at the top as one can be.

Defining a greater good, or conviction involves quite an element of arrogance. Actually following through with it even more so. To be a true success, not just relatively successful you need quite a level of arrogance. It is that I suspect that makes arrogance attract some, and feel jealous towards another.

All successful people are not cocks, but it helps in a lot of social spheres, big business in particular. You have to be a **** somewhere to beat people, its the nature of any political environment. The best have an arrogant streak, and imo are all the better for it. We need them.

ReputationRep:
    i despise arrogance, just can't stand its such a bad trait turn off, big time.

& this thread reminds me of AMG, wonder why:P

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 10, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.