Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It took me about 4 months. Took me ages to actually say it though. We both kept tip toeing around it. I knew he wanted to say it and he knew I wanted to. We were just too rubbish to actually say it! It was a relief when we actually did though =)

ReputationRep:
    For me and my girlfriend we fell in love after about 3-4 months.

ReputationRep:
    I fell in love with my boyfriend the night I met him. However I realised just how deeply I love him about 18 months into the relationship.

ReputationRep:
    Like many of the people on here are saying, i think there needs to be some sort of distinction between love and attraction. I was attracted to my current boyfriend from the outset, but it didn't develop into me falling in love with him until a few months later. Love at first sight, no, attraction at first sight, yes. Love is knowing what they're going to say before they say it, love is putting up with him leaving the toilet seat up, love is loving someone for all their flaws and imperfections - you can't get all that from one glance.

ReputationRep:
    I'd been e-mailing/talking to my boyfriend for about two and a half month before we first got together. I knew that I loved him (7 months into our relationship) when he went away to the US for anything up to five months and I thought I wouldn't be able to speak to him or hear from him at all while he was there, but I didn't care as long as I knew I'd have him back at the end of it. But even after two years we still find it difficult to say 'I love you'. We're silly.

ReputationRep:
    took me 6 months

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheer Up Charlie)
    This also may sound stupid, but i think 'love' changes, like i loved my boy friend after 4/5 months but now after 2 and a half years, i love him unconditionally, which i think is the best type of love.

Then again i know people that have said “I love you” after 2 weeks so each to there own, I say!
    :p:
    Yeah I agree with this. I don't have the 2 years experience but I can imagine that's the case.

I told my boyfriend I loved him (and he to me) a few weeks ago, it's been a couple of months. I care about him SO much, never felt like this about any bf before, feel like I would do almost anything for him etc etc. BUT I don't think that's actual love because I'm sort of aware of gaps (for want of a better word) e.g. I can't just say anything and know that he won't think badly of me, I still worry what he'll think, which I guess shows I don't have 100% trust in him wanting to be with me whatever happens.

So I would say although we've done the whole "i love you" business we probably don't. but there's nothing you can say in between. I wanted to tell him how much he meant to me and how powerful the feeling was and I couldn't find a substitute for love really.

ReputationRep:
    I felt it after about 4/5 months I think. Two years on and I think it's stronger than it was at the beginning.

ReputationRep:
    It took about 6 months for me to really know I had strong feelings for the guy and it wasn't just some 'phase' I was going through. We were on and off for about a year and half, and I knew I loved him but couldn't be together because of my parents. He has been the only guy I've been in love with, we don't see each other often but when we do it's like we were never apart, there's still that feeling between us.

ReputationRep:
    three weeks x

ReputationRep:
    In the two seconds as the walk by............and then towards their boyfriends.

ReputationRep:
    love is a social construction really buttttt with my bf atm i cant remember when it was. (been goin out over 2 years) i still love him now though if ya interested!

ReputationRep:
    I woudl say a couple of months really. I was best friends with my first girlfriend so we kind of just realised before we went out then went out because of it in a way.
    But with my current girlfriend, even though Iknew her from school previously, I gradually came to trust her more and realised I was in love with her after a few months
    I get a bit annoyed with "love at first sight" as I have a hard time believing it!

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm, I only realise when they go away.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    took me about 2 months. my fault though. it turned sour too quickly and i am so annoyed for being so ungaurded with my emotions. grrrr. wasnt even goin out with him as well. haha.
    but i think it's my karma coming back to me.
    at least now my karma is balanced and restored.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *pitseleh*)
    Definitely.

For myself and my other half, I reckon the "honeymoon period" (which, IMO, is far less substantial than what comes later, however intense it might feel at the time) lasted for about a year and a half - though we'd been dating on-and-off for about two years prior to that, so maybe make it three and a half years. :p: Then we had a difficult few months which, in hindsight, I reckon were due to us adjusting to the ending of the honeymoon period. Over the years since then, things have developed into something much more substantial - though I don't really want to go into detail in that respect for fear of sounding really mushy.
    Ah go on, tell us! We want to hear it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onthejubileeline)
    I don't believe in falling in love. It's not that I'm a cynic (not much, anyway), I just don't believe that you can fall into a state like love.

As far as I can tell (though never having been 'in love' myself) love is a state that takes a lot of maintenance, and first and foremost, choice. You chose who you love, right? I've been infatuated with lots of guys, but I ultimately decided not to go that step futher with any of them, and really devote myself to them, i.e. love them. Love is like...total commitment, acceptance of failings, trust and compromise - no more selfishness! Sharing yourself completely with someone. I think common sense says that you can't 'fall' into that state, you have to consciously choose it. And I haven't with anyone, yet. I think if I were going to, I'd have to have known the guy for quite a long time, as a friend and then as a boyfriend. I don't know. Maybe I'm just a hard nut to crack, or maybe I just don't know what I'm really talking about, as none of my past relationships have been particularly meaningful. I guess I've just always been wary of confusing love with lust or infatuation - it's a pretty easy mistake to make.
    Oh no, that's probably a point worth mentioning. I think you will find that a lot of us who claim to have 'fallen in love' could still agree with your sentiment that, logically, there is no such thing as 'falling in love'.

But how we feel about the person that we are love is still true. Essentially, we are talking about the same thing, except that some people call it ‘falling in love’ and some just don’t.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anony mouse)
    Ah go on, tell us! We want to hear it!
    Nooooo! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I met my boyfriend whilst out in Manchester then started going out with him 2 days later. We said 'I love you' to each other 3 weeks into our relationship, but he said that before then when he was drawing on my back sometimes (as you do), he wrote I love you but I didn't realise!

ReputationRep:
    My previous boyfriend told me he loved me after a week and a half and my reaction was "don't you ever ****ing tell me that again!" because it scared me like hell.
    My current boyfriend however I loved soon as we got together, I met him a few months previously whilst with my previous boyfriend and something just felt right about him and as the time moved on I realised I was thinking more about him and wishing it was him texting me not my boyfriend at the time.
    Today is our 1 month but it actually feels so much longer because of all the flirting and how we were basically seeing each other for a while before he did ask me out.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 10, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.