Turn on thread page Beta

AQA English Language B - ENB5 - The Big Pre-release Thread! watch

• View Poll Results: Which pack of pre-release are you focusing on?
    The Pendle Witches
    27.43%
    Dyslexia
    41.59%
    Both
    30.97%

There is two for each pack. I opted for the Pendle Witch pack. Although I don't know a lot about it. I'm sure I can research, and from what I've read it seems quite interesting.

The Dyslexia Pack, just looks so dull, and the possible question are probably along the lines of 'write a guide for parents with a dyslexic child-- explain signs to look out for, causes, symptons, what it is blah... Or possibly write an account of dislexia from a young persons eyes... Hence why there are all the articles on personal experiences of dyslexia.

But I went for Pendle Witches, going to concentrate on that. Any thoughts?? How are your meant to organise them? In groups of what in particular?

ReputationRep:
    I see what you mean, both are horrible but the potentially easy option could get very boring. SO how do you prepare for this, people?? You answer just one question right?

ReputationRep:
    You lot all sound as though your just focusing on one
    if you want to keep your options wide open can you annotate both and take both into the exam and pick depending on the question?
    or do you have to pick a pack prior to the exam

ReputationRep:
    no you can annaotate both, but it can seem quite taxing having to annotate both packs when you know that you favour one over the other. However, in January I only focused on the 1812 pack and the questions were slightly restrictive so i think this time i'm going to do both just in case and i'd advise you to do the same... just in case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimee-Lou_)
    if you want to keep your options wide open can you annotate both and take both into the exam and pick depending on the question?
    A 'good student' :p: would prepare both packs so to keep their options open as you say. Oh no you don't have to pick a pack prior to the exam - you make your mind up in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    just so people know there is tonnes of information on the internet about pendle witches

and im gonna do both packs just incase the questions are extremely un-expected sorts of questions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendle_witch_trials

or just google it. finally finished reading dyslexia pack, and going to go through it grouping it, audience, genre, for parents, for children. and check out what sources they'e used since a lot are on the internet anyway.
    hope everyone keeps possitive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hattilongsoks)
    just so people know there is tonnes of information on the internet about pendle witches

and im gonna do both packs just incase the questions are extremely un-expected sorts of questions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendle_witch_trials

or just google it. finally finished reading dyslexia pack, and going to go through it grouping it, audience, genre, for parents, for children. and check out what sources they'e used since a lot are on the internet anyway.
    hope everyone keeps possitive!
    I don't mean to totally disagree with you because getting an overall feel for the packs can be beneficial, but looking it up on the internet can put you at a disadvantage as if you accidentally include some information not provided in the packs you can be marked down... although the family trees for the pendle witches on wikipedia are particularly useful...

ReputationRep:
    I hope this doesn't seem like a silly question, but I was wondering if I could have some advice from someone has taken this exam before.

I realise that we have to lift material from the packs and use it for a different purpose/audience/format, but to what degree is it our own writing? My teachers are under the impression that we are allowed to copy whole sentences from the packs and use them in our writing if we think they fit, but I wanted to check here that this is correct. I thought that the information would have to be re-written in our own words if we wanted to use it, or else it wouldn't be our own work?

I wish I had the option to take this exam in January!

I also thought that the dyslexia pack would ask us to design a leaflet. If so, how would this be portrayed in the exam? Would it be sensible to have each page in the answer booklet as a page in the leaflet?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just that this exam is confusing me and I've heard lots of different things from my teachers!

ReputationRep:
    hows everyone going about this reading through it then making tables etc ? the pendle witches pack is rather confusing the old english text .. text B ahhh good job we have knowledge from unit 6 on that .. hows everyone doing on sorting through them ?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you can, but the extent to which you lift whole passages will obviously affect your grade. A little plagiarism here and there wouldn't matter too much, I had a couple of sentences copied in my Jan exam. However, I'd recommend sticking mainly to your own writing - information can easily be paraphrased.

Regarding the person who asked about webpages - yes they have asked this before (I did a practice question on Ibiza.) Sometimes it's a page, sometimes a whole website, so take that into consideration as you'll have to consider how many pages you would want to write to constitute a "website" ..

I think the witch pack is actually interesting, a lot of paraphrased information however, basically reading one or two or the clearer and definitive pieces will give you all you need to know... I'd say don't get put off by the old English texts as there are some more modern ones which are a lot more accessible and easily understood. Haven't looked thru the dyslexia one yet.

In January, no one checked my information before entering or took it in afterwards. Very lax, may just have been my school, though... I was told there is no limit to the amount of highlighting/colour coding you want to do, so this might be an alternative if you're worrying about writing too much.

Iris.: The best way to give indication of layout is to design the layout on one piece of paper, with the text boxes labelled, then you write like "Box A": then write your information which would go in there. Same for pictures. You don't need to actually have a proper laid-out leaflet.

Oh yeah, you guys know you can cut and stick, right? E.g., pictures, chunks of text (if you were so inclined).

ReputationRep:
    I think the packs this time round are far better than they were in January.

Think the dyslexia one is better than the witch pack so opted for that. Me and my friend have just spent the last 4 hours going through the dyslexia one and managed to go through up to text M highlighting and discussing what each one is about.

Feeling much more confident about this one.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I did the exam in January and it was pretty difficult but I didn't really prepare enough. If you need self assurance as to what you need to do there's a mark scheme here

In response to your questions... you can include sentences from the packs but you will gain marks for using your own words that are appropriate to the audience the question requires you to write for.

I dunno whether it will be a leaflet, maybe, if it is i reckon it will be advice to parents or something along those lines... haven't really got a clue for the witches though...

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't be happier with the packs this time round. I've read the Pendle Witches pack and it's pretty hard to get your head around, especially with all the old English, but understandable. That said, I've had a flick through the dyslexia one and it seems so much more accessible

ReputationRep:
    can someone give me a brief little sentence to describe text B on the witches pack if possible thank you

ReputationRep:
    I read spend all of today going through and annotating the Pendle Witches pack, and I have to say I am quite enjoying it, something that just didn't seem possible at 8am this morning when I sat there is shock!!

The wikipedia page is useful for helping to decipher some of the texts that are in old/middle english, although as someone said if using it you must be careful not to include any information that is not in the pack. I must admit though, the families trees were SOOOOOOO helpful!

Haven't even looked at the Dyslexia Pack yet, might do that Thursday afternoon - exams tomorrow and Thursday, so Editorial is temporarily going on the back burner.

ReputationRep:
    omg its soo hard to concentrate on so many texts, this is taking forever! :-( i'v done tuns of these but i never seem to get a decent enough grade! i think i'l end up doing the pendle witches, it seems more interesting, but i havent finished reading the dyslexia one. Did anyone do the spelling one for practise cos i did ok on this one, do you think the questions will be similar in the dyslexia one?! i hope so! im going to def go through them both i have a feeling the questions are going to be weird ones! Really puzzled about what pendle witch questions there can be... maybe an audio guide for lancaster or something new like a well known make of history book or something!! who knows till next week! ahhh! good luck everyone

ReputationRep:
    Pendle witches isn't too hard to decipher consiedering havn't we all been doing Language change this year? so should have a pretty good grounding in 17th century english. Im definelty going for that...dyslexia looks incredibly dull and not like something i'd want to absorb myself in. Just going to have to read non- stop for next few days ahh.
    Also does anyone think the way teachers suggest we annotate the texts for style and using our frameworks really stupid considering we only really use them for their content..with perhaps a bit of stylisitc influence???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimee-Lou_)

That's madness!!! Surely we are all so busy with exams there is absolutley no point annotating BOTH....and you know that classicc questions they ask anyway...website, leaflet, guide for children etc...it's not going to be anything that hard. I'd rather know one really well and just deal with the question i get handed..

ReputationRep:
    In January, I looked at the one i liked best in detail, and then the other not so much but i read it! You do have a week, just keep calm. Best way to get good marks is pin down your audience and tone in the exam. Just stay cool!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jkatherine)
    That's madness!!! Surely we are all so busy with exams there is absolutley no point annotating BOTH....
    haha i suppose but iv nearly done pendel witches now, as in table summarising etc

i dunno i realy dnt wanna do a radio script/ tour guide script so best to keep the options open! even hough im mad busy with exams! got six over three days next week! harrrrdcore:eek:
    gonna fail anyway lol damn this module!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 18, 2008

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.