Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    While traveling I actually found people were very nice to me, and they were quick to tell me how much of a nice country England is. Though I guess they wouldn't exactly say the English are a load of ****s to my face... I think worst is being American right now, I traveled through Cambodia & Vietnam, which were both bombed to oblivion by the US. Their not very liked in Laos either for obvious reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jace Falco)
    I don't know how it is for the Scots and the Irish, but I find it a bit annoying when Americans go on about being Irish or Scottish. I mean, sure, your family was a few hundred years ago, but really, you're American. You don't often hear Americans descended from Germans and Poles going on about it.
    Not really, it makes me proud to be Scottish, half of America is jealous because they claim they are, but they ain't really. :p:

And you do actually get people who flout their European roots in general. particularly Italian. Many of the big cities do have a lot of German, French, even Dutch influence in their architecture and culture in certain areas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truce)
    I guess I glanced at the flag and didn't see the yellow . Ignore me.
    Of course! The St Albans flag is a bit similar to the St Andrews flag. It's usually portrayed as a shield, which is more obviously different. I ought probably to change it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gan)
    Well, sometimes I love Britain, sometimes I hate it and sometimes I am indifferent.
    When I a see a council estate on TV or am walking through one, I wonder how a country can construct such hideous buildings, and then my thoughts move on to benefits and I start getting angry.
    But when I am walking or driving through the countryside in summer, sometimes I feel like I'm in heaven.

The crime isn't too bad here, as well, compared to South Africa, but there is still far too much bureaucracy, red tape, jobsworths and people claiming benefit fraudulently. Many people here are miserable and intolerant of everything and anything that upsets their little world, and need to be more laid back.

One thing that I think is true is that Britain has been punching above its weight, so to speak, for a long time in world affairs. It is no longer an economic or military powerhouse, and no longer a key player is world affairs in the same sense as Russia, China or the USnA.

Some days good, some days bad.

I'd rather live in Australia though. Or California. Or Southern France. Or Italy. Or Spain...well, you get the idea...
    britian is becoming a **** hole, we have so many people moving to other countries like france and spain every year, am sure theres a reason apart from the bad whether that they are moving.
    crime rates are actually high compared with the rest of europe
    child poverty is the highest in the uk compared with the developed economies
    i think the majority of us don't like to admit the fact that we one of the worst developed countries in western Europe and the G8.
    we have the highest unemployment in the G8.

ReputationRep:
    We've ****ed a lot of people up in the past man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarsAreFixed)
    Pfft Ireland doesn't come into it since it's not part of Britain.
    American's usually believe England, Great Britain and the UK are the same thing, so that doesn't make a difference.

The Irish don't come into it because you're all such lovable drunks (please don't kill me Irish people!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veni_vidi)
    britian is becoming a **** hole, we have so many people moving to other countries like france and spain every year, am sure theres a reason apart from the bad whether that they are moving.
    crime rates are actually high compared with the rest of europe
    child poverty is the highest in the uk compared with the developed economies
    i think the majority of us don't like to admit the fact that we one of the worst developed countries in western Europe and the G8.
    we have the highest unemployment in the G8.
    You're correct, I think.

Also, the spirit of the people, if you know what I mean, is far better in mainland Europe than over here. What I mean is that people are friendlier, and generally more conscientious. There is even less litter. People do not respect the area they live in, each other and ultimately themselves, in this country. Honour no longer exists here, and it is such a shame.

Obviously this is not true of all people, many of whom are perfectly respectable people. I am just saying that, in my own opinion, admirable traits such as honour, respect for one's habitat, conscientiousness and generally having the ability to see past one's own nose, metaphorically speaking, are more common in mainland Europe, especially amongst the younger generation.

This is my 00.02.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gan)
    You're correct, I think.

Also, the spirit of the people, if you know what I mean, is far better in mainland Europe than over here. What I mean is that people are friendlier, and generally more conscientious. There is even less litter. People do not respect the area they live in, each other and ultimately themselves, in this country. Honour no longer exists here, and it is such a shame.

Obviously this is not true of all people, many of whom are perfectly respectable people. I am just saying that, in my own opinion, admirable traits such as honour, respect for one's habitat, conscientiousness and generally having the ability to see past one's own nose, metaphorically speaking, are more common in mainland Europe, especially amongst the younger generation.

This is my 00.02.
    i agree with your first sentence 100%
    i would probably say 90% of brits are ill spirited, rude, arrogant and shameful
    in this country ignorance is bliss and the fact that they think they know it all doesn't help.

(when a brit goes to a foreign country they expect everyone to speak english, they don't have the decency to even try and attempt the language or acknowledge that they have a different language)

ReputationRep:
    In my experience I don't think the English are seen in a negative light by other Europeans. It's true many people I know imagine the typical englishman as being drunk, disorderly and cold when sober, but I'd say that's not any different from the hot-blooded, emotional italians, or the conflictive and snobbish french – stereotypes of most peoples, though often incorrect, will always exist. I go to a British school and although there is a fair share of cultural differences between students and teachers, most members of staff are well integrated, with quite a few of them being highly proficient in Portuguese. That said, it is true Scottish people seem to integrate much better, though, and there is an idea amongst the Portuguese that the Scottish are more friendly and approachable than the English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jace Falco)
    Oh come off it, how many Polish builders and plumbers do we have? Notably not in prison. We even have over 4,000 Polish doctors, according to my geography case study revision.
    Since when are Polish people refugees in England?

Here's some useful articles:
    Refugees
    Immigrants

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gan)
    People have been turned too selfish in Britain due to the Conservative neo-liberal crap. Everyone is just out there for short-term benefits for themselves. Not many people care about others.

That's one surprising thing I've noticed since coming to England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    People have been turned too selfish in Britain due to the Conservative neo-liberal crap. Everyone is just out there for short-term benefits for themselves. Not many people care about others.

That's one surprising thing I've noticed since coming to England.
    America has one of the most conservatively neo-liberal attitudes towards the economy, yet their communities, especially within the south are incredibly welcoming places; the epitomy of caring. From my experience in France and Germany, which rejected neo-liberalism, they don't care about each other much more than Brits do. It's not a case of economic conservatism, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, apologies I meant anti-Englishness in this thread.

We've ****ed a lot of people up in the past man.
    Yes but then they fail to remember the World Wars in which we played a big part in? Whenever people mention this we get ridiculed for "living in the past" as it were.

You have to have it both ways if that's how you want to look at it.

I'm worried when I go to Euro 2008 (more of a holiday but I might see a game), the only way for me is to claim to be German, thankfully I know enough to get out of a conversation!

ReputationRep:
    I think any negative feelings towards the UK at the moment are based on the UK's cultural dominance of the world, e.g. how English has become a second language everywhere because we don't bother to learn foreign languages.

Also when going abroad, anti-britishness could be because of how some british tourists behave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veni_vidi)
    i agree with your first sentence 100%
    i would probably say 90% of brits are ill spirited, rude, arrogant and shameful
    in this country ignorance is bliss and the fact that they think they know it all doesn't help.

(when a brit goes to a foreign country they expect everyone to speak english, they don't have the decency to even try and attempt the language or acknowledge that they have a different language)
    Again, I'd say this is England, as opposed to Britain as a whole. At the end of the day, I know very few people who are rude, arrogant, or shameful human beings. I'll give you the point about people expecting everyone else to speak English, but again this is not ignorance, as when you go away to a tourist resort everyone actually does speak English. What is the point? Spend three months trying to grasp Spanish for your week at the Costas, to get there and find everyone talks your native tongue anyway. I don't see whats wrong with not bothering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rei)
    If you're into CS, gimme your steam ID and I'll pwnzor some german skill fakers for you.
    Hehe, i'd like to watch

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 10, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.