Turn on thread page Beta

This is a thread about progressive rock watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moogen)
    Also whilst SFAM may seem less heavy compared to ToT it is still very much a metal album. 7-string guitar/C standard tuning and a more heavily distorted tone isn't the only thing that makes it metal.
    Quite.

Progressive-metal isn't 'encompassed' by progressive-rock, either. It's the 'metal' equivalent of progressive-rock, insomuch as both are 'progressive'; but 'metal' isn't a sub-genre of 'rock'.

ReputationRep:
    Also 7-String would be B standard.

And neo-prog is usually the term considered for the more modern approach to prog when it isn't quite heavy enough to be thought of as metal.

(Original post by Mondo Weirdo)
    Matte Kudasai is the best KC song
    Starless is teh bester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunburnedCactus)
    Also 7-String would be B standard.
    However on Train of Thought Petrucci uses either a 7-string (B standard) or a 6-string tuned to C with the exception of Endless Sacrifice which is a 6-string tuned to D. I think thats right.

Edit: stream of conciousness is 6-string tuned down a half step.

ReputationRep:
    King Crimson are absolutely excellent. Don't much like Porcupine Tree though.

ReputationRep:
    dream theater is a good choice, as is pink Floyd and crimson king, Jethro tull as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moogen)
    However on Train of Thought Petrucci uses either a 7-string or a 6-string tuned to C with the exception of Endless Sacrifice which is a 6-string tuned to D. I think thats right.

Edit: stream of conciousness is 6-string tuned down a half step.
    That and Octavarium are the DT albums I never got round to buying :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpearson)
    I'm glad we agree on something

Sorry about double post.
    Favourite song?

ReputationRep:
    oooooo a prog-rock thread!

Pink Floyd fan over here (Dad's fault). I quite like Yes as well. And do Cream count as prog-rock?

ReputationRep:
    Any DT fans heard any Liquid Tension Experiment stuff? If not I urge you to check them out, hell even if your not a DT fan. Insane instrumental prog at its best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meoldmucker)
    Any DT fans heard any Liquid Tension Experiment stuff? If not I urge you to check them out, hell even if your not a DT fan. Insane instrumental prog at its best.
    Agreed. 'Paradigm Shift' in particular.

However, nothing quite holds a torch to this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bekahchu)
    Favourite song?
    2112, all parts as they each play apart in the overall 'song' so to speak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Agreed. 'Paradigm Shift' in particular.

However, nothing quite holds a torch to this.
    I think I can find something

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-d5CA_XxB_Y

The entire Album is incredible, all the more so because its live.

ReputationRep:
    Is the genre defining really needed? ><

Anyway, bands given this name are amongst my favourites, Porcupine Tree I absolutely adore. There's also the older stuff like Rush and Pink Floyd I like, and a more recent discovery in the genre which I've quite enjoyed is Oceansize. Phenomenal band.

The sort of bands which encompass the genre I also love. Pain of Salvation is my favourite band ever, other big "Prog Metal" bands like Dream Theater and Opeth are also completely awesome.

Btw, SunburnedCactus, I saw your last.fm, great taste!

ReputationRep:
    Ayreon!!!

ReputationRep:
    Dream Theater... they make me laugh :p: i'm not a big fan of prog rock actually but i have friends who are immensely immensely into the genre i am forced to listen to it :p:

Oceansize is amazing, theyre really good (despite being too up in their arse for their own good... though someone once told me they saw the guitarist handing out flyers to promote their gigs)

The Twilight Sad!! highly recommended!

Mew's And the Glass Handed Kite is arguably progressive rock and would definitely recommend as these guys have huge talents.

ReputationRep:
    would you say some of the cure is progressive rock?

ReputationRep:
    I would say no. I haven't listened to that much of the cure but from what I have heard then definately no.

ReputationRep:
    I recently started listening to "Forver Autumn" by Jeff Wayne - it's off his War Of the Worlds album (which is nothing more than a concept album based on the story - nothing to do with the actual film).

Anyway, it's absolutely awesome so I highly recommend it to any prog fans. I have yet to listen to the rest of the album.

Also, in terms of metal, Opeth anyone?

(Original post by Nadinus)
    I recently started listening to "Forver Autumn" by Jeff Wayne - it's off his War Of the Worlds album (which is nothing more than a concept album based on the story - nothing to do with the actual film).

Anyway, it's absolutely awesome so I highly recommend it to any prog fans. I have yet to listen to the rest of the album.
    I'd suggest listening to The Spirit Of Man next if you're not doing it in order. It's epic. It's almost 10 minutes long. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by =nuke=)
    I'd suggest listening to The Spirit Of Man next if you're not doing it in order. It's epic. It's almost 10 minutes long. :p:
    Oo okay I'll have a listen!

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.