''Are you Chinese?'' Watch

Calv
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Running Mind)
Hey, i'm Eurasian as well (I presume you are?) but I live in Hong Kong. When I visit the UK I never get asked anything in Chinese, probably because I look more caucasian than oriental. But when I speak to chinese people, in cantonese, they are all shocked
haha!!! thats awesome!!!
i used to live in HK...
"yat yee sam sei"
1 2 3 4...lol
danni_bella
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Poica)
My chinese friend (studying in England) gets a lot of this sort of thing. People stop her in the street to tell her that they once went to China...and she sits there and thinks "I really don't care". But she's far too polite.
Lol! I'm about 1/4 Chinese, but you can't really tell

If you look closely, I have sort of squinty, narrow-ish eyes in comparison to most, and I also have high cheekbones.
little_green
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Haha I've had this.
My mum is Filipino but my dad is English and I was born in Warwickshire.
When I worked as a home care assistant one old woman turned to me and said 'I expect you just eat rice, do you?' LOL.
Bear_Grylls
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Suprised no one asked you if your name is ting tong
Wind Guru
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh dear! There are some daft people about :p:

I have an 'oriental' look although I am English. People usually ask me where I was originally from, they get disappointed when I say 'er here?'.
Joanna May
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What is it with this whole Indian clique thing? I've noticed it everywhere I go, that the Indians all tend to stick together in big groups, and automatically decide to be your friend when they find out your Indian.

My friend is half Indian, and so my German teacher automatically started being really friendly with her, even though she didn't teach her, and had never had a conversation with her. Equally, there's an Indian girl who is really over familiar with an Indian boy in one of my classes, even though they barely know each other. Like, if he says "I support England in the world cup", she goes "Nah, your dad would kill you if he heard that. You're lying". Even when they don't know each other that well. And the same girl insists that she and my friend's dad get on really well, simply because they'ere both Indian.

I've always wondered this. Not saying EVERY Indian/Pakistani is like this, but a large number of them seem to be. I don't have such an association with other people just because we're both English, so why do these Indians seem to?
WOLLSMOTH
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
tbh if you really are chinese you should try to learn your heritage.
Bear_Grylls
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lmfao at the person who negged me
Joanna May
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by WOLLSMOTH)
tbh if you really are chinese you should try to learn your heritage.
Why?
Erik.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Strangers seems to assume you're Scottish if you have red hair. And when I say I'm not they're like 'ah, but you are originally from Scotland, all red haired people are!'

Really, so what fricking clan do you suppose Boris Becker belongs too then?! Actually I'm English with Welsh, German-Polish and distant Irish extraction (god, I sounded almost American then!)

so it's either that or because I have a rather Welsh-sounding surname (though actually it is not from the Welsh side of my family ) ''ooooh, thats a proper Welsh name that is, are you descended from Dylan Thomas'' - Really, what are the bloody odds of that!? :confused:
Bassoonery
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by randomgirl)
lol those people are silly.

It's like when you tell somebody you are from England, "oh do you know <insert name> (e.g. john smith :p:) ?
I had that once and I actually knew him!
Citizen Zero
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I get the "Oh my god, your English is good!", "Ni hao?!" and "Do you know/are you related to...." things all the time. :ninja:

Bought some candy floss from an elderly lady once; she eyed me and my family up a bit suspiciously at first but then I came out with "Can I have candy floss wiffout a stick please" in my usual Essex accent and she was like "Oooh, your English is very good!" Lolz.
OllyThePhilosopher
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I hate friendly people too.
Feexx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i'm half Eygyptian,and when i was over there i went out to the market with my Mum (who's English.) I wasn't dressed revelingly at all, but because i wasn't completely covered up, some Eygyptian women behind me in a queue started talking about how much of a **** i must be (in Eygyptian of course.) I then turned round and told them i understood every word they were saying....
Poica
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Muppety_Kid)
Tell her in England it's not rude to walk past and ignore people if you say "sorry, I'm in a hurry" or "no speak very good English". :p: How long's she been here? Surely the novelty's worn off by now...
She's been here 3 years but has lived in Western culture (Australia) for longer. She tends only to get these questions when she smiles vaguely at old people though.

Incidentally, she speaks perfect English with no trace of any accent...
ArchedEdge
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My parents are from Malaysia, are Chinese, but raised me, like my older siblings in England and spoke mostly English to me.

I'm awful at Chinese, even though I have a GCSE in it ( I didn't have to do orals)

But I get plenty of Koreans coming up to me and start speaking Korean and I have no bloody idea what the hell they're going on about.

I would've thought that Koreans of all people would be able to recognise the differences and realise I'm Chinese :p:

The only Chinese incident I've had was when some old lady came upto me at the bus stop and start chatting away in Chinese and I was just like. "I don't understand you, sorry!" repeating it over and over again very slowly haha
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by No Future)
Walking along in a city I am visiting...

Couple approach me, Oriental lady, white guy..

Lady "Are you Chinese?"
Me ''Well, yeah'' (I'm mixed)
Lady ''Do you know where XXX (some westernised takeaway) Chinese restaurant is?''

WTF? Yes, I am Chinese and therefore know where all the Chinese restaurants are in any given city? It's like saying, ''Oh you're white, therefore you must know where all the English/French/American type eating establishments are."

-----

In a supermarket...

Old man approaches, kinda creepy guy...

man ''nee hao''
me ''eh? sorry?''
man ''nee hao''
me ''pardon? what?''
man ''THAT''S CHINESE!''

OH MY, REALLY? God, you are a bloody genius! Now leave me alone you weird man!

man ''aren't you from china?''
me ''no. i was born in berkshire.''
man ''oh *looks disappointed*''

Wrong language anyway! (HK heritage so if I could speak Chinese, it'd be Cantonese and therefore Jo San or something)....It'd be like me approaching random people in England and saying hello in Welsh or Celtic...

Anyway, I'm not making a specific point. These were just silly and annoying experiences. Anyone else?
OMG, that's happened to me! :eek: Though it was Punjabi (I think! :confused:) rather than Mandarin. He then figured I didn't speak Punjabi (presuming that's what it was!) and that I wasn't Hindu, so he told me he'd pray for me

I get that kinda stuff all the time: people presuming I'm Indian/Hindu/Sikh/Muslim (ever since 9/11 :rolleyes:) and then making racial stereotypes.

People on the Tube get nervous if I sit near them with my oddly-shaped black case (naaaaaaaah, it must be a bomb, it wouldn't be a violin... :rolleyes:)

I also get stopped in airports a lot! :eek: :rolleyes:

I also get a lot of unwanted attention from dubious Asian men! :eek:

All this is hugely annoying, but don't let it bug you. Unless if racism is involved or implied, I just laugh at people's naivety/stupidity/plain desperation in the case of the dubious men!
Muppety_Kid
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Poica)
She's been here 3 years but has lived in Western culture (Australia) for longer. She tends only to get these questions when she smiles vaguely at old people though.

Incidentally, she speaks perfect English with no trace of any accent...
Weird...if she hasn't got an accent, I would've expected most people to assume she was born here and is actually British. Maybe it's not the fact that she's Chinese, but old people tend to be eager to start conversations, and that's the obvious difference - she looks Asian.

There was a kid at my high school who I think's been here for about 3 years too, but she still has an accent. I guess your friend already knew English from living in Australia, so she's had more exposure to the language. Stupid question, but did she come with an Australian accent? I'm curious to know how far she's influenced by the speakers around her.
No Future
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by screenager2004)
hehe you should just say no
"Are you chinese?" - "no"
"Japanese?" - "no"
"Korean?" - "no"
"Vietnamese?" - "no"
"then what are you?" - "I'm english"
"no but you look asian" - "No I don't"
Ha, yes and pretend I don't know what they are talking about.
Faint_x
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ye i feel the same. and just hate it how every single chinese person i walk past has to stare. no im not related to you mate. :l lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
39.11%
No - but I will (46)
6.81%
No - I don't want to (50)
7.41%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (315)
46.67%

Watched Threads