Ridiculous university choices Watch

This discussion is closed.
foxo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The Lad)
''this person went to bad uni, however, the English department at Thames Valley is really good so I'll employer him'' :rolleyes:
I somewhat doubt anyone would say "I'll employer him", unless they had a truly awful speech impediment.

Believe it or not Strathclyde is a good university and it has a decent reputation in Scotland at least. It is also exceptionally good in certain areas - namely engineering, maths and law. Graduate prospects do reflect that employers are aware of this. Oh, and you may be surprised to know that Strathclyde is actually one of the major IB firm's target universities.
lostinfantasies
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My friend went to a university simply because Wheatus were playing during Fresher's Week.

Do I win?

I also decided to go to Aberdeen because part of the campus felt vaguely Disneyland-ish. But this was because first impressions, on open days, mean a lot to me, and I felt right at home when I got there . It was always going to be my first choice .
Valkyrja
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I chose Bristol over Warwick even though warwick is a wee bit more 'league happy' because I didn't want to live in bubble land, although I chose Bristol over manc because of prestige.
Valkyrja
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It amazes me how people on here go on and on about departments. At the end of they day, when you're out in the big wide world looking for work, most employers are more concerned about which uni you went to rather than if the deprtment in the subject you studied is good or bad. Can you honsestly imagine an employer looking at a CV from someone for example who studied at English at Thames Valley (lets say for this example that Thames Valley had the best English department in the country) thinking ''this person went to bad uni, however, the English department at Thames Valley is really good so I'll employer him'' :rolleyes:
I second your point on this, that's why I wanted to go to a prestigious uni...because even if I end up failing miserably at working in the field I want to I'll always have a "degree from bristol" to my name...
Freud
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My friends think I'm mad for choosing Uni of Leeds over Central Saint Martin's art school, but I just have to get out of London. I get a fair few odd looks for it though.
bkcr20
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It amazes me how people on here go on and on about departments. At the end of they day, when you're out in the big wide world looking for work, most employers are more concerned about which uni you went to rather than if the deprtment in the subject you studied is good or bad. Can you honsestly imagine an employer looking at a CV from someone for example who studied at English at Thames Valley (lets say for this example that Thames Valley had the best English department in the country) thinking ''this person went to bad uni, however, the English department at Thames Valley is really good so I'll employer him'' :rolleyes:
Exactly!! Only people who are real experts in the field you studied will know about the best departments in various universities for that subject. Hardly anyone goes into a career based SOLELY around their degree subject, so it's obviously better from a career point of view to have a degree from a big-name university rather than a supposedly well respected one from a university with a less impressive reputation.
Running Mind
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
But come on mate, would you choose Kingston if you were offered a place at Bristol?
That's very different to Portsmouth over East Anglia. Both are **** universities anyway..
bansheeee*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was wondering if anyone has or knows anaybody that has made a ridiculous university choice. For example, one of friends choose Uni. of Portsmouth over Uni of East Anglia because it had a more vibrant nightlife. :eek:

Another friend was going to choose Kingston Uni over Uni of Bristol :eek: because he's a very good footballer and said there are more opportunities to join football clubs in London than Bristol. I begged and pleaded with him and in the end he saw sense and choose Uni of Bristol over Kingston Uni. He was offered an unconditional place at Uni of Bristol which he starts this October and constantly thanks me for talking sense into him.

So what are your ridiculous uni chocies stories?
whats wrong with Kingston University? I made a ridiculous in choosing to study in england!!! but oh well..too late now!!! but i originally chose roehampton over royal holloway because i thought it was close to wimbledon and i like tennis..but it wasn't ..
faber niger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jackathon)
Its not really ridiculous if its their personal preference.
Indeed. Let's end this snobbery.
foxo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What you fail to understand is that Strathclyde is a good university. Some of you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
suek
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I chose Sheffield Hallam over Cardiff & St George's (accepted at all), and withdrew from Liverpool... guess I'm ridiculous

Why?

1. "The radiotherapy and oncology teaching team includes Angela Duxbury, the UK’s first professor of therapy radiography. Also on the team is Heidi Probst, the UK’s first practising radiotherapist to gain a PhD in radiotherapy."
2. Radiotherapy planning suite on site, rather than having to go all the way to north Wales to get ANY experience of it..
3. Amazing facilities.
4. Large intake - for my personal benefit, more potential course-mate friends, but also therefore more staff and more commitment to the course in general.
5. They offer all the postgrad stuff for radiotherapy - most qualified people end up there somehow.
juicyfruit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Running Mind)
That's very different to Portsmouth over East Anglia. Both are **** universities anyway..
You can't simply say they are rubbish in general, for some courses they are very good.
Don't be so arrogant.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by foxo)
What you fail to understand is that Strathclyde is a good university. Some of you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
Couldn't agree more

(Original post by juicyfruit)
You can't simply say they are rubbish in general, for some courses they are very good.
Don't be so arrogant.
Unforutnately this whole thread is based on arrogance. There is, in my experience, no such thing as a "crap university".
Franc Vouloir
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by dd1989)
I think you are incredibly naive if you think people should be chosing a University based on academic merit.
Oh, incredibly. I mean, what sort of a fool would go to university to study?
circlesquaretriangle
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i think as long as you go to a fairly good uni then it shouldnt matter too much. however ive chosen to do architecture so more of a career based degree (same as medicine, vetinary etc) so im guessing that if i stick with it that as a job then the fact i chose manchester over nottingham/sheffield shouldnt matter too much as theyre all fairly good for that dept and its the design work they focus more on.
i was originally set on ucl or nottingham, but i didnt want to go to london and be piss poor and overwhelmed (theres plenty of time to london in my later life), and considering ill be working with building etc i felt that there was more inspiration to be found if i was slap bang in the middle of manchester rather than on a nature reserve (notts), and i wasnt too hot on sheffs anyway.
however if i had taken a general subject like english, history id probably have focused more on prestige but i knew in the back of my mind that id be happier in a bigger city.
juicyfruit
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by River85)
Couldn't agree more

Unforutnately this whole thread is based on arrogance. There is, in my experience, no such thing as a "crap university".
I agree, university is most certainly what you make of it!
NeverMindThat
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was considering weighing in on this thread, but the replies make me so irritated I cant bring myself to.

All Im going to say is that the rise of "Big Brother Debating" where everyone shouts about how all opinions are equally valid is...distressing.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by NeverMindThat)
I was considering weighing in on this thread, but the replies make me so irritated I cant bring myself to.

All Im going to say is that the rise of "Big Brother Debating" where everyone shouts about how all opinions are equally valid is...distressing.
Yes. You're just an arrogant git who thinks nobody's opinion is valid except his own. That's my experience, anyway.
juicyfruit
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by River85)
Yes. You're just an arrogant git who thinks nobody's opinion is valid except his own. That's my experience, anyway.
Aw you're cool, you really say it as it is :p:
blondyx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
[QUOTE=The Lad]I was wondering if anyone has or knows anaybody that has made a ridiculous university choice. For example, one of friends choose Uni. of Portsmouth over Uni of East Anglia because it had a more vibrant nightlife. :eek: QUOTE]

whats wrong with portsmouth??
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (432)
37.47%
No - but I will (88)
7.63%
No - I don't want to (79)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (554)
48.05%

Watched Threads