suceeding at begging your firm on results day? Watch

bkcr20
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Paulwhy)
Last year for economics both UCL and Warwick had 40% too many students.
That's well annoying - what do they do about stuff like accommodation? Does that mean that some people didn't actually get Warwick and UCL accommodation just so it could be overrun with economics students?!
Paulwhy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by bkcr20)
That's well annoying - what do they do about stuff like accommodation? Does that mean that some people didn't actually get Warwick and UCL accommodation just so it could be overrun with economics students?!
There was some sharing for the 1st couple of weeks. (There are always some people who drop out after a bit). But after that everyone would get their own room.

In terms of who was sharing that would be the students who entered through clearing.
i.e. it would not be economists.
Shadow X
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
so...would anyone recommend preparing a little speech to deliver on results day to an admissions tutor on results day to persuade them to let me in??

or am i being too pesimistic?
blondyx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
So, anyway, does anyone have any replies to the what the post is actually asking?
xJessx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How about...topics came up in the exam which you hadn't concentrated on because you had been given a hint for another area? You could always say exam stress but then they might wonder how you'll handle the stress at degree level.
kiss_me_now9
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by xJessx)
How about...topics came up in the exam which you hadn't concentrated on because you had been given a hint for another area? You could always say exam stress but then they might wonder how you'll handle the stress at degree level.
That might get you into the muddy territory of 'why didn't you revise everything?'

I think the best thing to do would be completly sell yourself - Why you're good, what you can bring to the uni, how much you want to study your subject.
blondyx
Rep:
?
(Original post by kiss_me_now9)
That might get you into the muddy territory of 'why didn't you revise everything?'

I think the best thing to do would be completly sell yourself - Why you're good, what you can bring to the uni, how much you want to study your subject.

What things are you susposed to say about 'what you can bring to the uni'?
xJessx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Obviously you would have to do that too but I'm imagining that the conversation might turn to 'if you're such a good candidate, then why did you fail?' The question I'm dreading and trying to prepare myself for
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I missed my offer last August. When I ran in hysterics into the Careers Office, my Music teacher was there and had clearly been talking to my firm choice's admissions tutor for ages. No idea what he said but they took me anyway, wooh!
blondyx
Rep:
?
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
I missed my offer last August. When I ran in hysterics into the Careers Office, my Music teacher was there and had clearly been talking to my firm choice's admissions tutor for ages. No idea what he said but they took me anyway, wooh!

What was your offer and what did you get?
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by blondyx)
What was your offer and what did you get?
I was meant to get AAA but ended up getting AAB (damn French, grrrr!). Missed my offer by 6 UMS marks

The idea about explaining what you could bring to the uni is a good one. Though I've no idea what my Music teacher said, I got the distinct impression that the admissions tutor had been told something like "If you don't take her, it'll be YOU that misses out"!

ThePenguinMafia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
if you're planning to study medicine there's pretty much no point. Many unis are quite lenient on other courses, though. Even the likes of UCL and ICL will sometimes let you drop a grade.
affinity89
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm most scared about getting the grades but the wrong combination - I need B in German, and two Cs, I'm more than confident about the two Cs and I reckon I could've pulled a B off in General Studies but I won't have got it in German. I've heard that my uni (Kent) is pretty lenient though, and there aren't many people taking my course, so it's fingers crossed I get the grades and fingers doubly crossed that if I don't, they still let me in!
I feel quite lucky in that respect. I need ABB but it doesn't matter what the A is in. That said, I am still freaking out already. Wish we didn't have to wait so long for results - then everything could be sorted out and we could enjoy the summer.

In response to the OP at one of my friend's colleges, the head usually rings up for her students and she almost always gets them in. I know she got someone into Oxford Brookes last year for Law who got CDDE instead of BBB.

Personally though, I won't be ringing up to beg on results day. If I don't get in so be it. Will just use the opportunity to go and do something I want to do, like work abroad.

=D
Denisa
Report 10 years ago
I'm from Romania, I'm applying for International Business with French at the University Birmingham(my firm) and I just got my exam results today...I am close to tears cause my situation defines "narrowly failing". Our grading system goes from 1 to 10. And my conditions were: 8 out of 10 in French; 6 out of 10 in Maths and 8 out of 10 overall grade. And I got a perfect 10 in French, my overall grade is 9.10 but I missed my Maths grade, I got a 5.8 I am going to send the uni my results next week and I think I'm going to ring up. Does anyone think I have a chance?
xJessx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Denisa)
I'm from Romania, I'm applying for International Business with French at the University Birmingham(my firm) and I just got my exam results today...I am close to tears cause my situation defines "narrowly failing". Our grading system goes from 1 to 10. And my conditions were: 8 out of 10 in French; 6 out of 10 in Maths and 8 out of 10 overall grade. And I got a perfect 10 in French, my overall grade is 9.10 but I missed my Maths grade, I got a 5.8 I am going to send the uni my results next week and I think I'm going to ring up. Does anyone think I have a chance?
I think you have a really good chance. It also depends on what subject you're planning to do - as you're planning to do French, your French grade will be more important than Maths and you got perfect grades in it. You only missed it by 0.2. I'm not familiar with your system but I think you should be optimistic. Good luck and congrats on the French
TI-84
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
IB students already got their grades.
so we will be calling up and pleading universities pretty soon.
ps: how is it if you narrowly missed your insurance offer?? :p:
Denisa
Report 10 years ago
hey... just wanted to say that The University of Birmingham just confirmed my place (even though I had slightly missed one of my grades) with no begging what so ever from me. So don't panic if on the 14th you don't get exactly what you need. You might still have a chance! good luck!
kates:)
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This thread is making me nervous!
I had to end up going through Extra to get a place for History and Exeter offered me AAA (which is what I was predicted - really doubt i'll get it!) but others have been offered AAB, even one person offered ABBC as they were doing 4 A levels so I'm hoping if I were to get AAB then they would still take me!
Also, does anyone know if we have to ring up or if our teacher can?
christyhk717
Report 10 years ago
I have applied for Imperial Biochemistry this year and got an offer ABB ( including A in Chemistry) .

However, I think I would end up getting AAC ( A in Chemistry, A in Maths and C in Biology). Is there any chance that they will accept me in the first round? or do I have to phone them and begging for the offer?
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by kates:))
This thread is making me nervous!
I had to end up going through Extra to get a place for History and Exeter offered me AAA (which is what I was predicted - really doubt i'll get it!) but others have been offered AAB, even one person offered ABBC as they were doing 4 A levels so I'm hoping if I were to get AAB then they would still take me!
Also, does anyone know if we have to ring up or if our teacher can?
My teacher rang up on my behalf last year, so I don't think there's anything saying that teachers can't ring
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (61)
37.89%
No - but I will (6)
3.73%
No - I don't want to (10)
6.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (84)
52.17%

Watched Threads