55.88%
Simpsons (45)
44.12%
chernij
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Family Guy, seeing as I can't watch any new episodes of the Simpsons as Sky has all the rights
- skyhigh -
Report 10 years ago
Family guy. The Simpsons has been getting a bit repetitive.
Mad5am
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by RightSaidJames)
Family Guy is just immature humour, and most of it is just derived from lame "Remember when X happened" flashback sequences or what ifs, which programs like Scrubs do a lot of too.
Ah, I was gonna watch Family Guy but I've been put off by that South Park episode (with the manatees?) where they criticise family guy for not having many jokes derived from the storyline.
looloo90
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i dont find simpsons remotely funny whereas family guy always has me LOLing.
plagaan
Report 10 years ago
I think the jokes are a bit cleverer in family guy, but I think the simpsons knicks it just because of one or two classic homer episodes.
Student2806
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Older episodes of the Simpsons are on a different level to anything Family Guy does, but in general Family Guy manages to be good more consistently.

I just wish they would give more rights to broadcasters other than Sky. I can't remember the last new episodes Channel 4 showed.
variusers
Report 10 years ago
simpsons was amazing before season 10 but then it just got waay to sexual, i wouldn't mind but it started off innocent and thats why i fell in love with it. family guy has always stayed true and they take more risks with the their jokes.

family guy all the way
worldwide
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The Simpsons every time. Has no-one noticed that Family Guy IS The Simpsons, but more puerile and rather less clever. In trying to be more adult with more risque humour, it just ends up sounding immature a lot of the time. Sure, it has its moments, but the series has already been cancelled twice, whereas The Simpsons has run for an incredible number of episodes. The creator of Family Guy is a massive Simpsons fan, hence why his series feels like a second-rate homage. Irrelevant jokes to the plot, some of which sound like they were created by manatees (thanks south park for that one) don't help. Almost every single line in the Simpsons is a joke, an in-joke or a film reference. It's satire, which a lot of people don't seem to get. Every character in the Simpsons is a nod to a part of middle America. Can the same be said of Family Guy? It just doesn't work on the same level. Perhaps the JOKES in the Simpsons aren't always laugh-out-loud, but that isn't its intention: it's about visual humour, satire, subtle references to popular culture and much more. Family Guy is simply a sketch show with frequently the mere semblance of plot which seems to serve only as string to bind together irrelevant jokes.
Rob500
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Family Guy without a doubt, makes me laugh every time whereas with the Simpsons, I can take it or leave it.
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The very best of the simpsons is on a different level to anything of Family Guy IMO. Classics which can be seen over and over and over again. Thats not to say Family Guy is crap, I love it but it's a bit more hit and miss I think. Last few series of simpsons have been crap though and not very entertaining, family guy has stepped in very well and filled the gap.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by worldwide)
The Simpsons every time. Has no-one noticed that Family Guy IS The Simpsons, but more puerile and rather less clever. In trying to be more adult with more risque humour, it just ends up sounding immature a lot of the time. Sure, it has its moments, but the series has already been cancelled twice, whereas The Simpsons has run for an incredible number of episodes. The creator of Family Guy is a massive Simpsons fan, hence why his series feels like a second-rate homage. Irrelevant jokes to the plot, some of which sound like they were created by manatees (thanks south park for that one) don't help. Almost every single line in the Simpsons is a joke, an in-joke or a film reference. It's satire, which a lot of people don't seem to get. Every character in the Simpsons is a nod to a part of middle America. Can the same be said of Family Guy? It just doesn't work on the same level. Perhaps the JOKES in the Simpsons aren't always laugh-out-loud, but that isn't its intention: it's about visual humour, satire, subtle references to popular culture and much more. Family Guy is simply a sketch show with frequently the mere semblance of plot which seems to serve only as string to bind together irrelevant jokes.

well thats fine if you want to chuckle over a brandy with a roaring fire, but if you just want a laugh which you dont have to concentrate on the family guy wins every time for me.
this is a comedy and that means it makes you laugh, family guy does this every time wether the jokes are relevent to the plot or not, simpsons has no dignity left if it quit ages ago it would be legend now its just that show that doesnt know when to stop.
Phalanges
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Family Guy, no question.

It consistently manages to be one of the few shows on TV which makes me laugh out loud every single show.

It also doesn't matter that it goes off on tangents, that is half of it's charm. And it's hardly a new mechanism (great comics have been doing it for decades - take the Two Ronnies, for instance).
gracie88
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Family Guy. I only buy TV shows on DVD if i really like them and watch them a lot, i have all of Family Guy and none of the Simpsons. I used to like the Simpsons a lot but now it's just something i have on in the background.
t.w.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The Simpsons is pretty much consistently hilarious. The thing with the Simpsons is you can watch the same episode later and notice new jokes that you didn't find funny before. I've never understood the appeal of Family Guy - anyone got a link of a clip that they consider to demonstrate its comedic value?
username138106
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
People are using the Simpsons movie to condone Family Guy? Has no-one seen the FG movie? Hours I'm not getting back. Compare the two.

(Then compare both to the South Park film... they, er, both lose. Oh.)

The Family Guy movie was worse than the time they put Michael J Fox in Knight Rider.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by t.w.)
The Simpsons is pretty much consistently hilarious. The thing with the Simpsons is you can watch the same episode later and notice new jokes that you didn't find funny before. I've never understood the appeal of Family Guy - anyone got a link of a clip that they consider to demonstrate its comedic value?
i used to think like you watched one episode and thought it was worse than sleeping with a rhinoceros that doesnt love you any more.
a freind told me to persist with it and now its my favorite show. watch a few more episodes and then make your mind up, takes some getting in to.
redbluegreen
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Simpsons.

Simpsons.

Simpsons.

Seriously, why is this even a question?
$loth
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Family guy.. simpsons isn't actually funny, just quite a good show, and that only lasted the first several years... it should have been cancelled a long time ago.
.Andrew.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Family Guy, by hundreds of miles... Giggity Giggity

The Simpsons is lame now-a-days ;yes;
atoms4peace
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 1721)
i used to think like you watched one episode and thought it was worse than sleeping with a rhinoceros that doesnt love you any more.
a freind told me to persist with it and now its my favorite show. watch a few more episodes and then make your mind up, takes some getting in to.
haha
nice peter quote there.:p:
but i agree you definately have to "get into it" before you find it really funny. Its an aquired taste. There are some dud episodes, like one i watched the other night and it was just like a starwars parody the whole way through but on the whole its niiice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (490)
37.72%
No - but I will (100)
7.7%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.77%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (621)
47.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise