Change, coppers etc Watch

secretmessages
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Freud)
Simple as that? Thanks
Yep, and I think they're free (at least NatWest do them free, just go in and ask for some coin bags ). You can probably get them on the internet too, but you'd have to pay for them.
kftjkp
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I like counting coins - it's therapeutic.
BurningSnowman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by marcusmerehay)
imagine putting a full tube of Pringles into the Coinstar x)
The saturated fat isn't good for them.

I deposited £31 in 20p's and less recently, didn't actually take very long to count.
sandettielightvessel
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Most banks happily hand them out for free. It doesn't take that long to count up a bag, if you have a jar/pot - and I don't make a special trip to put it in the bank, just take it with me next time I'm off into town.
XxJaninexX
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
My little brother counted them out and i bought him a big bar of chocolate lol.

£109
Sharpnel
Report 10 years ago
smelting coins affects the money supply!

i reckon it wouldnt be too difficult to rig up a smelting furnace though, needs to reach 1100ºC

fun afternoon if youre bored
McPhee8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
7.9p of every pound I think it is.
DannyOwens
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not that much to count then... Now bag it up in coin bags and get it to the bank!
tomgraham17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm sure the last time I tried to exchange bags of coins in my bank (Abbey) I was told I could pay in a maximum of 3 bags per day. Anyone else experienced this?

Tom
Spotty Dog
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tomgraham17)
I'm sure the last time I tried to exchange bags of coins in my bank (Abbey) I was told I could pay in a maximum of 3 bags per day. Anyone else experienced this?

Tom
I've had this at Abbey too, but most other banks are different.

Abbey have extremely poor customer skills.
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've just counted mine and bagged it up!

£17.14.
Ghost
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In light of this thread, I have decided to count all of the coppers I could find.

I couldn't be bothered counting them myself, so I took them to a coinstar. I came to a grand total of £2.34, which the coinstar happily took 7% of. I then exchanged my vouchers for cash, and then got in my car to drive home. Half way along the dual carriageway, there was a huge roadblock, so I needed to turn all the way back, and then take long winding country roads home. Half way along the main long winding country road, I came across another road blockage, in the form of about 200 cows. I turned back, and went to take another road home. After two hours of driving, I realised I was lost. I went down a lane to try and ask a farmer for directions, but got my car stuck in the mud half way along the lane. I then called the AA, who charged me £40 to move my car and point me in the right direction.

So as a result of my coin counting, I earned a grand total of -£70. A grand success.
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ghost)
In light of this thread, I have decided to count all of the coppers I could find.

I couldn't be bothered counting them myself, so I took them to a coinstar. I came to a grand total of £2.34, which the coinstar happily took 7% of. I then exchanged my vouchers for cash, and then got in my car to drive home. Half way along the dual carriageway, there was a huge roadblock, so I needed to turn all the way back, and then take long winding country roads home. Half way along the main long winding country road, I came across another road blockage, in the form of about 200 cows. I turned back, and went to take another road home. After two hours of driving, I realised I was lost. I went down a lane to try and ask a farmer for directions, but got my car stuck in the mud half way along the lane. I then called the AA, who charged me £40 to move my car and point me in the right direction.

So as a result of my coin counting, I earned a grand total of -£70. A grand success.
Score!
Clefeen
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Prudy)
It's better to count it out yourself and take it to the bank.
I agree! ;grin;
trefusis128
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
HSBC do indeed have free to use coinstars (at my local branch atleast), which deposit the money directly into your account- very useful indeed
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I had a coinstar voucher today for £150(and 36p). Most of it was in coppers - I don't blame him for using coinstar!

(He had removed it from his recently deceased mothers house. She'd been hoarding several boxes of them, apparently.)
SuperDaz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have several small piles of coins around my room, I might count them today as I have nothing else to do.

Going to banks ftw. You can't let large conglomerates like Morrisons take 8% of your money :eek2:
biffyclyro27
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
buy a coin sorter, do it that way
watermelon sugar
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
take it to the bank duh!
my change just accumulates all over my room, i had a carrier bag of it before!
Angelica
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I always just take it to the bank. It's actually more effort to get to my nearest supermarket with a coinstar than to get to my nearest bank. And I've never found it takes that long to count it. In fact, in a weird way, it's almost therapeutic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (552)
37.81%
No - but I will (115)
7.88%
No - I don't want to (102)
6.99%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.33%

Watched Threads