Worth doing a 2nd Degree for PhD? Watch

titanlux
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by mipmapped)
Like I said before; if you do you can show your MSc supervisor that in actual fact you were a 2.1 / 1st level student and that things just went wrong (i.e. showing them through the quality of your work), they can sponsor you / pull some strings in the department. Getting funding will be hard with a 2.2, but that apparently isn't a problem for you.
Hmm it isn't a massive deal for another BSc but a PhD is a different matter.

Are you saying that i'd most likely have to stay at my institution where i do my masters?

As a side note, i see from a few places in the EU that the degree classification isn't massively important as long as you've done 5 years worth of higher level education and they like your research proposal
mipmapped
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Are you saying that i'd most likely have to stay at my institution where i do my masters?
Not necessarily, it just might make things easier for you. As I said, funding could still be problematic, but you'll just have to keep plugging away. Apply to as many places as you can and keep your fingers crossed.

As you're willing to go to Europe check out what kinds of EU monies you can claim too.

Proposal is very important too, as you point out.
titanlux
Rep:
?
Not necessarily, it just might make things easier for you. As I said, funding could still be problematic, but you'll just have to keep plugging away. Apply to as many places as you can and keep your fingers crossed.

As you're willing to go to Europe check out what kinds of EU monies you can claim too.

What do you think about doing a 1 year masters in the UK or IE and then applying for a doctoral training course which is a 1 year master+PhD which is funded. I already had an offer from one of those conditional 2.1
Kitty Pimms
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm told that's not so much the case for scientists since they tend to slot in to pre-existing research teams, although I'm willing to be proved wrong!
flexiblefish
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by IlexAquifolium)
I'm told that's not so much the case for scientists since they tend to slot in to pre-existing research teams, although I'm willing to be proved wrong!
nah, you are pretty much correct. the topics and research theme is pretty much set in stone, as this is the way the funded is allocated from the councils direct to phd scholarships.
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't get how you can really be correctly motivated to do a PhD when you don't have any experience studying the subject you want to do it in. IF you are really desperate to re-train as a practical biologist then I can't see any other way than to do a BSc, however if you are interested in mathematical biology then an MSc should be enough to convince people to let you on to a PhD programme.
titanlux
Rep:
?
(Original post by ChemistBoy)
I don't get how you can really be correctly motivated to do a PhD when you don't have any experience studying the subject you want to do it in. IF you are really desperate to re-train as a practical biologist then I can't see any other way than to do a BSc, however if you are interested in mathematical biology then an MSc should be enough to convince people to let you on to a PhD programme.
I hadn't realised the thread was moved

Yes you're right. My main aim is to do the PhD in the computational biology/mathematical biology field. I have certain training at undergraduate level in mathematical biology but none in biology itself. I was getting worried when i saw every phd programme asking for a 2.1, that's why I wanted to do another BSc (anything even mildly relevant).

There seems to be a bit of a discrepancy between the EU and UK with PhDs: in the UK there seems to be slots as was mentioned earlier for people to just drop into. But are you employed by the institution while you do your research?

In the EU you apply for a job vacancy at the uni or submit your research proposal and if they like it, they'll have you and pay you. What do you think? What it never stipulates is any undergraduate classification:confused: - Has anyone seen/had differently?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed