Girls: Scared of giving birth? Watch

zandiana jones
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I decided when I was 10 that I'd never have children. I had a poor upbrining and I think I'd be a useless parent.

I'm 22 and still dont plan on having children. I do love babies just couldnt deal with having one myself. I know the process is natural but just thinking about it makes my insides squirm. The idea of something growing inside you, kicking and moving is just creepy (alien or what!?!?!). It just doesnt seem natural to me.

Then the birthing process.... OMG.... I have a high pain threshold but I dont plan on getting myself in the situation where giving birth is an option. Having to push something out of there makes me feel sick :puke:.

I'm not insulting anyone who wants children or has them, my sister want a dozen children. I think people who go through that are amazing and brave... just children and child baring isnt for me.
eve_22
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have a four year old son, and my birth process lasted for 14hours until they took me to emergency to do the C section...I had an epidural beforehand but it did not help all that much Yes, birth is scary however it is sooo worth it once you are holding your child for the first time...
olive*
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm absolutely terrified.
oh_eight
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by *Bleachage*)
Heya
Am I the only person who feels scared of giving birth the natural way? Its just I've heard all these horror stories of getting ripped and lots of blood and unless I could have a C-Section, then I feel like I could not have kids because Im too scared of the natural way.

I was just wondering if anyone else felt the same
Yep, I'm scared. Then again, I am seventeen and no where near wanting a child at the moment. But I think when I'm in a healthy, loving relationship where we are both ready for (emotionally, financially, etc) and wanting children then I won't feel so scared about the pain, because surely it would be worth it.
sophisticated
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It bothers me at the moment, but when the time actually comes I expect I will just want it out and over with....
DalekLover
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, i know that when i'm older i will want to have kids, but the thing that puts me off is the pain. I have a low pain threshold. You hear all these stories about horrible experiences in the media, and sometimes when you get hurt and you complain people say 'dont be silly, thats nothing compared to childbirth'.

But all the same, i won't let it get in the way when the time comes to have a child.
Aconite
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's not really something I tend to think about.

But then, I don't give much thought to kiddies and squishy stuff like that, either.
iolaus
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have three kids, really by the time you are full term you just want baby out and that's the end of it. I didn't find it hurt anywhere near as badly as I'd imagined (people talk of pain so bad you'd rather die, never got to that stage, got to the 'oh ****** this hurts' stage and the 'I've had enough, just stop this, I'll stay pregnant forever' - that last one tends to be the contraction before your body decides to push)

Not had an epidural - have you seen the size of that needle? There is no way someone is coming towards my spine with a needle -plus you have to sit really still through about 3 contractions to get it sited, and it hurts less if you move more.

Sections more elegant - there was talk of me needing one with my first because of the placenta, and when I found out I had to do it myself having come to terms with the idea of needing a section I was a little scared - now there is no way I'd have one unless medically needed. Plus I'm a midwife now (wasn't when I had my kids) there is no way people are seeing my fat - no matter how skinny you are the fat they see when they do a section is disgusting (yellow and looks a little like soaking wet loft insulation) - even Victoria Beckham I reckon - I'm not letting people see that - my foof not so bothered about. It's major abdominal surgery
iolaus
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DalekLover)
Yeah, i know that when i'm older i will want to have kids, but the thing that puts me off is the pain. I have a low pain threshold. You hear all these stories about horrible experiences in the media, and sometimes when you get hurt and you complain people say 'dont be silly, thats nothing compared to childbirth'.

But all the same, i won't let it get in the way when the time comes to have a child.
Labour pain is completely different, I am such a wuss when it comes to pain, even stubbing my toe (I end up in tears at the dentist half the time through the pain) I'd give birth with no pain relief again tomorrow rather than have a root canal filling, or most other sorts of pain
Antonia87
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd opt for a C-section. I dont want to poo and wee on the bed with my legs in stirrups and a bunch of people poking my beaver. And I certainly dont want to be stitched up down there afterwards. Not happening.
h82think
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm not afraid.

When I had an injection (BCG) at school everyone said it would hurt- it didn't!
When I had a filling at the dentist everyone said it would hurt- it didn't!
When I needed stitches everyone said it would hurt- it didn't!

All of them were uncomfortable, but I was no worse off.

Do I believe the hype about how painful child birth is... definitely not!
Schroedinger's Pandora
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
But guys! Aren't we forgetting something here?

The stretch marks, the big sag of skin around your middle that you have to cover up for the rest of your life; the weakened stomach muscles, the saggy boobs, the sore boobs, the boobs that swing around your waist if you're not wearing the proper scaffolding.. The fact that your boobs will squirt out milk in public if you hear a baby cry.. The sickness, the hormones, the incontinence... All gets topped off by not being allowed to sleep for a couple of years and having your life zapped away from under your nose. you're skint, your friends don't invite you out. Tell you what, SOD THAT! I'll do it when i'm 35 and none of this will matter. As much.
suzie_h
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My sister in law had a c section last friday and they said she could have as many children as she wanted through further c sections, if she wanted. The incision is only about 4 inches and they wanted her out of hospital by the sunday. She had the stitch out 5 days later and can walk around fine and everything. Yep she was in lots of pain after but just having the baby more than makes up for it. Hasn't really put me off, but will be a good few years before it gets to that point.
chloecouture
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd be scared of giving birth too. I can't take any pain at all and i wouldn't be able to have an epidural either, i hate needles too. My Mum was in labor with me for 60 hours or something ridiculous like that and that ended up having a caesarean and she always goes on about how bad it was so thats put me off too. But i guess i'll just deal with it when i need to.
Jelkin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by xJessx)
I can't even begin to comprehend giving birth the natural way. I'd go as far as to not have children just to avoid it although I don't think this would really affect me as I don't want them anyway. I feel bad though worrying about something so superficial sometimes though - I coulsn't handle any of the physical aspects, I don't want a saggy fanny or stitches! Sorry for the graphicness lol
Ditto. Oh God, it makes me feel sick to think about. Why do men never have to go through anything like this? All they have to do is ejaculate :mad:
SquishyHomie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by obsession)
It's interesting how some of the girls are horrified by the thought of little stitches if the vagina would happen to break, while the others would prefer to have one but big on their stomach.

im not terrified of them breaking...im terrified of the stitching in the first place! i mean holy crap OUCH!
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's called Tokophobia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_of_childbirth

To those of you who'd say you'd rather have a c-section, I assume none of you have ever had an abdominal operation? There is no way I'd ever want a c-scetion unless it was absolutely necessary.
Areontas
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah I am, but so many women go through it. I think it's one of those things where I'll only give it proper thought once I get to that stage.
musical_moose
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Antonia87)
I dont want to poo and wee on the bed.
I didn't even realise this happened to most women until my lovely (male) housemate told me recently. I was shocked. :P

I guess at the time you have other more important things to worry about !!
Elvendork
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Terrified.
I think I might adopt instead.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (211)
39.59%
No - but I will (35)
6.57%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.75%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (251)
47.09%

Watched Threads